2002 Gujarat violence: Godhra, Riots and Verdict

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Daredevil, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Gujarat riot myths busted

Abraham Thomas | New Delhi

The so-called human rights activist, Teesta Setalvad — who paraded the Gujarat riot victims before the Supreme Court and claimed they had been denied justice — suffered embarrassment on Monday after a Special Investigation Team (SIT) gave sufficient grounds for the apex court to doubt the authenticity of incidents highlighted by her NGO Citizens for Justice and Peace.

The SIT, headed by former CBI Director RK Raghavan along with former DGP CB Satpathy and three senior IPS officers — Geetha Johri, Shivanand Jha and Ashish Bhatia — had been entrusted with the enquiry into post-Godhra riot incidents in Godhra, Gulbarg Society, Naroda Gaon, Naroda Patiya and Sardarpura.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohtagi, appearing for the State, read out portions of the report that refuted the petitioner’s charge of the State’s complicity in the riots.

Pointing out a specific instance, the SIT report stated how the evidence of 22 witnesses was “suspect” owing to the identical submissions made in their affidavits submitted to the court. On enquiry, the SIT found that all the 22 affidavits were drafted, typed and printed from the same computer, giving sufficient grounds to believe they were “tutored”. When the SIT questioned those who signed the affidavits, it was shocked to learn that these complainants were not even aware of the incidents.

Referring to another instance that exposed the Citizens for Justice and Peace’s much ‘trumpeted’ charges, Rohtagi said the SIT investigation found untrue allegation about a gangrape of a pregnant woman Kauser Bano, whose stomach was allegedly pierced by sword and her foetus killed.

Even the instance of dumping of bodies into a well at Naroda Patiya and a charge of the police allegedly shielding accused persons in murder of a British national was found to be untrue, Rohtagi said.

Firing a salvo at the NGO, Rohtagi said, “It is clear from the report that the horrendous allegations made by the NGO were false. Cyclostyled affidavits were supplied by a social activist and the allegations made in them were untrue,” he added, with an obvious reference to Setalvad.

The NGO’s counsel Aparna Bhatt objected to such comments being made on the strength of the report, which had also added several persons as accused in the case. Refusing to be drawn into the slanging match between the opposing parties, the Bench headed by Justice Arijit Pasayat said, “In riot cases, more the delay, there is likelihood of falsity creeping in. So, there should be a designated court to fast track the trials.”

The court asked the State Government, petitioners and amicus curiae senior advocate Harish Salve to suggest recommendations on these lines. Additional Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium, appearing for the Centre, suggested selection of public prosecutors on consultation from the SIT. Salve informed the court that the matter would be taken up with the SIT. Based on a suggestion by another NGO petitioner counsel Indira Jaising to evolve a witness protection system, Salve assured that the same would also be discussed in the light of the sensitivity attached to the case. The bunch of petitions was posted for further hearing after next week.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/169490/Gujarat-riot-myths-busted.html

Dark_Prince likes this.
  3. Daredevil

We need to weed out such pseudo-secularists from this country.

Dark_Prince likes this.
  4. Daredevil

Setalvad in dock for 'cooking up killings'.

NEW DELHI: The Narendra Modi baiters among NGOs on Monday suffered a major setback when a Supreme Court-appointed special investigation team (SIT) charged a leading activist, Teesta Setalvad, with adding morbidity into the post-Godhra riots in Gujarat by “cooking up macabre tales of killings”.

SIT headed by former CBI director R K Raghavan said “many incidents were cooked up, false witnesses were tutored to give evidence about imaginary incidents, and false charges levelled against the then Ahmedabad police chief P C Pandey”.

Sit report, which was submitted before a bench comprising Justices Arijit Pasayat, P Sathasivam and Aftab Alam, said there was no truth in some of the major allegations levelled by NGOs. According to the report, the untruths included:
    A pregnant Muslim woman Kausar Banu was gangraped by a mob, who then with sharp weapons gouged out the foetus;
    Dumping of dead bodies into a well by rioters at Narora Patiya; and n Police botching up investigation into the killing of British nationals who were on a visit to Gujarat.

SIT also said the charge that Mr Pandey was helping mob that attacked the Gulbarga Society was untrue. “The truth was that he was helping hospitalisation of riot victims and making arrangement of police bandobast,” senior counsel Mukul Rohatgi said.

