28th Anniversary of Anti-Sikh Pogrom

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Singh, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

28 Years on Congress still skirts responsibility for the 1984 Anti-Sikh pogrom

Always Forget
    By HARTOSH SINGH BAL

NEW DELHI — The 28th anniversary of the massacre of 3,000 Sikh men in New Delhi in retaliation for the assassination of Indira Gandhi by her Sikh bodyguards passed largely in silence again. None of the major political figures from the Congress Party who are said to have been involved in the killings has been convicted, and no one in the administration has been held accountable.

In 2005, while reporting for the newsweekly Tehelka, I met the women of Block 32, in Trilokpuri, one of areas of East Delhi most affected by the violence in 1984. Their husbands and their sons were among those killed by mobs two decades earlier. Jesibai, at 69, the oldest among them, said of the attackers: “They came looking for us. Twenty to a house, pulling the men out, slaughtering them before our eyes. We tried to disguise some of our boys as girls, but even then not all of them got away safely.”

She added: “The violence began only when H.K.L. Bhagat came to the area. He told the mob not to spare a single male. The Sikhs, he said, were like serpents. If you spare the boys, they will grow up to kill you. Days later he came to the relief camp at Shahdara to distribute blankets. We chased him out.” Back then, H.K.L. Bhagat was a member of Parliament for the Congress Party from East Delhi.

After eight commissions were wound up before drawing any conclusions or failed to consider who was responsible for the riots, in 2000 a non-Congress government set up the Nanavati Commission to probe the killings. In a 2004 report, it described having found “credible material” against “Congress leaders and workers” in East Delhi establishing that “very probably they were also involved in the anti-Sikh riots.”

The report incriminated scores of ordinary party employees, as well as three men who were senior Congress leaders from New Delhi at the time of the killings: Bhagat; Jagdish Tytler, a member of Parliament; and Sajjan Kumar, a local councilor.

Yet the perpetrators rose politically even after their roles in the killings were widely reported in the media. Bhagat became a cabinet minister in the Rajiv Gandhi government, which was in power during the killings and re-elected months later. Tytler became minister of civil aviation in the same government; today, he is in charge of the Congress Party in the state of Orissa. And Kumar became a member of Parliament in 2004.

And though after the Nanavati Commission report old cases were revived and new ones brought against Tytler and Kumar — Bhagat died in 2005 — they have yielded no resolution. The cases against Tytler were closed after the investigating agency stated that the witnesses were either dead or unwilling to testify or that their testimony would be unreliable so many years after the riots. The most that has come out of any legal proceeding to date is a statement by the prosecutor in the case against Kumar for inciting a mob to murder.

The prosecutor told the court that “the police acted in a pre-planned manner, and every policeman was keeping his eyes closed” during the 1984 riots. “Whatever action was taken by the police was taken against the people who helped the Sikhs. Police did not take action against the main culprits.” Considering that in New Delhi the police are, by special dispensation, under the control of the central government, the prosecutor was in effect indicting the administration of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.

Congress Party bigwigs have occasionally expressed remorse for the killings. In 1999, Sonia Gandhi, the head of the Congress Party, said after a visit to the Sikh monument of Harmandir Sahib in Amritsar: “I have prayed at the shrine that such events must never happen again. We are entering a new millennium. Let us do so in a spirit of forgiveness.” In 2005, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh told Parliament: “I have no hesitation in apologizing to the Sikh community. I apologize not only to the Sikh community, but to the whole Indian nation because what took place in 1984 is the negation of the concept of nationhood enshrined in our Constitution.”

But neither acknowledgment came anywhere close to recognizing the role that the Congress Party’s faithful played in the massacre. Congress often invokes the violence against Muslims in Gujarat in 2002 to attack the main opposition party, the rightist Bharatiya Janata Party, and the chief minister of Gujarat, Narendra Modi, for failing to protect a minority community. Yet it conveniently ignores that a similar argument could be raised against Rajiv Gandhi. It has been able to maintain this self-serving contradiction because the violence in Gujarat in 2002 seems consistent with the B.J.P.’s pro-Hindu stance, while the violence of 1984 seems to defy the Congress’s stance that it represents all communities.

That the Congress could get away without noting the massacre on its 28th anniversary this year is a reminder that the pretense of apology by the guilty may be the most effective way of denying justice to the victims.

India's Congress Party Still Skirts Responsibility for the 1984 Massacre of 3,000 Sikhs - NYTimes.com

hit&run, maomao, A chauhan and 2 others like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

What has our good defender of the Govt Lawyer Tulsi has to say of this? ;)

parijataka likes this.
  4. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

That Tulsi comes across as one slimey eel.

5. Singh

KTS Tulsi :facepalm: What a scumbag.

6. parijataka

Tehelka and co. are ardent Congress supporters - it seems everyone is purchased by Congress $$$$ including many Sikhs themselves.

maomao and A chauhan like this.
  7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I wonder if anything will come out of any inquiry at this late stage.

All records would have been wiped out or manipulated.

Eyewitnesses will be declared as hearsay.

What a huge mess all because life and governance is dictated by the requirement of politics and survival of the the political party in power.

And even otherwise, as Kejriwal has tried to indicate - they are all hand in glove!

Birds of a feather flock together.

Tehelka and Mehta of Outlook are all committed people a la Mrs Gandhi's (Indira) idea of ideal people!

maomao likes this.
  8. Singh

I don't know much about Tehelka's editorial slant nor want to speculate on it. Unfortunately anyone who says anything against BJP is automatically branded a Congress supporter and a paid agent.

Although, it is quite possible that many suck up to or have been bought by Congress. Radia tapes are still fresh in my memory.

Having said all that, I have no issues with Congress supporters or detractors or neutral folks, putting forth well reasoned arguments. Hartosh Singh Bal has argued against BJP, Congress, Media(radia tapes), and Kejriwal, so he is a good guy in my book.

Coming to KTS Tulsi, he is defending Congress, and its leaders in many cases and at the same time arguing against Congress in the 1984 cases. This is a clear case of conflict of interest, and he needs to recuse himself. His refusal to do so, seems to suggest that he is as you said a "slimy eel"

9. parijataka

^^^
    Fair enough. I cant say anything about H S Bal, but Tehelka is known to conduct sting operations on Congress opponents. The day they do a sting on say Diggi or Kapil Sibbal I will consider them even handed in their pursuit of news.

maomao, A chauhan and sasi like this.
  10. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

The way Mr.Tulsi is defending Congress on TV it is very clear that he needs to recuse himself from the 1984 cases. He has switched sides IMO. You cannot defend somebody in one case and then prosecute their leaders in another case. This needs to be looked into.

Let me go one step further the Sikh community is deeply divided on the role of the Congress, and they are also responsible for the case to continue dragging.

11. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

After reading more into the matter, May be sikhs at the time deserved it something like a necessary evil at the time to control the Khalistani movement:notsure:. From what I hear they were not exactly innocent/ patriots at the time and were as bad as the LeT or something like that. May be some one can give a better info on the matter:hmm:

12. Singh

Spot on.
    I think so it is necessary for the government to cull a people, to prevent them from getting outraged at that culling. And 1984 riots ended Khalistan movement.

LeT folks are patriots(pakistanis). They are anti-India though.

Sikhs otoh were worse than LeT then because not only were they, in your opinion, anti-India whilst living in India but as bad as Hafeez Saeed led LeT.

I think so you are being modest. You have already read into the matter.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  13. Singh

How so ?

From my understanding, there is no doubt in the minds of Sikh community on the role of Congress.

14. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

No offense meant, if the role of the Congress was very clear, then no way in hell, could the Congress have come to power in Punjab post 1984. Capt. had a comfortable majority in the assembly, and non Sikhs did not unite to vote for the Congress.

And how many of the sikh leaders in congress leave the party post riots. There may be many but none of the leaders who matter left the party post 1984.

There is a stark comparison with the Babri case. No way in future does BJP stand a chance in UP in the near future.

15. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Shocking post to say the least.

Just thinking if the SL Sinhalas were also forced to do something similar against the SL Tamils? Necessary evil?
    Anyways the SL Tamils were definitely not patriotic Lankan Citizens.

Still I would love to look into what you have read. Please provide links or books if any.

16. Mad Indian

Yeah. I wanted to Troll:bounce:

Just so we are clear, expect more such irrelevant trolls from me, when I am free, the same way leftist trolls bring in Hindus and other irrelevant stuff regarding the Hinduism whenever we are discussing other non sense. Devil's advocate can be played by both sides , for the sake of stimulating the argument:devil:.

Actually, this is one of the reasons I trolled

Is it not the same excuse our "patriots" give for supporting SL in place of Indian Tamils?:hmm:. Why was it not shocking then? Does that mean, you people value Tamils less than Punjabis?

I read it here actually, in a thread regarding the case in the hanging of the terrorist who murdered the CM of Punjab. One post claimed that the Sikhs who did not involve in killing went on to have jolly discussions about the head counts made by their cousins in Punjab. They were almost as culpable if not as culpable or something like that and that the Sikhs were not entirely blameless at the time.

And considering how the riots ended after the progroms, I am not convinced that the Sikh riots could have been put down without use of violence. unless some one can give me links on how Sikh violence was ended without violence.

Das ka das and KS like this.
  17. Mad Indian

Sometimes being like Israel helps in culling domestic violence

Hey hoo hey, I was just paraphrasing what I read in the Rojoana singh thread.

But what I read in that thread is right, then hell no, they were not patriots

May be, may be not. I will ask the same thing I asked Yusuf. Give some links regarding how the Khalistani movement could have been put down without the use of violence, then we can talk.

And for that matter, please explain why Congress(yep not the evil BJP:scared2:) continues to win the sikh areas?:dude:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  18. Yusuf

Sikhs are Indian citizens SL Tamils are not.

Singh and W.G.Ewald like this.
  19. Mad Indian

But Indian Tamils are, who India ditches to ass smootch SL.

Das ka das and KS like this.
  20. Yusuf

Hahaha ditches Indian Tamils? BTW a Tamil party is kingmaker in Delhi.

21. parijataka

During the heyday of the Khalistan movement it was Sikhs themselves who put it down. The legendary KPS Gill DGP Punjab cracked down on Kahlistanis and brought an end to it decisively.

It was Indira Gandhi with her divide and rule policy who encouraged radicals such as Bhindranwale to bring down the Akalis and gave a fillip to the Khalistanis. Different matter that she had to pay the ultimate price, just as Rajiv Gandhi paid with his life for Sri Lankan fiasco. And later innocent Sikhs in Delhi and surroundings paid the price for Indira's death.

maomao and Das ka das like this.