105 mm Light Tank by DRDO

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
105 mm Light Tank

DRDO has developed a light tank based on BMP-II chassis with 105 mm turret (GIAT industries, France). This
vehicle is aimed to carry high caliber weapons without sacrificing the strategic or tactical mobility. Mechanical
integration of turret with chassis, stability during firing, and compatibility of 105 mm Indian Armour Piercing Fin
Stabilised Discarding Sabot (APFSDS) ammunition with turret have been established during the trials.

Salient Features
3 men crew for turret
105 mm semiautomatic main
gun with muzzle brake
Capable of firing APFSDS, APDS
(Armour Piercing Discarding
Sabot), HESH (High Explosive
Squash Head) ammunition
COTAC semiautomatic Fire
Control System (FCS)
Accurate ranging by LRF
Low-light level TV for
commander and gunner
Panoramic sight for
Commander
Al alloy turret with 12.7 AP
protection level
Amphibian capabilities
Stowing capability: Main gun–42 rounds; turret–10 rounds; ammunition compartment–32 rounds

http://www.drdo.com/pub/techfocus/2009/aug09.pdf

J

John

automated firing would be better with guided 105mm rounds and how much does it weigh??? Can it be deployed from our c-130J, C-17 or MTA??

Ratus Ratus

Professional
there appears to be a hint of BMP-II hull styling sitting all these.

And they expect to get 7 soldiers in the ICV as well.

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
Abhay chassis look far better than BMP-II one , DRDO should mount 105MM turret on Abhay chassis for light tank & come with variant of 105mm howitzer tracked version as well on same platform for use in north east & for export as well :)

JBH22

this project has been around since I was in high school and army doesn't appear to be interested yet DRDO continues to push this old combo of GIAT gun/BMP 1 chassis and they wonder why IA.Take a look of the other light tanks on the market :p

mikhail

Country flag
this project has been around since I was in high school and army doesn't appear to be interested yet DRDO continues to push this old combo of GIAT gun/BMP 1 chassis and they wonder why IA.Take a look of the other light tanks on the market :p
i think that the IA dismissed the proposal of the DRDO to manufacture an indigenous 105mm light tank based on the BMP-2 chassis a long time ago.plus from what i know the IA is really interested on the Polish ANders 105mm light tank and might go for it in the near future when it'll be fully developed:cool2:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
i think that the IA dismissed the proposal of the DRDO to manufacture an indigenous 105mm light tank based on the BMP-2 chassis a long time ago.plus from what i know the IA is really interested on the Polish ANders 105mm light tank and might go for it in the near future when it'll be fully developed:cool2:
IA is now going for T90MS for mountains.

mikhail

Country flag
IA is now going for T90MS for mountains.
yeah i have heard about it that they want to buy atleast 350 T-90MS tanks from the Ruskies to equip the two new mountain divisions that we are forming in the North East region.but i wonder what will be the advantages of a T-90MS tank which weighs around 43 tons in the mountainous regions of Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim when the IA is also looking to induct at least 300 new light tanks at the same time:confused:!i mean i know that T-90MS will be a formidable force to reckon with in case of a future Indo-chini war as the chinis literally don't have anything to counter it but the light tanks will have better mobility in the mountainous region:rolleyes:.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
105mm Gun is good, But IA wanted 120mm cannon..

BMP-2 based tank might be useful to BSF..

Damian

Well, I do not want to advertise here too much products of Polish industry but, currently the Polish Army probably sended their requirements for the new lightweight/mediumweight platform, and the OBRUM will redesign a WPB Anders, in to something that might interest IA very much.

Because WPB means in Polish "Multirole Combat Platform" it is from base designed to have installed different mission modules. Technology Demonstrator had several times changed the configuration, which shows that this goal of the designing process was full success.

As we can see on the graphic, WPB will have different weight depending on armor configuration and weapon system configuration.

The basic variant for the lighterweight applications will have maximum weight of 25 tons, and will be completely amphibious + still can be uparmored if nececary, after uparmoring and changing mission modules to the heavier ones, weight is 35 tons and more if required, in such configuration, the WPB can be used as a light tank, self propelled howitzer and other possible applications.

Also what is important, the WPB lightweight/mediumweight platform will share as many as possible, common components, with new heavyweight platform that will be used for new MBT and will have a weight of 50 tons or more if required.

The WPB will be also avaiable in two variants, there will be variant with 12 road wheels (6 per side) and 14 road wheels (7 per side) that will be slightly longer, and will offer more internal space if required.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
If the weight is below 26 tons yes, AFAIK AFV's can still swim if their weight is max 25 tons.
Not only mass would be a factor, but displacement as well, I believe.

Damian

Perhaps, as far as I know, M2 Bradley was able to swim untill due to up armoring, it's weight was well above 25 tons, currently used M2A2 and M2A3 are weighting approx 30 tons and probably around 35 tons with ERA installed.

Global Defence

Articles