38 things you MUST know about Malaysia!

Is Malaysian government Racist?

• Total voters

mylegend

This list covers a period of about 49 years since Independence Day in Malaysia (1957)

(1) Out of all the 5 major banks in Malaysia, only one bank is owned by multi-racial, the rest are controlled by Malays.

(2) 99% of PETRONAS (the only one petroleum company) directors are Malays, and the former Prime Minister work as Consultant in PETRONAS.

(3) 3% of PETRONAS employees are Chinese.

(4) 99% of 2000 PETRONAS gasoline stations are owned by Malays.

(5) 100% all contractors working under PETRONAS projects must be "bumi's status" (Malay).

(6) 0% of non-Malays staffs are legally required in Malay's companies. But there must be 30% Malays staffs in Chinese companies. And big companies in Malaysia require a Malays hold as director status with51% shareholder. Which this mean non-Malays own company needs to give their property to Malays. And non-Malays citizen can't really own their business.

(7) 5% of all new intake for government police, nurses, army, is non-Malays.

(8) 2% is the present Chinese staff in Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF), drop from 40% in 1960"¦

(9) 2% is the percentage of non-Malays government servants in Putrajaya (Malaysia main government office). But Malays make up 98 %.

(10) 7% is the percentage of Chinese government servants in the whole government (in 2004), drop from 30% in 1960. Only 2 position for non-Malays in political status.

(11) 95% of government contracts are given to Malays; even it is an open tender. Non-Malays contractors tender the lower price and use better materials can't get the contract that government given.

(12) 100% all

Business licensees are controlled by Malay government e.g. Taxi permits, Approved permits, etc. and all the license are given to government officer families.

(13) 80% of the Chinese rice millers in Kedah (north of peninsular Malaysia) had to be sold to Malay and controlled by Bernas (Government Org.) since 1980s. Otherwise, life is make difficult for Chinese rice millers.

(14) 100 big companies set up, owned and managed by Chinese Malaysians were taken over by government, and later managed by Malays since 1970"²se.g. UTC, UMBC, MISC, etc. This company now is the sole company.

(15) At least 10 Chinese owned bus companies (throughout Malaysia, throughout 40 years) had to be sold to MARA or other Malay transport companies due to rejection by Malay authority to Chinese application for bus routes and rejection for their application for new buses.

(16) 2 Chinese taxi drivers were barred from driving in Johor (South of Peninsular Malaysia) Larkin bus station. There are about 30 taxi drivers and 3 are Chinese in October 2004. Spoiling taxi club properties was the reason given.

(17) 0 non-Malays are allowed to get shop lots in the new Muar (city in south peninsular Malaysia) bus station (November 2004).

(18) 8000 billions ringgit is the total amount the government channeled to Malays pockets through ASB, ASN, MARA,  privatization of government  agencies like Tabung Haji etc, through NEP over 34 years periods.

(19) 48 Chinese primary schools closed down since 1968 â€" 2000

(20) 144 Indian primary schools closed down since 1968 â€" 2000

(21) 2637 Malay primary schools built since 1968 â€" 2000

(22) 2.5% is government budget for Chinese primary schools. Indian schools got only 1%, Malay schools got 96.5%

(23) While a Chinese parent with RM1000 salary (monthly) cannot get school-text-book-loan, and a Malay parent with RM2000 salary is eligible.

(24) 10 all public universities vice chancellors are Malays. And politics in universities  are held by Malays. If non-Malays want to form a Politics parties, there is no way to get approved.

(25) 5% – the government universities lecturers of non-Malay origins had been reduced from about 70% in 1965 to only 5% in 2004 with the reason Malaysia Education Ministry give full support for Malays only.

(26) Only 5% is given to non-Malays for government scholarships over 40years.

(27) 0 Chinese or Indians were sent to Japan and Korea under "Look East Policy".

(28) 128 STPM (High Study / A Level) Chinese top students could not get into the course  that they aspired i.e. Medicine and doctors (in 2004). Malays with not qualify result can get into the course.

(29) 10% place for non-bumi students for MARA science schools beginning from year 2003, but only 7% are filled. Before that it was 100% Malays.

(30) 50 cases whereby Chinese and Indian Malaysians, are beaten up in the National Service program since 2003.

(31) 25% is Malaysian Chinese population in 2004, drop from 45% since1957 because government are not support non-Malays like government support Malays.

