19 PIA planes grounded

gokussj9

Country flag
19 PIA planes grounded | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

ISLAMABAD: Nearly half of the PIA fleet has been grounded because of poor maintenance of its old and outdated aircraft.

"The Pakistan International Airlines is facing grounding of highest ever number of 19 planes in its history," a source told Dawn on Sunday.

Two PIA aircraft have been grounded after emergency landings in Leeds, UK, and Muscat recently.

But the PIA management termed the grounding of planes a 'routine' process of maintenance and repair. Its spokesman Mashhood Tajwar confirmed that 19 aircraft were not operational at present, but said they had not been grounded. "We have to differentiate between grounding of planes and their routine maintenance work," he said.

The spokesman claimed that only five aircraft were not airworthy. He, however, agreed that several planes were old and needed extraordinary maintenance and repair work.

"Sometimes repair work requires many days and as a result planes cannot fly," he said. According to sources in the PIA, the department of procurement and purchase was responsible for the delay in maintenance of aircraft because it has been working with three main posts lying vacant for a couple of months.

They said officiating director Omar Razzaq, who is said to be a political appointee, was the only man looking after the affairs of procurement because the posts of general manager purchase technical and logistic, deputy general manager purchase technical and commercial technical and manager purchase and technical had been vacant for some time.

"As three main posts are lying vacant in the procurement department, the purchase of spare parts has been delayed," the sources said.

The PIA's information technology department is also said to be working without a director.

The sources said poor marketing had affected PIA's Umrah season. The national airline "conducts Umrah operation with 50 to 60 flights every year, but this year other airlines provided service to Pakistani pilgrims because PIA's marketing department failed to talk to Saudi authorities".

Last year, President Asif Ali Zardari had taken notice of emergency landings by PIA aircraft.

The presidency's spokesman said: "The president has expressed deep concern and dismay over recurring reports of emergency landings of the national carrier, mostly due to 'technical reasons' and said that the first and foremost responsibility of managers of any airline is to ensure that the fleet is in perfect condition to ensure safety of passengers."
Isn't 37 like more than half of the fleet of PIA?:confused:

Decklander

@Farhaan, We Indians did it as a test case for your nukes by corrupting your software.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
May be Talibunnies have grounded those 19 planes to do hijacking practice since pakis are planning to make worlds tallest building :hmm:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I thought this was a thread on theDreamliner and it being grounded!

My error.

But this much I will say, the Dreamliner has proved to be a PIA to many an airline. In other words - Pain In (the) A...!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
PIA was never the best airline in Asia or anywhere.

It was however doing well.

I have even flown with PIA's predecessor - Orient Airways!

It was owned by Ispahani, Adamjee, and the Arag group.

Now, the PIA is as good as being non existent!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
PIA was never the best airline in Asia or anywhere.

It was however doing well.

I have even flown with PIA's predecessor - Orient Airways!

It was owned by Ispahani, Adamjee, and the Arag group.

Now, the PIA is as good as being non existent!

farhan is living in some falsified past where PIA was the best intergalactic airways. :D

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
PIA losses soar to Rs154bn
SLAMABAD: Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) total losses have touched Rs154 billion mark - Rs70 billion in local currency and over $885 million in foreign currency. This was revealed by the management of PIA here on Tuesday during a meeting of National Assembly Standing Committee on Finance held with Sohail Mansoor in the chair.

PIA losses soar to Rs154bn
PIA has gone down the tube!

Blackwater

poor pakis ,forced to fly with PIA.to get out of their country.

as no western airlines come to pak.so they have to either fly with PIA or via dubai.cost them money and time:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I don't think we should be unkind to Pakistan.

The communication is in quite a mess.

The PIA is in deep problems and the Railway is on the blink with the Chinese locos not working and the new one awaited!

And money as with every other organisation in Pakistan non existence.

It is high time that Saudi Arabia and China helps them.

Blackwater

I don't think we should be unkind to Pakistan.

The communication is in quite a mess.

The PIA is in deep problems and the Railway is on the blink with the Chinese locos not working and the new one awaited!

And money as with every other organisation in Pakistan non existence.

It is high time that Saudi Arabia and China helps them.

i think they are giving money in the name of Islam to pakis but all their $$$ goes to test NASR

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Saudi money is actually I SLAM for Islam!

I am reading a book on Bin Ladens.

It is an eyeopener how much the rich Saudis to include the Saudi camel kings give for Islam in Pakistan!

But then, Pakistanis are clever.

They cloak the Islamic zeal and instead line their pocket and keep their conscience clean thinking it is zakat.

After all the Pakistanis feel they are beggared compared to the Saudis!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles