2 men spend 12 days in jail for Facebook comments against Congress

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by iNDiAN.96, Nov 24, 2012.

1. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

Even as the uproar over the recent arrest of two Thane girls over an allegedly "inflammatory" message posted on social networking site Facebook is yet to fade away, a similar case has now come to light wherein two men from Mumbai had to spend 12 days behind the bars and even lose their jobs.

In the shocking example of the alleged misuse of Information and Technology Act , the men -- K.V. Rao and Mayank -- were arrested for allegedly posting offensive comments against some Congress leaders on their Facebook group earlier this year.

The duo was employed with the national carrier, Air India. They were arrested in May on the basis of a complaint filed last year. After suffering all these months, they have ended their silence for the first time on Headlines Today on Friday. Out on bail, they narrated their tale of alleged harassment.

The two accused had shared a joke and distorted Congress party's election flag to express their angst against the politicians. They alleged that their personal enmity with a leader in Air India union led to a complaint to the cyber cell over some "objectionable contents" in the closed group of Air India cabin crew. They were soon arrested from their houses.

"This is injustice. They arrested us at 1 am. They gave no reasons for the arrest as well. This is misuse of power," alleged Rao.

His wife Rajshree said, "They said 'we are police, we can arrest anyone at any point of time'. My kids were scared to the core. In the middle of the night they asked us to come to the police station."

"I was humiliated badly. Policemen with machine guns came in the night and took me away," the other accused, Mayank, said.

The passports of the accused were impounded for six months. With the duo embroiled in the legal tangles, the Air India management also shunted them out. Family members said that it was a hard time for them and they could never understand why police acted in such a manner.

Now, despite being released on bail, the duo has been doing the rounds of courts and police station.

They came out to tell their plight to the world after the arrest of Thane girls -- Shaheen Dhada and Reenu -- highlighted the misuse of IT Act by the police. While Shaheen was arrested for criticising the "shutdown" in Mumbai on November 18, a day after Shiv Sena founder Bal Thackeray died, on Facebook, her friend was arrested just for liking the post.

Sibal promises amendment to IT Act

Meanwhile, Minister of Communications and Information Technology Kapil Sibal told Headlines Today that amendments might be needed to prevent misuse of the IT act. He, however, did not set any deadline.

"We will discuss the issues and then bring about amendment," Sibal said in reaction to the arrests over Facebook posts.

Read more at: Welcome to the post-Orwellian Indian nightmare: 2 men spend 12 days in jail for Facebook comments against Cong : West, News - India Today

3. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

:crusin5: facebook :crusin5:

blank_quest and Snuggy321 like this.
  4. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

Still has to see NDTV's report on this.. :hmm:

Notice that this story has been pulled up by India Today, and you know what I mean.:troll:

Mad Indian likes this.
  5. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

This is a blatant exercise in violation of Article 19. Since when has the restriction on freedom of speech emanating from the security of the state come to imbibe the security of the party constituting the Government?

I cannot believe this Government is patrolling the internet for such petulant rubbish as anti-Congress Facebook comments, instead of all of the jihadist garbage, seditious tommyrot and anti-national activity in cyberspace.

We need to make this, through extensive media-coverage, a key theme for the next general election. Let the government know that the urban middle-class and the urban youth will not stand for it. For this, the youth needs to be active. Today: it's "anti-Congress statements", tomorrow it'll be your and my opinions of their abysmal functioning as a Government; and then we will have eliminated everything this democracy stands for in practice.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

How many tv channels covering this news ?

7. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

During my college days. we were harassed many times for posting posters near the bus station our views about the future of the country. Never went to jail because we did not break any law. This was many years ago.

8. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Kapil Sibal and his coterie will pay for this. They have some guts, bringing such laws into India.

maomao likes this.
  9. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

There are lots of black laws nobody talks of.

1, Peoplke who do not swear by India's sovereinty and integrity cannot contest election. This is outright against the concept of democracy.

2. People who even remotely suggest that their state needs sovereignty are arrested and held in prison for upto 1 year without trial.

10. Bangalorean

Oh, please shut your trap, seriously.

Get this into your head, once and for all: a country exists to continue remaining sovereign and integral. If you expect a nation-state to mollycoddle people who do not uphold the integrity of the nation (and even let them contest elections), you need to get your head checked.

11. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

Real democracies do. US, Canada, UK to name 3. So India is not a real democracy. Thats my point. Understand?

12. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Wow look who is talking .. and what about your own disproportionate internet policing GOI ??

13. Bangalorean

Whatever you say.

Go around the world and shout that India is not a "real democracy" because it does not allow people to secede, and does not allow people to contest elections if they say that they will not uphold the nation's integrity.

You have no idea how asinine you sound. :crazy:

Go to your "real democracies", US,Canada, UK and declare that you won't uphold their integrity and sovereignty, and see if they allow you to contest elections. We can see what your "real democracy" did in Ireland, to a secessionist movement. We can see how your "real democracy" has jailed people over facebook posts (yes, look it up).

You really need to stop talking unrealistic nonsense.

14. Bangalorean

Every citizen of every country has certain expectations from their country, and so do we. Some expectations are reasonable, and some are unreasonable. It is reasonable to expect the country to provide a secure and just society, cleanliness and infrastructure, etc. It is reasonable to expect that the country should not have laws that imprison people for criticism of political parties. But if you expect that the country to allow people who want to break the nation, into positions of power (through elections), there is a word for a person with such expectations: idiot.

It is like joining a company, proudly declaring that you will do your best to reduce the company's profits and then moaning about not getting promotion, and calling the company policies "discriminatory". There is a limit to the amount of stupidity that one can take, honestly.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  15. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

we have to first see that they posted.

16. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

yo, u crazy or what! UK is a failed state. Give eg. of US & Canada. who sayz we gotta follow those?

doing anything to damage my nation's sovereignty is treason, period.

17. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

Agree. Thats what I m doing. Restore the lost sovereignty of my nation. Get out of my wat.
    :thumb:

18. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

I agree. Thats what I amn doing. Restore the sovereignty of my nation,

19. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Should i post arrests of people in these countries for posting on facebook ?

20. kayal

kayal Tihar Jail Banned

Yes.But include what they said in their posts.

21. Das ka das

Das ka das Tihar Jail Banned

Ah so how is the Tamil liberation movement going along now? How many people are working with you to "restore sovereignty" of you "nation"? Are you a one man/woman army?

I was wondering...do you believe in Kumari Kandam?