20 IAF's Sukhoi 30 MKI Grounded due to Faulty Avionics Gear

Rajendra91

SOURCE: IDRW

According to report by defensenews.com , around 2o India's Front line Sukhoi 30 mki fighters have been grounded due to F Avionics Gears which includes head-up display and the mission computer .In the letter dated 28 February, a top HAL functionary has stated that the head-up displays and other displays were "blanking off" during flight of the aircraft belonging to some particular batches of the Su-30MKI, Cockpit displays of some of the Su-30MKI "blanking off" affected the use of the aircraft, India has already has informed Russia, which is the manufacturer and supplier of these fighter planes to IAF.
Another media report had said that nearly 50 % of sukhoi fleet is suffering from this problem but the latest report indicates that only certain batches are showing up this problems .While a Russian Diplomat has said that they are not sure which subsystems is causing problems , subsystems are either supplied by Irkut or by HAL . The documents related to communication between Indian and Russian officials have come to light after hackers breached Russian defence firms' networks and posted the material online.
shortage of Supply of spares for Sukhoi 30 has been on going issue for years now , While IAF and HAL blames Russia for delays in supply of spares and Russia blames HAL and IAF for not keeping long term inventory and repeatedly placing short orders which takes more time to fulfill .
Supply of tyres for Sukhoi 30 was one of the major issue affecting the fleet for few years now and recently Indian Tyre manufacturer MRF was pulled in by Indian air force to design and supply Indian made tyres for Sukhoi 30 , MRF has successfully designed and made tyres fit for Sukhoi 30"²s , but Russians other other side have protested such move by India .
Interestingly reports also says that HAL made Sukhoi 30 are 30 % more expensive then a Russian made Sukhoi 30 , local production has not lead to cheaper aircraft , even though India has cheaper labour , supply of spares to HAL by Local Private Suppliers are not cheap which is leading to higher price tag which HAL has not been able to bring down even after so many years .

bhramos

Country flag
I think MFD's , Avionics and some electronics are manufactured by India, Israel and France, what is it to do with Russia?

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Made in China products with Indian companies names stamped on it (Samtel is one example)
They are bound to fail since the MTBF is too short :lol:

acetophenol

Country flag
Made in China products with Indian companies names stamped on it (Samtel is one example)
They are bound to fail since the MTBF is too short :lol:
excuse me sir,can you prove that Samtel sells chinese products with their name on it?

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
excuse me sir,can you prove that Samtel sells chinese products with their name on it?
Sorry, I was not aware of any Samtel employees on DFI.
Didn't intend to hurt your sentiments but it is a perception among mortal laymen like me.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
20 Su-30s.. Thats an entire squadron
as far as from the info posted in bharath rakshak they belong to the first production batch but the point is by this time HAL should be able to fix it but i wonder why even after HAL is manufacturing SU30mki almost from scratch in house:sad:

DivineHeretic

Country flag
as far as from the info posted in bharath rakshak they belong to the first production batch but the point is by this time HAL should be able to fix it but i wonder why even after HAL is manufacturing SU30mki almost from scratch in house:sad:
AFAIK, this issue relates to the first squadron built completely in India from Indian raw materials. This would imply that there has been some problem somewhere in the integration of the MFDs and the like with the power grid.

Furthermore, looking at the nature of the failure, it appears to be a faulty power input into the devices. If there has been a data input/output problem, the displays would have displayed no connection error(s) (or error codes relating to such a failure). The fact that the displays simply shut off should indicate a problem with the power systems.
@bhramos, The Russians would almost certainly be involved in the troubleshooting of the problem, because if my hunch about the electrical power being a problem is correct, the issue might relate to faulty power systems and/or non compatibility of the power source to the requirements of the Avionics (which would be well into the realm of absurdity for a fighter jet).

And in any case, I can't confirm but I believe the Russians are the guarantors of the quality of the Mki in the same manner as Dassault will be for Rafale

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles