70% of milk in Delhi, country is adulterated

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

[h=1]70% of milk in Delhi, country is adulterated[/h]NEW DELHI: Beware, your daily glass of good health could actually be doing you harm. As much as 70% of milk samples picked up from the capital by a government agency failed to conform to standards.

Of the 71 samples randomly taken from Delhi for testing by the Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), 50 were found to be contaminated with glucose and skim milk powder (SMP), which is usually added to milk in the lean season to enhance volumes.

Elsewhere in the 33 states and UTs study, milk was found adulterated with detergent, fat and even urea, besides the age-old dilution with water. Across the country, 68.4% of the samples were found contaminated.

Only in Goa and Puducherry did 100% of the samples tested conform to required standards. At the other end were West Bengal, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa and Mizoram, where not a single sample tested met the norms.

Other prominent states fared just a shade better. Around 89% of the samples tested from Gujarat, 83% from Jammu & Kashmir, 81% from Punjab, 76% from Rajasthan, 70% from Delhi and Haryana and 65% from Maharashtra failed the test. Around half of the samples from Madhya Pradesh (48%) also met a similar fate.

States with comparatively better results included Kerala where 28% of samples did not conform to the FSSAI standards, Karnataka (22%), Tamil Nadu (12%) and Andhra Pradesh (6.7%).

The samples were collected randomly and analysed from 33 states totaling a sample size of 1,791. Just 31.5% of the samples tested (565) conformed to the FSSAI standards while the rest 1,226 (68.4%) failed the test.

A study conducted by Food Safety Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) across 33 states has found that milk was adulterated with detergent, fat and even urea, besides the age-old practice of diluting it with water. Across the country, 68.4% of the samples were found contaminated.

These were sent to government laboratories like Department of Food and Drug Testing of Puducherry, Central Food Laboratory in Pune, Food Reasearch and Standardization Laboratory in Ghaziabad, State Public Health Laboratory in Guwahati and Central Food Laboratory, Kolkata, for testing against presence of adulterants like fat, neutralizers, hydrogen peroxide, sugar, starch, glucose, urea, detergent, formalin and vegetable fat.

Detergent was found in 103 samples (8.4%). "This was because milk tanks were not properly washed. Detergents in milk can cause health problems," FSSAI official told TOI. The non-conforming samples in rural areas numbered 381 (31%) out of which 64 (16.7%) were packet milk and 317 (83.2%) were loose samples.

In urban areas, the number of non-confirming samples were 845 (68.9%) out of which 282 (33.3%) were packed and 563 (66.6%) were loose.

The most common adulteration was that of fat and solid not food (SNF), found in 574 (46.8%) of the non-conforming samples. This, scientists say, is because of dilution of milk with water. The second highest parameter of non-conformity was skim milk powder in 548 samples (44.69%) which includes presence of glucose in 477 samples. Glucose could have been added to milk probably to enhance SNF.

The report asked state enforcement authorities to check whether the new FSSAI rules are being complied with. An earlier first-of-its-kind study of milk boiling habits that involved 2,400 women across eight major cities had found that Chandigarh leads the pack in boiling milk, doing it more than three times a day. While 84% women in Kolkata boiled milk for more than five minutes, about 46% of women in Pune preferred to boil milk in high temperatures. The study, by the Indian Medical Academy, said, "About 49% boil milk more than thrice before consumption. Around 56% boil it for more than 5 minutes, and 73% don't stir while boiling," said Dr Pawan Gupta, IMA.

Times View

This only confirms that food adulteration is common in India. Even milk, consumed primarily by children, isn't spared. What's particularly worrying is the kind of substances used to adulterate, including toxic chemicals. This shows the trade off between the risk of getting caught and the 'reward' of huge profits is skewed heavily in favour of the latter. The government must focus on raising the risks to the adulterator. One way of doing this is by hiking the penalty, including making it analogous to attempt to murder in extreme cases. It's equally important to regularly check foodstuff for adulteration and ensure speedy trials.

Sridhar and Singh like this.
  3. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Good thing i dont drink milk :cool2:

djuksoni and W.G.Ewald like this.
  4. Daredevil

What about coffee and Tea or even curd or lassi? :cool2:

5. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I don't mind if its adulterated with skim milk powder or glucose. I drink Nestle Slim Milk or use milk powder !

6. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

Yeah, I've always combined whisky with my cereal, even as a young child :D

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  7. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Wow. No Bengali has ever tasted milk in it's purest form. :D

8. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Try Idli with beer

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  9. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Milk is rarely adulterated with rum.

10. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

What breeds are Indian dairy cows & can these breeds be improved?

11. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

That's the old news. Situation is alarming in and around Delhi. I remembered when i was in Delhi in 1992. Police raided various places in Haryana and UP close to Delhi who were making milk with shampoo and urea. Interestingly after 20 yrs they are still making it.

police mili hui ha

Atleast we are getting pure milk and meat in Holland...

maomao likes this.
  12. hitesh

hitesh New Member

that's the reason i always keep a cow for my daily drinks , i never take chance :scared2:

13. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Poor cows has no hand in it... so leave poor cows out :lol: ...... the adulterers are responsible for this and this breed is hard to improve.

14. Daredevil

There are quite a few

Breeds of Cattle and their Selection — India Development Gateway

http://www.indg.in/agriculture/animalhusbandary/breeds-of-cattle-and-their-selection#anc3

They need a lot of improvement in terms of milk giving capacity.

An alternative for the cows is Buffalos - which give high fat content milk although in limited quantities. Diaries all around India use cows, buffaloes and combination of both to produce milk.

India is the world's largest producer of the milk in absolute numbers but much less in per-capita terms.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  15. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

What kind of milk are we talking about here? I always buy "packet milk". Branded packet milk, like Nandhini. Is packet milk also included in this adulteration survey? Or does the survey talk only about "loose milk" sold by doodhwalas?

16. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Packet milk also supplied by doothwalas to the factories

17. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Milk consumption in Delhi is so high south style packet milk won't do.I think It is mostly dhoodh wala milk.

18. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

I think this situation is beyond being serious; just think of the kids who consume this adulterated milk on a daily basis - what type of next generation we will have in India? Spastic and Dyslexic or even worse?

19. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Water and juice.

I haven't had coffee for years and never in my life had tea! I must be the only person in India to have never tasted tea.

20. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

I have stopped drinking milk. Yep, I used to drink a glassful of milk. Now, I drink coffee, but soon will try to give it up as well. I dont have any confidence that the Govts will stop this adulteration.

I think most packet milks are also adulterated. Many such cases were busted and many brands of packets were retrieved, I think.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  21. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Best thing is keep a cow/ buffalo/ goat.

johnee likes this.