(32) 7% is the present Malaysian Indians population (2004), a drop from 12% since 1957.

(33) 2 millions Chinese Malaysians had emigrated to overseas since 40years ago due to unfair politics.

(34) 0.5 million Indians Malaysians had emigrated to overseas.

(35) 3 millions Indonesians had migrated into Malaysia and became Malaysian citizens with bumi's status.

(36) 600000 are the Chinese and Indians Malaysians with "red I/C" (a temporary identity card) and were rejected repeatedly when applying for citizenship for 40 years. Perhaps 60% of them had already passed away due to old age. This shows racism of how easily Indonesians got their citizenships compare with the Chinese and  Indians

(37) 5% – 15% discount for a Malay to buy a house, regardless whether the Malay is rich or poor

(38) 2% is what Chinese new villages get compare with 98% of what Malays villages got for rural development budget.

38 things you MUST know about Malaysia!

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
For a Chinese guy to post about discrimination in Malaysia is quite amusing. Considering the massive atrocities China has perpetrated on the Tibetans and the Uyghurs, Malaysia's are miniscule in comparison. At least Malaysia is a democratic country and the Chinese and Indians have the right to stand for elections and try and change the status quo.....unlike in China itself.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
For a Chinese guy to post about discrimination in Malaysia is quite amusing. Considering the massive atrocities China has perpetrated on the Tibetans and the Uyghurs, Malaysia's are miniscule in comparison. At least Malaysia is a democratic country and the Chinese and Indians have the right to stand for elections and try and change the status quo.....unlike in China itself.
Umm No.
1. Malaysia is a constitutional monarchy.
2. Inspite of a a third of the population being Chinis and Indians, only Malaysian and English are recognized languages.
3. I don't know the details, but bumiputras (Malays) get preferential treatment over ethnic Chinis and Indians.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Umm No.
1. Malaysia is a constitutional monarchy.
2. Inspite of a a third of the population being Chinis and Indians, only Malaysian and English are recognized languages.
3. I don't know the details, but bumiputras (Malays) get preferential treatment over ethnic Chinis and Indians.
Did you read anything past the first line in the wiki article about Malaysia? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia#Government_and_politics

Legislative power is divided between federal and state legislatures. The bicameral federal parliament consists of the lower house, the House of Representatives and the upper house, the Senate.[53] The 222-member House of Representatives is elected for a maximum term of five years from single-member constituencies. All 70 senators sit for three-year terms; 26 are elected by the 13 state assemblies, and the remaining 44 are appointed by the King upon the Prime Minister's recommendation.[3] The parliament follows a multi-party system and the government is elected through a first-past-the-post system. Since independence Malaysia has been governed by a multi-party coalition known as the Barisan Nasional.[3]

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Last edited:

amoy

What is that saying? Heed the message, not the messenger? And u intend to deflect it back to China while it's about Malaysia?

We certainly know what India (I mean for Indian Indians) is like, and Indian's own deep rooted discriminations (Caste/Religion etc. etc.) but that doesn't stop me as a Chinese from reading Indians blabbering all the way about "Toxic China" or " Gloom and Doom of China" though "A pot calls a kettle black" flashes through my mind, from time to time.

I hope u have the same big heart as well. :truestory:

And this thread is not even about your India :fencing:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Nope I didn't even read the first line. :)
But a constitutional monarchy is one which has a monarch and a upper house and a lower house in the parliament, no ?
So then according to you the UK is not a democracy? How about Australia, Canada, New Zealand? :taunt:

Half of Europe still has "constitutional monarchs", but they are puppets, kinda like the President of India.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
That's true. And Indians and Chinese are not allowed to marry Malays either.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
So then according to you the UK is not a democracy? How about Australia, Canada, New Zealand? :taunt:

Half of Europe still has "constitutional monarchs", but they are puppets, kinda like the President of India.
Dude, I edited my post. According to wiki it is a Federal constitutional elective monarchy and federal parliamentary democracy. They can put all the fancy wordings but the fact is: it's not as democratic as the UK or whatever, because Malays are considered bumiputras and they get benefits.

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
What is that saying? Heed the message, not the messenger? And u intend to deflect it back to China while it's about Malaysia?

We certainly know what India (I mean for Indian Indians) is like, and Indian's own deep rooted discriminations (Caste/Religion etc. etc.) but that doesn't stop me as a Chinese from reading Indians blabbering all the way about "Toxic China" or " Gloom and Doom of China" though "A pot calls a kettle black" flashes through my mind, from time to time.

I hope u have the same big heart as well. :truestory:

And this thread is not even about your India :fencing:
Very good question! I was expecting this from some Chinese member or another! :lol:

The difference, dear @amoy is that while in China and Malaysia the discriminatory policies are sanctioned by the state and enshrined in law, in India, caste discrimination was abolished in 1947! In fact, it is the upper castes who are "officially" discriminated against by government policies which mandate 50% or more reservation of seats in educational institutions and jobs in the public sector for lower castes! Indian law and constitution does not officially discriminate against any religion, race or colour etc. In India, everyone is free to practice their culture, religion etc, unlike in China, where Tibetans and Uyghurs do not have such freedoms!

Hope you will appreciate this difference! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
That's true. And Indians and Chinese are not allowed to marry Malays either.
Heard that too, but not sure.
Wouldn't want to marry a Malay, anyway. :taunt:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Democracy is the rule of the majority. Plain and simple. Until the majority of Malaysians (who are bumiputras) want to enshrine equality into their law and personal practice, these policies are bound to stay. Yes, objectively, they seem to be wrong, but then such "bumiputra" policies have been in place in India as well under the guise of the "reservation system". Who are we to criticize Malaysians?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Democracy is the rule of the majority. Plain and simple. Until the majority of Malaysians (who are bumiputras) want to enshrine equality into their law and personal practice, these policies are bound to stay. Yes, objectively, they seem to be wrong, but then such "bumiputra" policies have been in place in India as well under the guise of the "reservation system". Who are we to criticize Malaysians?
Nope, democracy is the rule of the people, where the voice of everyone is heard.
And I'm not criticizing Malaysians, let 'em do what they want. I'm least concerned about they do inside Islamic nations.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Malaysia, despite being a so-called "developed country", is one of the few countries in the world where racism and discrimination based on race/ethnicity is not only legal but institutionalized and constitutionally upheld by the Malaysian government. This country is really a disgrace to human civilization and all civilized people throughout the world. The United States should invade and topple the racist state of Malaysia and establish a civilized and Westernized state which respects the civil and human rights of all people, regardless of race or ethnicity.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Nope, democracy is the rule of the people, where the voice of everyone is heard.
And I'm not criticizing Malaysians, let 'em do what they want. I'm least concerned about Islamic nations.
You need to think about that a bit, especially in the context of "first past the post" electoral systems such as in India. :)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Malaysia, despite being a so-called "developed country", is one of the few countries in the world where racism and discrimination based on race/ethnicity is not only legal but institutionalized and constitutionally upheld by the Malaysian government. This country is really a disgrace to human civilization and all civilized people throughout the world. The United States should invade and topple the racist state of Malaysia and establish a civilized and Westernized state which respects the civil and human rights of all people, regardless of race or ethnicity.
:lol: I hope you're joking. As I mentioned earlier, if you want to invade all countries where discrimination is legalized, not even the US itself would escape unscathed.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
You need to think about that a bit, especially in the context of "first past the post" electoral systems such as in India. :)
The whole world is an experiment, hopefully a proper system will emerge out of it.
But one can clearly see that India, the US, and even China is closer to such a system than Malaysia.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Where is asianobserve to defend "his" country. Did he forget under which flag he posts here? :)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The whole world is an experiment, hopefully a proper system will emerge out of it.
But one can clearly see that India, the US, and even China is closer to such a system than Malaysia.
Here's the logic for the bumiputra policy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action#Malaysia

The mean income for Malays, Chinese and Indians in 1957/58 were 134, 288 and 228 respectively. In 1967/68 it was 154, 329 and 245, and in 1970 it was 170, 390 and 300. Mean income disparity ratio for Chinese/Malays rose from 2.1 in 1957/58 to 2.3 in 1970, whereas for Indians/Malays the disparity ratio also rose from 1.7 to 1.8 in the same period.[24] The Malays viewed Independence as restoring their proper place in their own country's socioeconomic order while the non-Malays were opposing government efforts to advance Malay political primacy and economic welfare.
Just like the reservation system in India, once it was instituted, it has stuck due to the majority feeling entitled to those benefits. There's nothing especially heinous or uncivilized about this particular policy compared to policies in other countries.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles