18 factoids in ‘Caravan’ profile of Shekhar Gupta

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by sasi, Dec 3, 2014.

1. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

shekharThe December “media issue” of Caravanmagazine has a 20-page profile of former Indian Expresseditor-in-chief and shortlived India Todayeditor-in-chief Shekhar Gupta.
    Authored byKrishn Kaushik, the profile is titled “Capital Reporter”, with the strapline “How profit and principle shaped the journalism of Shekhar Gupta”.
    # The son of a minor bureaucrat from Haryana,Shekhar Gupta‘s annual salary atThe Indian Expresssometimes exceeded Rs 10 crore ($1.6 million) per year. Current chief editor Raj Kamal Jhagot Rs 1.25 crore, Jaideep “Jojo” BoseofThe Times of Indiawas paid under Rs 2 crore.
    # Shekhar Gupta made Rs 36.67 crore in “capital gains” in 2009-10, through the demerger of theIndian Express‘s real estate wing and the newspapers, which resulted in the sale of the iconic Express Towers at Nariman Point in Bombay.
    # Gupta is not too bothered with his exit fromThe Indian Expressor his even hurried exit fromIndia Today: “Look, I am a bit of a big fish right now for these factors to bother me now.”
    # A senior television journalist is quoted as saying: “He is a social terrorist. He will look at you for five seconds, then look at the next person coming in.” CongressmanMani Shankar Aiyarsays Gupta once “cut me dead and walked away” at a party.
    # Paranjoy Guha Thakurta: “He looks down upon you [if you are unable to make use of the opportunities the free market throws up, work hard and make it to the top].”
    # After interviewing over 50 people, the reporterKrishn Kaushikwrites that “detractors of the ‘Shekhar Gupta phenomenon’ contended that Gupta’s wealth compromised the “Journalism of Courage” he promoted at theIndian Express.
    # Gupta categorically says: “Nobody can ever find a paisa which will be a surprise to my taxman or to any of my employers.”
    # Fallen Tehelkaeditor Tarun J. Tejpalwho is quoted several times in the story, says: “If in reviving theExpresshe made money, not just thelala, I don’t know what the problem is.”
    # When anIndian Expressreport on the alleged violations in the acqusition of land for Reliance Industries chief Mukesh Ambani‘s Antilla tower was to appear in the Bombay edition, he called resident editor Samar Halarnkar“from a train in Italy” although in fairness, he did not block the story.
    # Krishn Kaushik writes that at least half-a-dozen current and former members of theExpressnews team gave the reporter “specific instances” of stories being killed, allegedly without discussion with those reporting them—stories that went against a top industrialist, a cabinet minister, a real-estate group.
    # One journalist described how Gupta once had him debrief a foreign government agency, which seemed irrelevant to any of the stories he was working on.
    # Former Union home and finance ministerP. Chidambaramwas the ‘holy cow’ in theExpressnewsroom. “You could not criticise him.” TheExpressstaff “sort of had the feeling that theAmbanis were untouchable.”
    # Around the time Shekhar Gupta became CEO ofExpress, a gentleman calledB.S. Ramanwould come toExpressTowers in Bombay for a few hours every day from the nearby Reliance Industries’ office at Maker Chambers. Raman tells the reporter he was asked by his office to help Viveck Goenka‘s company.
    # AExpressstaffer told the reporter that the C-story “ The January night Raisina Hill was spooked” had been pushed byP. Chidambaram, who was then the home minister, andNehchal Sandhu, then the director of the intelligence bureau.
    # Kaushik writes that Chidambaram pushed for Shekhar Gupta to be nominated to the Rajya Sabha in 2009, which was eventually given to formerTribune, Express, TOIandHindustan Timseditor,H.K. Dua. However, both Gupta and Chidambaram deny the claim.
    # “Ashutosh Rais” was the pen name of formerBusiness Standardeditor T.N. Ninan, for pieces which he wrote forDemocratic World, where Shekhar Gupta held his first formal journalism job as an assistant editor.
    # Shekhar Gupta had been in touch with Aroon PurieofIndia Todayfrom around the time he relinquished the CEO role atThe Indian Expressin August 2013.
    # Gupta’s mentor Arun Shouriesaid the jump toIndia Todayas vice-chairman and editor-in-chief was a mismatch: “Yeh shaadi galat ho gayi hai.”
    Anant Goenka, the son of Viveck Goenka who headsExpress‘ online push and whose arrival in 2010 is widely seen as propelling Shekhar Gupta’s exit, did not speak to theCaravanreporter, saying he did not want to discuss an “ex-employee.”

http://t.co/yDVGr76IJG

3. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

If pm tweet this story,i wonder how msm will react!