197 Light Utility Helicopter Deal

Which is the Best Solution for Indian Army`s ULH requirement ?

• Total voters

sathya

Country flag
Re: India's $1B Deal for Light Helos Faces Cancellation

Make more Dhruvs..

when dhruv itself ALH , we can use it till single engine LUH gets ready..

we can buy/co develop for that 3 axis tech or something ..

sathya

Country flag

In my opinion LCH, LUH, HPT 40 are all guaranteed success ..

why buy those when we can make those ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

One does not need this, I smell arms dealers..

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

good news for me i think HAL can do this i dont see the tender is necessay except some critical components which we already have tie up with Turbomeca . if we can build dhruv and Light combact helicopter i think we can build a small utility chopper

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

In my opinion LCH, LUH, HPT 40 are all guaranteed success ..

why buy those when we can make those ?
India is looking for Turbomeca to redesign Shakti for a single engine gearbox but the bid is too high. We won't come down on price until we win LUH so any indigenous attempts will fail. This claim of cancellation based on an Italian bidder that isn't in the shortlist is bunk.

pmaitra

Can we take our Aérospatiale Alouettes, install more powerful turbines onto them, and make a better machine out of it? Or does it have to be still smaller?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Alouettes are old technology made of metal mostly and heavy, But new generation Helo have carbon composite materiel which makes them lighter..

We have Chetan and advance version of Chetak which is design to do so but proved not successful in those heightsand that is why we are looking at LUH / LOH..

Here are the details :

The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited's (HAL) re-engined and upgraded Chetak helicopter -- Chetan created history when it successfully completed hot and high altitude tests in the Siachen Glacier recently. With this performance, Chetan has proved that it can conquer the Himalayan heights up to its service ceiling of 21,300 feet. Till now, the operations of the Chetak were restricted to 10,000 feet, due to a number of limitations.

Piloted by Wg Cdr P.S. Rao and Wg Cdr S. Jain, the Chetan underwent a series of trials from August 16 to 23rd in the Siachen Glacier under hostile conditions. "We have gone for a trial validation and Chetan had never operated there before. The tests were conducted well within the existing envelope of the original helicopter (Chetak)," the pilots, who are just back in Bangalore, said.

Though, the armed forces are operating the Cheetah for high altitude operations, the Chetan provides certain significant benefits over the Cheetah, due to its larger cabin volume. The recent tests by HAL have proven that the Chetan can comfortably carry a payload of up to 100 kg at altitudes of 21,000 feet and at temperatures up to international standard atmosphere ISA+15 deg C.

Complementing his boys for this challenging effort, HAL Chairman Mr Ashok K. Baweja said: "It's a significant achievement by Chetan making all of us in HAL fraternity proud. Chetan is sure to become a friend in need for the lying casualty thereby giving a morale boost for our troops."

The large cabin volume of the Chetan will now enable carriage of up to 5 passengers or large voluminous loads. This will be a good morale booster for the troops employed in such adverse environmental conditions.

"Chetan's fete is a double delight to Team HAL and a long-cherished dream, which opens up many new vistas for our troops serving in adverse conditions. It will now enable the evacuation of lying casualty even from the highest helipad in the Glacier, says Wg Cdr (Retd) C.D. Upadhyay, HAL Chief Test Pilot.

The Chetan project was commenced by HAL in January 2005 after the success of re-engining of the Cheetah helicopter (now Cheetal), which created the world's highest landing record. The project was taken up as an in-house effort by HAL, mainly to fulfil the vacuum that existed as far as casualty evacuation at high altitude was concerned. The project was moved on a fast track and all the required modifications and flight tests have been completed in a record time of eight months.
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Indian Helicopter and their Max service ceiling compare to foreign and projected Indian LOH..

HAL Cheetah Max service ceiling 24,000+ feet

HAL Chetak Max service ceiling 10,000 feet

HAL Chetan Max service ceiling 21,300 feet

HAL Dhruv Max service ceiling 27,500 feet

Eurocopter Fennec Service ceiling: 17,323 ft

Kamov Ka-226 Service ceiling: 20300 ft

HAL LOH/LUH Service ceiling: 21,300 ft

----------------------------------

( Sarcasm added )

Dhruv MK3 beats all..

abingdonboy

Country flag

Indian Helicopter and their Max service ceiling compare to foreign and projected Indian LOH..

HAL Cheetah Max service ceiling 24,000+ feet

HAL Chetak Max service ceiling 10,000 feet

HAL Chetan Max service ceiling 21,300 feet

HAL Dhruv Max service ceiling 27,500 feet

Eurocopter Fennec Service ceiling: 17,323 ft

Kamov Ka-226 Service ceiling: 20300 ft

HAL LOH/LUH Service ceiling: 21,300 ft

Dhruv MK3 beats all..
It is has got 2 powerful Turbomeca Shakti after all!

+any news on this front? It all seems a bit up in the air at the moment and I personally was really hoping this deal would go through soon.

agentperry

tenders get cancelled and HAL projects get delayed. this will go on until unless one unbalanced terrorist attack of border skirmish hits the forces and exposes the gaps

sathya

Country flag

India is looking for Turbomeca to redesign Shakti for a single engine gearbox but the bid is too high. We won't come down on price until we win LUH so any indigenous attempts will fail. This claim of cancellation based on an Italian bidder that isn't in the shortlist is bunk.
it hurts , but have to agree .. Now i understand why we need 100% indigenous tech.
no one should dare to threaten like what you told..

though India can buy other engines, but still atleast all critical parts must be made in house.
Damn now i dont even like to call DHRUV indigenous ..:mad: bcoz it depends on foreign critical parts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Well no private companies are providing the needed parts for Dhruv that is why one need to import..

Also the design is 'INDIAN' and such a design which can accomplish the impossible..

sathya

Country flag

I respect K9 engine development .. we have achieved something .:hail:

BTW do we have any choppers engine development programme ?:confused:

sathya

Country flag

double post....:p

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Dhruv runs on HAL/Turbomeca Shakti turbine engine

I respect K9 engine development .. we have achieved something .:hail:

BTW do we have any choppers engine development programme ?:confused:

vishwaprasad

Country flag

so what is next? Rafale cancellation?

cloud_9

Country flag

via Press Information Bureau
The Ministry has not deferred its decision of purchasing of 197 Light Utility Helicopters (LUHs) and the procurement case is under examination.

The Defence Procurement Procedure lays down stringent guidelines to effect utmost probity and transparency in procurement transactions.

It is not a fact that these helicopters were to be purchased from Government of Italy. In the context of an allegation against one service officer, as appearing in the media, information has been sought from the Government of Italy.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to ShrimatiBimlaKashyapSoodin Rajya Sabha today.

DM/HS/NN
(Release ID :89942)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

The 197 reconnaissance and helicopter surveillance helicopter deal won't go through, says a new magazine report. Chopped For A Second Time happens to be the headline of the report by my network colleague INDIA TODAY deputy editor Sandeep Unnithan in the latest issue of the magazine (first flagged online here). Unnithan reports that there may not be a formal cancellation, but that the deal simply won't be allowed to go through.

This is going to come as a sledgehammer blow to both Eurocopter and Russian Helicopter Co, that have waited over two years since field evaluations for guidance on a result. Worse still, this is a nightmare situation for the Army and IAF which both desperately need light helicopters to replace their near obsolete Alouette-II/III (Cheetahs and Chetaks). What the IAF chief said at yesterday's press conference now has meaning.

Sources at one of the companies say they're getting conflicting inputs on the status of the bid. Will be speaking to them in greater detail shortly. Will update this post.

From : Livefist: R.I.P India's 197 Copter Deal: Magazine Report

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles