17 years later, Liberhan Commission submits Babri report to PM

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jun 30, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

17 years later, Liberhan Commission submits Babri report to PM
    30 Jun 2009, 1114 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: Seventeen years after it was set up, the Liberhan Commission probing the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya on Tuesday submitted its report to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

The commission, which had got 48 extensions, submitted the report to the Prime Minister by Retd Justice M S Liberhan in presence of home minister P Chidambaram.

The contents of the report were not immediately known.

According to Times Now, the report could reveal role of BJP's L K Advani and Bajrang Dal in Babri incidents. Report could also shed light on number of other top BJP leaders.

Set up within ten days of the demolition of the mosque on December 6, 1992, which triggered widespread communal violence leading to heavy loss of lives, the panel has become the country's longest serving Commission of Enquiry.

The commission, mandated to inquire into the circumstances leading to the demolition of the Babri mosque was to submit its report by March 16, 1993 but sought repeated extensions to complete its probe.

The last three-month extension was given in March this year.

The probe panel was one of the costliest commissions having spent nearly Rs eight crore. The bulk of the amount was spent on the salaries and perks of the supporting staff.

During the extended proceedings spread over 400 sittings, the commission recorded the statements of senior BJP leaders L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and then chief minister of Uttar Pradesh Kalyan Singh.

The panel had completed hearing the last witness in 2005.

17 years later, Liberhan Commission submits Babri report to PM - India - The Times of India

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Brace up for all that might follow.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Has anything ever happened?

India is not a happening place.

Another insipid political weapon like the Delhi Sikh riots, Gujarat, Mumbai and so on!

5. Yusuf

Nothing will happen in terms of action against the perpetrators, but a lot will happen on the political circus.

6. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Govt will take appropriate action on Liberhan report: Congress
    30 Jun 2009, 1348 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: The Congress on Tuesday said government will take appropriate action on the report of Liberhan Commission which probed the 1992 demolition of Babri Masjid in Ayodhya.

"The Commission has submitted its report. Government will now study the report and take appropriate action," party spokesman Manish Tewari said.

Asked whether the government would take action against individuals if they have been pin-pointed by the Commission in its enquiry report, Tewari said, "there is no point in going into speculation unless it is known what is in the report."

He, however, added that the government will "apply its mind" and come to "appropriate conclusions".

The Commission, which was set up 17 years back after the demolition of the mosque in 1992, got 48 extensions. The panel has become the country's longest serving Commission of Enquiry.

Retd Justice M S Liberhan today submitted the report to the Prime Minister in presence of home minister P Chidambaram. The contents of the report were not immediately known.

The Commission, mandated to inquire into the circumstances leading to the demolition of the Babri mosque, was to submit its report by March 16, 1993 but sought repeated extensions to complete its probe. The last extension was given in March 2009.

Govt will take appropriate action on Liberhan report: Congress - India - The Times of India

7. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

I am independent today: Justice Liberhan

New Delhi, Jun 30: "I am independent today". This is what justice (retired) MS Liberhan said on Monday after submitting the one-man Commission's report on the 1992 Babri Masjid Demolition to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Refusing to divulge the contents of the report, he said, "I submitted the report to the Prime Minister. There are various things that I have stated in my report. You can read

"It is up to the media to commend it or condemn it," he said.

Asked why the Commission, which had got 48 extensions, took 17 years to prepare its report, he attributed it to delay in getting witnesses and the non-cooperative attitude of some people.

Liberhan said the government will study the report and take action accordingly and then submit the report and the action taken report to Parliament.

He said the report is a "privilege" of Parliament and he would not be able to say if he has recommended any penal punishment. "I can't open my mouth for this. The report can speak when it comes out."

I am independent today: Justice Liberhan

8. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

No regrets for events of December 6, 1992: Uma Bharti
    Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi, June 30: Unruffled by the submission of Liberhan Commission report on the Babri demolition, firebrand Hindutva leader Uma Bharti on Monday said that she has no apologies for the events of December 6, 1992.

Bharti, who is among the accused in the demolition of the 16th century mosque, lashed out at the Congress-led UPA government for playing politics and termed the move as an attempt to consolidate the Muslim vote bank.

Speaking to a private news channel, She reaffirmed her support for the Ram Temple cause, Bharti said, "I wanted the old structure to be destroyed but not in that way. But it’s okay,” and added that she is ready to be hanged for the temple cause. She, however, clarified that "none of us had planned to demolish the structure". She also defended Advani, another co-accused, saying that the former deputy PM was not happy over the episode.

On the present situation, Bharti said that the scenario has changed and Kalyan Singh, who was the Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister when the incident happened, has apologised.

The probe panel was one of the costliest Commissions having spent nearly Rs eight crore. The bulk of the amount was spent on the salaries and perks of the supporting staff. During the extended proceedings spread over 400 sittings, the Commission recorded the statements of senior BJP leaders L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and then chief minister of Uttar Pradesh Kalyan Singh.

Meanwhile, senior BJP leader Vinay Katiyar dismissed the report saying that the report has no standing anymore as the panel took 17 years to submit the report against the stipulated time of four months.

RSS ideologue Govindacharya said that he was relaxed that the report is finally out . He, however, refused to comment saying that it is premature to talk about the content of the report.

No regrets for events of December 6, 1992: Uma Bharti

9. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

At the most, I see a media war between (pseudo)secular parties and BJP and nothing else, no convictions, no punishments.

10. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

'Excessive protests' by BJP shows guilty mind: Congress

New Delhi (PTI) The Congress on Tuesday said "excessive protests" by the BJP even before contents of the Liberhan Commission report are out show a "guilty mind".

"Excessive protests by the BJP in advance reflects a guilty mind," party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi said reacting to BJP's statements after the Liberhan Commission probing the Babri mosque demolition in 1992 submitted its report to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Tuesday.

Senior party leader and AICC in-charge for Uttar Pradesh Digivjay Singh said that there was a conspiracy to bring down the Babari mosque and the entire world has seen who all were involved.

"The Government will place the report before the people. A conspiracy was hatched... the entire world has seen on television that BJP leaders were involved...What is there to prove," Mr. Singh said and took names of BJP leaders Uma Bharti, Vinay Katiyar, Murli Manohar Joshi and Lal Krishna Advani and Kalyan Singh as those accused in the case.

Mr. Singh alleged that the entire emotion (leading to the demolition of the mosque) was whipped up by Advani's Rath Yatra.

Mr. Singh said that the then UP Chief Minister Kalyan Singh has already got punishment from the Supreme Court and he had also apologised for it.

The Hindu News Update Service

11. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Ram Janambhoomi alone is not core of Hindutva: Govindacharya

New Delhi (PTI) Former BJP leader N. Govindacharya on Tuesday said though he was not aware of the contents of the Liberhan Commission report, the core of Hindutva ideology was not based on the Ram Janambhoomi issue alone.

"Core of Hindutva ideology does not depend only on the single issue of Ram janmabhoomi alone. It covers such a wide aspect of society itself," Mr. Govindacharya told reporters.

Mr. Govindacharya is a close associate of former BJP leader Uma Bharti, who is an accused in the Babri mosque demolition.

"I am feeling relaxed that after all the report has come out and as far as the contents of the recommendation are concerned, nobody knows now. I will be able to comment on the recommendations when it will be available for us," he said.

Questioning the delay in submission of the report, Mr. Govindacharya said it should have been completed "some two years back".

"I cannot understand the reason of such delays. If the report is worthy of that much delay, it will be proved only after going through the report," he added.

Along with Ms. Bharti, senior BJP leaders L.K. Advani and M. M. Joshi are among the accused in the case.

12. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

so the same can be said about the congress in the 84 riots case can it

13. Yusuf

Its obvious that if the report says that the senior BJP leaders are involved, then their will be a huge out cry. If it does not, then again there will be.

