2,000-years old Buddhist caves destroyed to "extract coal"

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
2,000 Year old Buddhist caves destroyed to take coal out

CHANDRAPUR: The 2,000 year-old Buddhist caves, located in the premises of Mana opencast mines, were demolished by authorities of Western Coalfields Limited (WCL) here on Tuesday evening. They carried out the demolition to excavate huge deposits of coal underneath it and plan to pull down the entire hillock to erase the remains of the caves.

Hindustan Lalpeth Open Cast (HLOC), sub-area of WCL had taken up the excavation of the 300 sq metre block bearing the ancient caves two years ago. Excavation of 1.5 lakh metric tonnes coal deposits was withheld due to these caves.

They had withheld the demolition in 2009, after the collector intervened in the matter, after the religious organizations and Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage raised a hue and cry against it. However, their continued excavation around the caves had made it inaccessible.

Sources informed that the mine authorities gave the tender to a private company to demolish the hillock along with the caves. The company drilled the explosives 80 meters into the long solid rock bearing caves and blew it away. The ancient caves crumbled as boulders scattered over the high hillock. Fumes of smoke emitted from the hillock as the coal underneath caught fire.

Though the state archaeology department is aware of the old Mana caves, WCL obtained a letter from the Archeological Survey of India stating that the structure is not officially listed as a protected monument by the department.

District collectorate sources said that in 2009 the collector had asked WCL authorities not to demolish the caves. The present collector was not available for comments. However, the resident deputy collector Abhay Badkelwar said he does not remember any request for permission to demolish the caves in the last few months.

WCL chief general manager TN Jha, in charge of Chandrapur region, was in Nagpur and not available for comments.

Member of central governing committee of INTACH Ashoksingh Thakur said, "These caves should have been protected as they were a part of our culture and their destruction is irrevocable. WCL has no right to demolish the ancient structure just because it is not listed as 'protected' in the ASI's list." Terming the day as a black day for archaeology and history, he added that the WLC officers, who were from other states, held no value for local history or cultural values.

According to historians, the ancient caves belonged to the Heniyan sect. It was used as a place of worship and meditation during 1st century AD. It got its name the from Nag dynasty of Mana community that ruled the area in 9th century AD and later accepted Buddhism. The four caves were carved adjacent to each other in around 80 foot long single solid rock in Mana.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh what a peace-loving, equal, liberal, secular government we have....:puke:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Well they may have taken rock cut outs, either way what is the use of it just sentimental value! :becky:

niharjhatn

They should have consulted more deeply...

@GK it is not really fair to call it sentimental value only, for others they may mean different things.

Coal is replaceable. These caves are not.

KS

Bye bye DFI
A nation that goes back on its roots/home grown culture especially a diverse nation like India that is bound only by that native culture is essentially shooting itself on its feet.

Its 2000 years old for god-sakes, its a treasure a heritage that we should preserve with our lives.

Last edited:

anoop_mig25

Country flag
well i should not give any religious twisit to it but if structure would had been islamic or churches then huge huy cry would had been raised over it by our media but since it is an buddist caves nobody bothers (as they are not vote banks):mad2:

KS

Bye bye DFI
well i should not give any religious twisit to it but if structure would had been islamic or churches then huge huy cry would had been raised over it by our media but since it is an buddist caves nobody bothers (as they are not vote banks):mad2:
Infact in South Mumbai during the last demolition drive of structures constructed illegally on Govt property they demolished three or so crosses and some half a dozen temples. In that one of the cross (St.Mary's cross) and four of the temples were 100 + years old.

Immediately after the demolition the xtians again re-surrected the cross on the same spot (somewhere in Colaba) saying it affected their sentiments and the Govt asked the BMC not to demolish it again while the plea to restore the 4 temples is still pending. Tats the mentality. Get used to it.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^ Wonder where the oh-you-evil-Hindus secular brigade is....

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
There is a saying "If You Meet The Buddha On The Road, Kill Him"
There are also a lot of sayings against atheists from all different organized religions around the world. I am sure you would know it better as I don't want to waste time arguing with someone self-deluded.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We are known to disregard anything that has historical significance. Most of our heritage sites are in dilapidated condition. Everything is game to be demolished for the sake of short term commercial gains. Truly pathetic. Look at how western countries preserve their heritage. We truly don't value our rich heritage.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ 100% Correct. Thank you for this reality that has not dawned our government yet.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
There are also a lot of sayings against atheists from all different organized religions around the world. I am sure you would know it better as I don't want to waste time arguing with someone self-deluded.
Do you know the meaning of that saying? It means do not get attached to anything, the first necessity for enlightenment is not to be attached to anything. Moreover the Buddha never said there was any God and he would have gladly given up any cave. So are you going to be mad at Buddha?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Do you know the meaning of that saying? It means do not get attached to anything, the first necessity for enlightenment is not to be attached to anything. Moreover the Buddha never said there was any God and he would have gladly given up any cave. So are you going to be mad at Buddha?
What He essentially meant was that godliness can be attained through immaterialism and through pursuit of truth. However, Buddhism is itself branched. There are nihilistic branches of schools and there are theistic branches. Please let me give you an example. In Japan, there are Shiva and Sarasvati temples that are dedicated as they originate from the Lotus Sutra, which is one of the sutras of Buddhism. And then there is what I would easily called Insult to Buddhism by what Sri Lankans follow that are literally ruining our Path.

