100% as cut off!!

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Recently some Delhi University colleges raised the cut off for admission to 100%. ridiculous as it sounds, it is justified and it also points at the sad state of Indian education institutes.

Why would a college have to keep 100% as cut off? It means there are not enough high quality colleges going around which means every student aspires to go to one or two top institutes. The institutes have to have a criteria for admission as well and therefore the easiest one is having a cut off.

High cut off marks on the other hand also raises questions about how marks are awarded. Maths is the only subject where one can score 100%. How can anyone score 100% in English, Hindi (second language)? Or for that matter in economics or any other theory subject? So there is something wrong in the correction system as well.

All in all, it just shows the sad state of Indian education system.

3. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

You are yet to see the UPSC cut offs 1 mark decides your service

4. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

when markes are equal then age decided it in UPSC.

5. Yusuf

What can be worse than 100% cut off?

6. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

welcome to the new education system from Mr.Kapil Sibal

7. Yusuf

It has nothing to do with him.

8. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

He was the one who said he was revamping the education system and there was a huge debate just 3 months back!!

If he really did anything then why should it come up to 100%? This just shows he did nothing and things have gotten worse.

India will do well to open up the Education sector completely with 100% foreign direct investment unlike in other sectors where you need an Indian partner. If we cant build collages to keep up with the pace then we need atleast outside investment to do the job!

100% cut off is madness and i wonder how many students are qualified to that cut off?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

Kapil Sibal has messed the School Education System

10. Yusuf

Many get 100%!! that's why I questioned the correction process as well and the criteria to award marks. How the he'll can anyone score 100% in theory, English etc??

Just for your info, that college with 100% cut off is out of seats!!! Their list is out.

11. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Yusuf,

the questions to be asked are,

is SRCC the only commerce college in india?
    are people from other colleges not cracking IIMs or going on to be CAs/CSs?
    are all these 100% cut off kids making it through the IIMs or going on to be CAs/CSs?

and the answer to all of the above is an emphatic no.

all that one needs to crack an IIM is a top CAT score, a good pi/gd round, with an eligibility criteria if my memory serves me right over 50% marks in both 10+2 and graduation, so who is stopping others? fact remains even people who have scored in their 50% in 10+2 and grads make it to IIMs or other top management institutes and many 90(+)% students dont.

further question, are people passing out from IIMs the only ones making a very successful top corporate career, sure when they start their career they get a heads up over others but does the opportunity scope for others cease?

fact of the matter is a lot of things are way too over hyped, misguidance in abundance and lack of knowledge and the way the market is, the opportunities are endless and if there is a dedicated hard working person, the scope of growth is huge, one just needs to keep eyes and ears open and be smart to know when is the time to make the move and if someone cant get a job, be an entrepreneur, what better and who is stopping people from doing it, no job gives an opportunity to multiply your salary in a year's time till the time you are cracking a very good interview or you have reached a stage in career where you get a share in the yearly profits.

here is a story of this doctor, who today is considered one of the finest in india, a padma shri recipient.

was to apply for a very good medical college/hospital way back in 1980, was not able to make it through, went to delhi, started this department in a pvt hospital and was one of 5-6 doctors to have joined that place, the hospital was to grow many folds and go on to be recognized as one of india's finest and is a one of the top names when we talk about medical tourism attracting people from across the globe. today the same doctor is not only highly respected in india for the contribution in the field he works but is well recognized world over.

it is hype which creates a lot of fault lines, a 100% cut off and the perception of making it big only through that college is a part of that fault line.

parents need to be a strong support group, and kids be made to realise their endless potential in what they are good at and not just be a part of bher chal. reminds me of 3 idiots!

12. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Yusuf 100% is possible due to the current pattern of questions and the marking system as specified by the CBSE. My wife is a teacher and she has been checking the board papers for some time now.

As for the new CCE launched by Mr.Sibal, you will have most of the students with A1 grades. That is how the things are going on.

LurkerBaba likes this.
  13. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

As per the media reports from CBSE there was only one student who could qualify for this criterion.

14. Yusuf

TR you are right about how people become successful even if they don't go to school let alone top colleges. But there are a lot of question marks on higher education system.

15. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

well mr sibal is making our education system more simple.oral examination in 10th etc etc are making things simpler and simpler no board examinations in 10th,grades from other feilds increase overall %.

this year in my state mahrashrta highest student got 95% marks and adding sports quota he/she got 100% marks. what non-senes is this.they donot have exams till 8th std another stupidity . and all this decision are taken so as to resist student form taking his/her life. our policy makers are prescribe wrong medicine to our student and in future i think our education system which has already been downgraded would de-grade future

16. gogbot

gogbot Regular Member

I may be wrong ,

but the problem in India is too many people all trying for the same type or style of course/degree.
    If more variety was encouraged , combined with a increase in the opportunities to gain degree's.
    It could solve some problems.

17. thakur_ritesh

Yusuf,

yes there is a problem with the higher education, and somewhere the quality of teachers and skills used in teaching have a significant part to play and its not just a higher education thing, its across the board the same. arent kids subjected to same high pressures when the school admissions take place? the competition even then is very high. makes me recall where the government was forced to implement that kids wont be allowed to take admissions beyond a certain radius of kms from their house, happened in delhi i think and reason was the same, too much competition these little ones were being exposed to and at such a tender age.

talking about teaching, come to think of it, does teaching come as a first job option to us when we look to take up jobs, those are very rare people who truly have a passion for teaching, add to that the requisite skills and much needed patience to be a good teacher and if the teacher is not good, no matter how good a system one tries to develop, the system will see faults and failures creep in because the guidance remains poor.

i recall kapil sibal crying, get me good teachers, which he said was the key to any education reform, something to which he said, he has no real answer to. for majority, teaching is a no more than a good time-pass job and one that is "safe".

tare zameen par was a good example of what a good teacher could do with not so good and/or a problematic student.

problem creeps in with the sentiment that key to success lies down the beaten path and so one ends up with too many people trying for the same thing. we in india make sure the thought process is killed or limited right from childhood and by the time adolescence comes, the kid is so sure of a few limited ways to that success that he just cant think of any thing else.

does it come as any wonder that most people are studying to be a doctor or an engineer or a management course?

the bad part of this is, when the kid crumbles under pressure and not performs up to the expectations/mark, the kid completely loses out on confidence and at worst, suicide seems the only viable option!

18. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Indian education system is all rotting and then vomiting. Creative ideas/ critical debates have no place in our educational system, not in primary schools, not in universities. All that is in demand are percentiles. This was bound to happen.

19. Yusuf

Yes I see people in the west taking up courses which makes me wonder how they will make money. We have not been exposed to that kind of variety in pursuing careers.

You are right about people thinking only about engineering, medical or management courses only. Which then raises questions about the kind of economy/society we are which has only limited scope for other specialized studies? It means no jobs or career options for people who would live to do something different but are forced to follow the herd so that they get a job.

20. thakur_ritesh

mate, when i was to start my career, my job was with a top fmcg company which is into cosmetics/hair cosmetics. heck that was the first time in my entire life that i was exposed to the kind of money a hair dresser makes! a hair straightening product which costs them no more than rs250 (back then) was sold by certain 5star hotels for something like rs10000-15000.

you have few people who have done vidal sassoon, and boy they make money or what!

class 12 pass outs with a few years of work-ex and training making many more than many of those rather "well-educated" doctors/engineers/managers passing out from all those rather prestigious institutes, heck i with my management degree used to go to them to generate business for my company.

how may of these "100% cut off" kidos might have thought being a top hair dresser could earn them much more than many of the pass outs from all those institutes. what these kids dont really realise is, even if they land up with a top corporate job, they will still be working for someone else, and that someone else is in fact running a business.

here is this company, another fmcg/cometic major, which pays more to their head technician (hair dresser) than they pay to that divisions business head!!!

i think yes a certain economic standing is a must where a sense of economic security is there, coupled with getting over with the psyche of not doing the usual jobs which are seen in "high esteem", which is i think where we indians take a beating, though not all. i have met some very well educated people, who might not be hair dressers but they run very successful hair salon business, with great business sense and no, not all of them are women, if thats a stereotype again.

21. Yusuf

One thing is for sure, while I would encourage my kids to do well academically, I will never put any pressure on them to come first in the class or score 100%. I would rather have them being good in other extra curricular activities, sports etc. My 31/2 year old son is showing all signs of being a sportsman one day. Wields the bat well and kicks the football like a pro!!