Between all this, everything will be brushed under the carpet. All the years the Justice has spent, and the money spent on it will be a waste.

14. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

yusuf ji i simply dont understand the fact that any thing on the BJP or the RSS is given an evil twist i do understand that part of the blame is with the RSS And the BJP but still the so called seculerist is also not clean for example the CPIM in the marad case or its studenst the DYFI or the SFI are Goon traning houses but yet they get of scott free why is it

15. Yusuf

Watching new channels, BJP leaders look a little subdued. I was expecting them to go on the offensive. Maybe till all the contents are known, they will keep quiet.

The thing is that this report is all about fixing resposibility of Babri Masjid demolition. Other talks about branding anyone evil is not the topic.

It's also time to move on as well. I fear that this report has come so late, that it was best not to submit at all. It will just dig old wounds. Nearly a generation has passed since the event. We dont need any more divisions in the society

16. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

Would the society be satisfied if no justice is made for them and what would be their faith for the nations judicial system then?

17. Yusuf

That it has taken do long itself is "justice" denied if at all there was any jugdement to be passed. Nothing has happened in the past to various reports. Even if this report incriminates say Advani, Uma Bharati, Murli Manohar joshi, what will bevthe next step?

It's only going to serve to further polarize the country.

18. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

I agree with Yusuf. This report will be used as a political weapon by political side against the other. Our political section should have trying to resolve Ayodhya(by reconciliation), instead they are using it for scoring cheap political points. This is the bane of our democracy. If congress(or any other party) is serious about providing justice(as they call it), I would like to see the GOI walking the talk in terms of going after those that are named in this report.
    These commissions have become a timepass tactic for political parties(and money making scheme for retired judges). What was this Liberhan doing for so many years? Why didnt he submit his report early?

19. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

The only party that can ever benefit from the Ram janam bhoomi issue at any given time of the year is the BJP,however the catch is the issue has to be raised by non BJP parties,only then will the BJP capitalize on it.This is why all the parties including the BJP have been more or less silent on the Babri masjid issue during the just concluded election.

BJP will be hoping there is a din,while the congress,third front fourth front will want to see it disappear as quickly as possible.

20. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

BMAC asks Centre to act against those found guilty by Liberhan

Lucknow (PTI) The Babri Masjid Action Committee on Tuesday asked the central government to act against those found guilty by the Librehan Commission which probed demolition of the Babri Mosque.

"Though the report came late but we still welcome it. Now, the Centre should table the report in Parliament in the first week of July itself. The matter has already been delayed and it should not be delayed further," the Committee's convenor Zafaryab Jilani told PTI.

He demanded the central government act against those found guilty by the Commission.

"The world should know the facts and the Centre should prove its bonafide by acting against guilty," he said.

Mr. Zilani demanded the Centre table action taken report in Parliament.

"As the report has been submitted, required administrative action should follow. For instance, if any officer is found guilty by the Commission, then CBI should be directed to lodge a FIR against him," Mr. Jilani said.

"Similarly, charges of conspiracy were dropped against some leaders, including the BJP's L.K. Advani, during the NDA rule. If the Commission had found the conspiracy aspect, the CBI should be directed to add the charges against them," he said.

21. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Make Liberhan report public: Mayawati

Lucknow (PTI) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and BSP president Mayawati on Tuesday demanded that the Liberhan Commission report be made public and advocated stern punishment to all those found guilty.

Ms. Mayawati told reporters that the government should make the report public without delay so that the facts could come to light.

Regretting the delay in submission of the report which, she said, had undermined the sanctity of such commissions, Ms. Mayawati said though the probe panel was set up by the Congress government, her party hopes it would expose the hand of Congress, "which was equally responsible for the demolition along with the BJP".

Stressing that she would give the detailed reaction of her party on the report only after reading it, Ms. Mayawati said the Manmohan Singh government should act fast on the findings.