34% MP's elected in May 2014 affidavits’ state Criminal Cases ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by roma, May 18, 2014.

1. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    34% of MP’s elected in May 2014 affidavits’ state Criminal Cases ?
    ( Times of India Article )

Dear Indian Members,

I was about to be elated with the prospect of a new generation of Indian Politics to come with the massive mandate given by the people to what I had till now perceived as a clean party and then this seemingly rude shock :-

Ref Article;
    Every third newly-elected MP has criminal background - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: Every third of the newly-elected member of Lok Sabha has a criminal background, an analysis of the disclosures they have made in their affidavits has shown.

An analysis of 541 of the 543 winning candidates by National Election Watch (NEW) and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) shows that 186 or 34% newly elected MPs have in their election affidavits disclosed criminal cases against themselves.

Then a few paragraphs down;
    Of the 186 new members, 112 (21%) have declared serious criminal cases, including those related to murder, attempt to murder, causing communal disharmony, kidnapping, crimes against women, etc.

Party wise, the largest numbers 98 or 35% of the 281 winners from the BJP have in their affidavits declared criminal cases against themselves.
    End of quote.

The entire article can be read from the reference given above

Perhaps as a NRI, I may not have the “right” perspective ? It seems to me like the proverb about trying to put new wine into old wineskins ? i.e. can we really get a new improved India with seemingly the same old “impure” ingredients ?

Most grateful therefore if those living in India or with real knowledge of life in India can help interpret what this means in reality because I really hope I’m wrong on my first impressions of what it may have meant .

Many thanks in anticipation of your posts.
    Best Regards,
    Last edited: May 18, 2014
  3. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

Nov 18, 2012
    in politics,u know there will be false cases!
    Just a small political fight can be dubbed as a attempt to murder!
    In recent election,a rape case is filed against a candidate to tarnish the image!This are not new!

Of course,there're genuine cases of serial offenders which cannot be ruled out!

Without knowing full details of each case,it's difficult to judge!
    roma likes this.
  4. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Oct 3, 2013
    If you want to look at cases alone even Modi has had "serious cases" (communal violence etc) against him, while Rahul doesnt have any.
    roma likes this.