Mr Rohatgi also told the court that 22 witnesses, who had submitted identical affidavits before various courts relating to riot incidents, were questioned by SIT. “It was found that they were tutored. The affidavits were handed over to them by Ms Setalvad. They had not actually witnessed the riot,” the counsel said.

The Supreme Court lauded the work of SIT and said there should be no room for allegations and counter-allegations. “In the riot cases, the more the delay there is likelihood of falsity creeping in. So there should be a designated court to fast track trials. Riot cases should be given priority,” the Bench said and sought suggestions from the Centre, Gujarat government and NGOs.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...r-cooking-up-killings/articleshow/4397849.cms

Dark_Prince likes this.
  5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Well we will never know the true extent of what happened in Gujarat. Personally a hundred year old family business run by my uncle and his son was burnt down and they lost everything. Luckily their lives were saved. What was really sad that the perpetrators were people who had lived around them for ages and were good buddies.

6. Pintu

Pintu New Member

I personally think that what Setalvad did, if found to be true, then it should be lebelled as Crime, same way it is very sad and cruel things is that Human killed / vandalised / did wrong to Human, I am sorry Yusuf, I understand that pain went through your family.

Dark_Prince likes this.
  7. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

If true, then it will be a big blow for the rest of the genuine trials. Setalvad has been one of the most important forces in ensuring that people are given some sort of justice.

Dark_Prince likes this.
  8. EnlightenedMonk

EnlightenedMonk Member of The Month JULY 2009 Senior Member

If these allegations are true, then Setalvad and the witnesses should be tried for Perjury... One should not let them hide behind the curtain of secularism in such a case... They have unnecessarily tried to fabricate charges and overplay the issues...

Basically made a mountain out of a molehill....

Dark_Prince likes this.
  9. Yusuf

Monk, there is a mountain there, but some people might have tried to reach on top without climbing it.

10. Daredevil

We need to give everyone fair trial. Pseudo-secular people like Setalvad are a cancer to the society. She has endangered the genuine cases of post-Godhra riot cases with her false cases. What is her motive?, why is she doing this?, what does she gain from charging false cases?. She should be thoroughly investigated along with the master minds behind her.

Dark_Prince likes this.
  11. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

^^
    also those media houses should be investigated which gave her prominent coverage immediately without any verification, thus becoming hand in glove in spreading these lies.

Dark_Prince likes this.
  12. Yusuf

Everyone wants to be a celebrity and the media wants to cover them. Setalvad had her 15 minutes of fame. Lets see what comes out of this development.

13. Soham

Soham DFI TEAM Senior Member

How could the extent of brainwashing be so large ?
    That event was one of the darkest events in the history of India and is a reason for shame for every Hindu.

14. Yusuf

I cannot understand religion being the prime thing in anyones life. I mean im a Muslim. I pray and leave my home and all that matters to me is earning my next Rupee for my family and giving them a good life. My religion stays at home.
    But unfortunately for the a large part of the society, religion is ever thing. Simply beats me.

15. A.V.

A.V. New Member

yes yusuf its excellent to see members themselves delete low quality or offensive posts themselves proves a point that quality members make quality discussions no need for a moderator to intervene.
    members know what DFI stands for and what kind of posts wont be tolerated here.

good job members keep the quality discussions going.

16. Yusuf

Taking from my last post here, wonder if it will be ok to ask members and discuss how far religion is important in their lives in a poll in a new thread

17. Soham

A religious spat buddy. Nothing to worry about.

18. Pintu

Pintu New Member

The fanaticism in religion is a curse for Humanity, and I found simply no difference between murderers in Godhara, and butchers in Gujarat riot. They have the one thing common, they are inhumans, and butchers, and simply they have no religion, if one religion they have common that is butchery. I am ashamed as a human being what happened in Godahra and massacre of innocents in Gujarat in the inhuman act of riot. What went through your family Yusuf , as a Hindu , I am ashamed.

19. Yusuf

Don't expect a spat from you mate that too on religion.
    Good job deleting whatever it was

20. Soham

Please don't start any religious thread here. It will end up in a lot of flaring nostrils.

21. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

Yusuf you will often find that supporters of religious extremists (especially those who are well educated) are not very religious at all. They probably do not bother to follow the rituals of their religion on a regular basis. Their reasons for for supporting such ideas are based on identity crisis rather than any theological basis.

I've spent a lot of time interacting with perfectly well educated and seemingly modern people who, when questioned about their political beliefs support the most disgusting fundamentalists. Its shocking but its also human nature. One tends to overlook the faults among ones own much more easily than what one perceives to be the 'other'.