50 killed in Orlando, Florida, US shooting

Rushil51

Country flag
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...at-gay-club/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.95e7f643cf86

A gunman opened fire inside a crowded gay nightclub in Orlando, killing 50 people and injuring dozens more in a rampage that was the deadliest mass shooting in the country’s history.

Authorities in Orlando said Sunday that the siege at Pulse, a popular gay bar and dance club, was quickly deemed an act of domestic terrorism. In addition to the 50 people killed, another 53 were injured, officials said. Police had said earlier Sunday that 20 people were killed before saying that the toll was significantly higher.

The gunman was killed by police officers in a shootout after the rampage, authorities said. It was not immediately clear if the death toll included the gunman.

While police have not officially identified the gunman, law enforcement officials and relatives on Sunday identified him as Omar Mateen, a 29-year-old from Fort Pierce, Fla.

“We’re dealing with something we never imagined and is unimaginable,” Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said during a news briefing Sunday. Dyer said he had issued a state of emergency in the city and asked the governor to issue a similar order for the state.

Police have not identified a possible motive, and details about Mateen’s background were scarce on Sunday morning. His family is from Afghanistan, while Mateen is believed to have been born in the United States.

One relative said that Mateen’s family was in shock after being told on Sunday morning about his involvement. This relative said Mateen’s family was very sorry about what had happened.

“It appears he was organized and well-prepared,” Orlando Police Chief John Mina said at a news conference earlier Sunday.

At least 42 people were transported to various hospitals, Mina said, adding that one officer was wounded.

“This is an incident … that we certainly classify as a domestic terror incident,” Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said at the news conference. The FBI is involved in the investigation, authorities said.

“We had a crime that will have a lasting effect on our community,” Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer said. “We need to stand strong, we need to be supportive of the victims and their families.”

Officials said Sunday they found “an assault-type rifle and a handgun” at the scene. In addition, a law enforcement official said Mateen was previously known to authorities, but said he was not under investigation.

The White House said President Obama was briefed on the incident Sunday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the victims,” the White House said in a statement. “The President asked to receive regular updates as the FBI, and other federal officials, work with the Orlando Police to gather more information, and directed that the federal government provide any assistance necessary to pursue the investigation and support the community.”

Police said that during the shootout with the gunman, one Orlando police officer was shot and saved by his Kevlar helmet.

The horrific incident began as Saturday gave way to Sunday at the crowded club. Around 2 a.m., Pulse Orlando posted an urgent message on Facebook: “Everyone get out of pulse and keep running.”

Within minutes of the shooting, police vehicles and a SWAT team descended on the club, which had more than 300 people inside as the shooting began.

“I was there,” Ricardo J. Negron posted on the club’s Facebook page several hours later. “Shooter opened fire @ around 2:00am. People on the dance floor and bar got down on the floor and some of us who were near the bar and back exit managed to go out through the outdoor area and just ran. I am safely home and hoping everyone gets home safely as well.”

An officer working at the club exchanged fire with the gunman, authorities said. It was then, according to police, that the incident developed into “a hostage situation.”

Authorities said the man was armed with an “suspicious device,” in addition to his guns, Mina, the police chief, told reporters.

About three hours after the initial reports of gunfire, the SWAT team launched a rescue operation and killed the gunman, authorities said.

“The decision was made to rescue hostages that were in there,” Mina said.

Police later reported that a sound heard at the club was a “controlled explosion.”

Jon Alamo told the Associated Press that he was near the back of the club when the gunman appeared near the front of the building.

“I heard 20, 40, 50 shots,” Alamo said. “The music stopped.”

Rob Rick said the violence erupted as the night was winding down.

“Everybody was drinking their last sip,” he said.

Rick told the AP that he estimated more than 100 people were still inside when the shooting began. He hit the ground and crawled toward a DJ booth, he said. Some people managed to escape out of the back of the club after a bouncer knocked down a partition between the club area and a restricted area leading to an exit, he noted.

Mina Justice told the AP that her son, Eddie, texted her when the rampage began and asked her to call police.

From the AP:

He told her he ran into a bathroom with other club patrons to hide.

He then texted her: “He’s coming.”

“The next text said: ‘He has us, and he’s in here with us,'” she said. “That was the last conversation.”

The early-Sunday rampage followed the fatal shooting Friday night of a pop singer who was killed while signing autographs following a performance at an Orlando concert venue. Christina Grimmie, a 22-year-old singer who was a finalist on NBC’s show “The Voice,” died hours after being shot by a gunman who then shot himself, police said.

Last edited:

indiatester

Country flag
Thats terrible. My sympathies to the victims and their families.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Tagging more people for such important news ie. biggest mass "shooting" in US history.It's interesting that they are not calling it a "Terrorist ATTACK" but just some "shooting" by a "gunman".

As a FACT the gunmen turned out to be a Muslim(no surprise) born in US,having Afghan roots and was already on US watch list of ISIS sympathizer.Proves one thing that it doesn't matter how good you feed a snake but he is gonna bite you back one day.America tastes some Islamic Terrorism at homeland once again.

As usual Osama(Obama) gave a small rhetoric speech and went away and his responsibility is over.Meanwhile TRUMP has following to say ie. "Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!"
[tweet]742034549232766976[/tweet]

Oh and let's see the face of Terrorist called "Omar Saddiqui Mateen" who pledged allegiance to ISIS and slaughtered 50+ Americans at home.

Few pics from the scene...

=======================================================================================
@Abhijat @A chauhan @Alien @alphacentury @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @blueblood @brational @Bangalorean @Blackwater @Bornubus @bose @cobra commando @DingDong @DFI_COAS @ersakthivel @gpawar @guru-dutt @hit&run @Indx TechStyle @jackprince @Kharavela @Illusive @I_PLAY_BAD @LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab @maomao @Mad Indian @OneGrimPilgrim @Peter @pmaitra @Razor @raja696 @Rowdy @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @saty @sydsnyper @Srinivas_K @Screambowl @sorcerer @Simple_Guy @Sylex21 @wickedone @tarunraju @TrueSpirit2 @thethinker @VIP @Vishwarupa @VIP @Varahamihira @roma

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

I am very happy with the communion of west & Islam, both are ideal for each other.
May this exemplary love exist till death do them part.
even after all this the colourful 'muhrricans are getting that itch to play 'bash bash trump trump'. pray that the deceased get reborn in a wiser america. my condolences end at that.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
So democrats will play the gun control card and republicans will play the Muslim card.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Country flag
This kind of speculation doesn't suit you. You're a mature member and I usually like your posts.

RIP to the dead.

Neo this is not speculation check the link. He is a Pashtun but this is all irrelevant. He was born in NYC and in USA his whole life he was American. They are still trying to find link to terror groups but this seems almost more like a hate crime. The link I provided is interesting if true his father once tried to run for afghan presidency. He doesn't fit the usual terrorist
Mold but these kind of incidents make it bad for all Muslims even though the actions are from very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Neo this is not speculation check the link. He is a Pashtun but this is all irrelevant. He was born in NYC and in USA his whole life he was American. They are still trying to find link to terror groups but this seems almost more like a hate crime. The link I provided is interesting if true his father once tried to run for afghan presidency. He doesn't fit the usual terrorist
Mold but these kind of incidents make it bad for all Muslims even though the actions are from very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hence proved that any mulla can be brainwashed anytime. his passport must have paki stamp

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles