44 Chinese VT1A Tanks find new home in Bangladesh

bose

Country flag
Bangladesh is not capable of holding of the burmese for long. Burma has a good
supply of oil while bangladesh is very limited, for years bangladesh was a pakistani
stooge and now they want diplomatic help and we should oblige without any gain?
Although Off Topic:

BD is in a tight spot now encircled by India in three sides and now Burma has become biligerant, BD wanted to leverage its ties with Burma against India couple of years back by proposing rail link to China through Burma... Now this is not possible in current context... where as with upswing in India - Burma relation we may see a rail link from India to Burma and the to SE asia... BD stands to lose here again...

If you read some of the comments out of BD you will find their nervious very apparant...

Country flag
Bangladesh will also become a desert when chinese divert the waters of the Brahmaputra.
The new proposed expressway is from India thru Burma to Thailand . Bangladesh is out of the
picture.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why is BD wasting money on these tanks? Who are they going to attack?
An army improves the stature of the nation within its population and are very heart warming during military parades when watched by the populace.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bangaldesh will not be using tanks against Myanmar because the terrain is mountainous.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
How does Arjun MBT compare to this Chinese product, is ours more light and apt for the Bangladeshi marshes?
We didn't hear of a Bangladeshi offer in the market. Did India have a chance to present its own products?
Do we have any sellable indigenous tanks yet?
Ray said:
Bangaldesh will not be using tanks against Myanmar because the terrain is mountainous
Hmm .. then the mystery deepens.
By the way aren't we prepared to use Russian tanks in Ladakh theater?
Tanks have previously been used used in mountainous terrain, not sure how successful they really were.

Regards,
Virendra

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Hmm .. then the mystery deepens.
By the way aren't we prepared to use Russian tanks in Ladakh theater?
Tanks have previously been used used in mountainous terrain, not sure how successful they really were.

Regards,
Virendra
In Ladakh there are valleys some broad enough and some narrow and so tanks can be used to some extent.

From the little I know of the CHT, there are no 'avenues' or tank run, but then my knowledge is from open sources and hearsay.

The little that I know indicates that large tanks cannot operate in the manner tanks are supposed to move in combat.

In so far as Arjun is concerned, it cannot be used in riverine terrain that is there in Bangladesh. Even PT 76s got bogged down in the 1971 War and it was winter then when the ground should have been hard!

Last edited:

Blackwater

specifications:

Full Weight: 49 tons
Height: 2.4 meters (up to turret top)
Width: 3.5 meters
Length: 10.33 meters (gun forward)
Crew number: 3 (with autoloader)

Power: 1200 hp water-cooled turbocharged diesel engine
Power-weight ratio: 24 hp/ton
Maximum highway speed: 69 km/h
Max operational range: 450 km
Armament: 125 mm smoothbore gun, 7.62 parallel machine guns, 12.7 antiaircraft machine gun
Maintainability: integrated power system
Fire Control System: scan-targeting type.
Protection: Main armor + modular composite reactive armor

The 147 million dollar deal were sealed last June between China and Bangladesh, China will provide free trainings to the crew.
The order will be delivered within 27 months starting from the signing of contract. The picture shows the first delivered batch.
isnt this T-56 or copy of T-56 ????

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
@Ray
In that case Sir, either we're missing some nuance of that terrain or this buy was a stupid decision or the last possiblity is that there was corrpution involved.
Edit : Unable to embed the google map currently but I saw the terrain. Most is mountains and forest (including a Wildlife Sanctuary).
Where the two aren't found, near the sea Nat river runs as the border.

Regards,
Virendra

Last edited by a moderator:

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
This one and the Al Khalid are essentially the same tank, both derived from Type90 which in turn is based on Type85.

The chinese Type96 is another derivative in the family.

All these tanks are one generation below Type98/99.

GromHellscream

VT1A? I know there are four types from VT1A to VT4A for exportion, but it's so messed that I forget which one is which.

They bought these tanks simply for defence against someone, I don't know why so much self-cheating here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skywatcher Chinese Lunar Exploration Program China 0
LETHALFORCE Attacks on Chinese in Pakistan Pakistan 10
Satish Sharma Idiotic musing of Chinese communist party. China 2
skywatcher Chinese Commercial Space News China 46

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles