5 Reasons Why I Find "Celebrate India" Advt Bovine Defecation

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by tarunraju, Aug 16, 2013.

1. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

On August 14, Indian Xinhua boss Manish Tiwari launched the second phase of Congress party's Bharat Nirman campaign, which includes a massive 2-minute TV commercial (120 seconds is a lot of airtime for a commercial), titled "Celebrate India," which is now blasting away at practically every TV channel. While I concede the soundtrack and lyrics of the commercial are good (A.R. Rehman's handiwork), I have five serious issues with it, to the extant of labeling it bovine defecation (politically correct term), or bulls*** (politically incorrect).

Reason 5: Discourages youth from joining the armed forces! The commercial depicts a mother touching her martyred son's photograph. If the advertisement really wanted to "celebrate India," why not depict units of armed forces patrolling our borders, smiting the enemy (Pakistan), or sharing lighter moments around a campfire? How would the "martyr's mother" scene really encourage the youth to join the armed forces, or boost morale of currently serving personnel of the forces?

Reason 4: Depiction of abject poverty! Is children studying on a footpath something really worth 'celebrating'? The sequence where a teacher is holding classes to children appears to be an urban or semi-urban setting (because only urban/semi-urban settings have footpaths, with markings no less). Urban and semi-urban settlements in India had school buildings even as of 1947. Wouldn't it have been more apt shooting the same scene under a banyan tree? Does it depict that even as of today, urban and semi-urban India is schooled on footpaths?

Reason 3: Pseudo-secularism! A scene depicts a man (Caucasian male?) at an ill kept Indian street intersection holding a placard that reads "dharam wahi jo samanata sikhaye" (a religion is only that which teaches equality). I find that a veiled jibe against Hinduism. India's caste system has often been misrepresented as a flaw of Hinduism, rather than a flaw of Indian society at large. A case in point is India's reservation system of identifying backward classes, scheduled castes, and scheduled tribes being religion-neutral. There are BC/SC/ST Christians/Sikhs/Muslims, just as well as there are Hindus.

Reason 2: Retirees over youth-at-work! While I mean no disrespect to our senior citizens, we are a younger nation than older. To cover up depleting job-security in the country, the commercial conveniently sweeps the topic under the rug, and chooses to depict the welfare of retirees instead. A scene depicts a young woman attending to a group of senior-citizens, one of whom bless her, and then the rest stand to salute her. The scene then breaks to a group of schoolkids and teenagers. Where's the twenty-something working class youth in all this? Where's the rows of computers with those twenty-something youth working their backs out?

Reason 1: The overall grim, melancholic, and 'struggling' atmosphere! The presentation on the whole is one parsec (roughly three lightyears) away from the title of "celebrate India." The soundtrack is more melancholic than celebratory. You don't need a greyscale (black and white) background to contrast (thereby highlight) the three colours of our national flag. The running theme appears to be more of "we are struggling, keep up the struggle, we salute you for putting up with us."

Here's the 2-minute disaster:

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Dovah, hit&run and parijataka like this.
  3. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting points raised.

I think 20 something youth is not the target of Congress campaign, that's why the youth shown in the ad is a dead young man (i.e. the soldier) !

tarunraju likes this.
  4. tarunraju

Agreed, it's all the more inappropriate to show a martyr in the wake of the Sindhurakshak tragedy, and the LoC attacks/beheadings.

5. tarunraju

I just noticed that YouTube description of the song is "A special song on National Integration focusing on India's innate strength in Unity in Diversity." Neither the lyrics of the song, nor the video show anything on that topic. All that PR crooks at UPA managed was to create a completely "generic" jingoistic song that neither "celebrates" nor celebrates unity in diversity. It tried too hard to sugarcoat nothingness with emotion, and a good AR Rahman tune.

6. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

They think "Jai Ho" worked last time and this time another A R Rehman would work for them. It won't. The economy was doing ok last time, now it's not.