11-year-old RTI girl sends legal notice to PM

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by sasi, Dec 19, 2012.

1. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

11-year-old RTI girl sends legal notice to PM
    In response to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s comments on the alleged misuse of the Right to Information (RTI) Act, an 11-year oldgirl, who is a well-known RTI activist, has sent Singh a legal notice, asking him to either furnish documentary evidence to corroborate his remarks or face legalaction.
    In a notice sent to the Prime Minister on Monday, Urvashi Sharma said RTI activists across the country were deeply hurt by his remarks.
    “Being a citizen of India, a social worker, a RTI activist and a person having deep faith in the ideals enshrined inthe Indian Constitution, I ask you, through this letter, to kindly either put documentary evidences to support your statement or take your words back and issue a public apology,” she said.
    “In case this does not happenwithin a period of 60 days from the day you receive this letter, I will be left with no option other than moving a suitable judicial forum for yourworking against the expected work culture of a prime minister, your anti-RTI stance and hurting sentiments of numerous RTI users,” the notice stated.
    PM’s speech
    Sharma referred to the prime minister’s speech on October 12, 2012, delivered at the Annual Convention of Information Commissioners in New Delhi, where he mentioned “some obvious areas of concerns about the way the Right to Information Act is being used presently and I had flagged a few of them when I addressed this convention last year.”
    “There are concerns about frivolous and vexatious use of the Act in demanding information, the disclosure of which cannot possibly serve any public purpose.
    Sometimes information covering a long time-span or a large number of cases is sought in an omnibus manner with the objective of discovering an inconsistency or mistake which can be criticised. Such queries, besides serving little productive social purpose, are also a drain on the resources of the public authorities, diverting preciousman-hours that could be put to better use,” the prime minister had reportedly said.
    /

3. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

The child is unlikely to have any thoughts independent of her parents, who apparently use her for their own publicity.

Deccan Herald is having a slow news day.

Dovah likes this.
  4. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Why use a baby as a pawn?

5. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

I may not be good judge of misuse of RTI, but I personally know that a good lot of RTI query are sent on little expense or effort on the part of the sender, but takes a humongous effort , time and manpower for the part of the Office and officials. A good no. of query (but most assuredly not all) are meant for causing trouble for the office only, which by no means serve any "public" interest. This RTI thingy is a real good thing, until is misused by those people. It sometimes makes one wonder, what a BPL card holder would do with copies of last 10 years of office orders or information from officials' service record, which is very much an internal matter?!! The BPL person asks for the photocopies from all the offices of GoI, which in turn makes the Govt. spend 10-12 thousand rupees (if not more) simply to reply with all the photocopies sent from all the offices spread around the country.

It doesn't even bring to focus the matter of staff-starved departments of the GoI. If you can believe, the Dept. of Revenue works with about 40-60% sanctioned strength - in some places in some grades (mostly lower ones where manual work is naturally more) as low as 15%. Now just think what happens to the already over worked people who doesn't have manpower to even manage day-to-day work, when a frivolous RTI comes and he has muddle through all the old records?

most of the guys here can't understand, but the fact IS that RTI needs a little amendment, whereby it is ensured that the requested information is truly going to be used for some Public purpose, else wasting man-hour of GoI officials are also wasting public money.

6. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

jack, let them get manpower, RTI is good tool for public. In the case you mention above, dept should write back, please pay Rs.10 per page before we give photocopy and if guys are smart, you will photocopy all the files ask them to pay the amount and incase they fail, get a decree and sell their personal assets.

Btw regarding legal notice nothing would happen even if matter goes to court. PM has not named anyone, even if he refer class of people, it will not come under defemation. It has to be a individual for defamation.
    This is nothing but publicity stunt.
    Infomation from can be used and misused that does not mean GOI should not be transprant.

7. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Problem is manpower is going to be even more grave due to GoI's effort to cost cutting. Chidambaram has already issued order regarding ban on recruitment of staff.

I know and appreciate the transparency that RTI brings. I guess no system can ever be misuse proof.

however, as per RTI rule u can't ask a BPL person for payment regarding any expense of RTI. Therefore, I raised the BPL issue.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    sayareakd likes this.