One needs to realize that the whole essence of God is in oneself, meaning that we are a part of this Godliness's creation: the Universe. It has a very deep philosophy that even I am not so certain about. However it doesn't mean that denying way of life means it ceases to exist. Which means that a small essence of Godliness exists within ourselves.

Gautam Buddha's advise in general was against self-proclaimed superiority (such as casteism), hate, violence, lust and other such negative emotions. The liberation from material life was a key to attainment of enlightenment. The very meaning of 'Buddha' means "enlightened one".

You however did not keenly put forward the whole point of this article like how Yusuf put it straight.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Not much different from Afghanistan, are we ??
The only justification here this government has is " we are secular while Afghans were Taliban". So now we get the meaning of secularism alright. I can understand how and why the saffron right wing came into mainstream politics. And I am not the only one who sees a growing common problem that the so called thekedars of secularism carry.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
What He essentially meant was that godliness can be attained through immaterialism and through pursuit of truth. However, Buddhism is itself branched. There are nihilistic branches of schools and there are theistic branches. Please let me give you an example. In Japan, there are Shiva and Sarasvati temples that are dedicated as they originate from the Lotus Sutra, which is one of the sutras of Buddhism. And then there is what I would easily called Insult to Buddhism by what Sri Lankans follow that are literally ruining our Path.

One needs to realize that the whole essence of God is in oneself, meaning that we are a part of this Godliness's creation: the Universe. It has a very deep philosophy that even I am not so certain about. However it doesn't mean that denying way of life means it ceases to exist. Which means that a small essence of Godliness exists within ourselves.

Gautam Buddha's advise in general was against self-proclaimed superiority (such as casteism), hate, violence, lust and other such negative emotions. The liberation from material life was a key to attainment of enlightenment. The very meaning of 'Buddha' means "enlightened one".

You however did not keenly put forward the whole point of this article like how Yusuf put it straight.

Well i have been seeking enlightenment for the past 6 years very rigorously with self-inquiry and mediation. If most people have tried as hard as i have, they would not be able to take it. I know that sounds very egoistic but if someone had really tried hard then they cant help but sound arrogant but that is not arrogance it is only a surety that seeking shows you.

Siddhartha never said there was any God and useing the word God itself is very misleading. The word God has been trashed with no meaning left in it anymore, if we use terms like 'God is in us' then that causes a separation, there is God and You, which leaves the seeker to seek for the god in him. Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Your thoughts are what create this narrow entity that you call "I".

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Well i have been seeking enlightenment for the past 6 years very rigorously with self-inquiry and mediation. If most people have tried as hard as i have, they would not be able to take it. I know that sounds very egoistic but if someone had really tried hard then they cant help but sound arrogant but that is not arrogance it is only a surety that seeking shows you.

Siddhartha never said there was any God and useing the word God itself is very misleading. The word God has been trashed with no meaning left in it anymore, if we use terms like 'God is in us' then that causes a separation, there is God and You, which leaves the seeker to seek for the god in him. Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. Your thoughts are what create this narrow entity that you call "I".
But then again, you need to know the significance of each of these quotes and their true deep meaning. There is both nihilistic as well as 'God' approaching paths in Buddhism. But then again there are a lot of things He said as well as what Krishna said for you mainstream Hindus that may or may not be possible in today's era such as total honesty.

Trust me, attaining that level of enlightenment is very very difficult. I meditate regularly after my daily training as well. But to attain that level of enlightenment, you and I would not be able to talk on Computers or anything material. That's common rule for attaining enlightenment in all branches of Dhamma be it mainstream Hinduism (Such as rishis and yogis), Buddism and other sects: total detachment to worldly desires.

Let's get on topic shall we? The topic is regarding how wonderful this secularism is....

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
But then again, you need to know the significance of each of these quotes and their true deep meaning. There is both nihilistic as well as 'God' approaching paths in Buddhism. But then again there are a lot of things He said as well as what Krishna said for you mainstream Hindus that may or may not be possible in today's era such as total honesty.

Trust me, attaining that level of enlightenment is very very difficult. I meditate regularly after my daily training as well. But to attain that level of enlightenment, you and I would not be able to talk on Computers or anything material. That's common rule for attaining enlightenment in all branches of Dhamma be it mainstream Hinduism (Such as rishis and yogis), Buddism and other sects: total detachment to worldly desires.

Let's get on topic shall we? The topic is regarding how wonderful this secularism is....
The topic is about Buddhist caves getting destroyed by Capitalism.

To become enlightened one does not need to become a monk, even the Buddha said there is no need to torcher yourself seeking like many monks and yogis do. To merely follow meditation does not bring about enlightenment, if you really practiced mediation you will go mad. Realizeing yourself does not require any mediation, such realization can even happen if you havei sex like Osho or when watching some one cutting wood like J.Krishnamurti. If mediation is the only way then millions of Buddhist or Hindus would have Awakened but after thousands of years only a few handful had the courage to let go.

In essence the man who is protecting the Cave and the man who wants the Coal are both the same, they both are attached to what they think will save them from misery. So both remain miserable.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles