10-year prison term for China activist

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
10-year prison term for China activist

Beijing, March 25 (AP): A longtime Chinese democracy activist was sentenced today to a heavy penalty of 10 years in prison for advocating government change in online articles that authorities say slandered Communist Party leadership as autocratic.

The trial came amid a vast crackdown on activism in China that may reflect government anxiety about unrest inspired by uprisings in West Asia and North Africa. Dozens of well-known Chinese lawyers and activists have vanished, been interrogated, held under house arrest or criminally detained for alleged subversion.

Activist Liu Xianbin, who has previously spent a decade in prison, was found guilty of inciting subversion of state power by the Suining Intermediate People's Court in Sichuan province after a trial that lasted a few hours, his wife Chen Mingxian told The Associated Press.

Liu's sentence is among the heaviest handed down for inciting subversion, an offence stipulated in Chinese criminal law as punishable by up to five years, or in serious cases, more than five years.

Chen, who attended the trial, said her husband was calm and composed and looked relatively well, but that the judge frequently interrupted Liu and his lawyer's attempts to present a defence. Chen said that after the verdict was delivered, Liu shouted, apparently in frustration: "I'm innocent! I protest!"

"The 10-year sentence to me, because we've already been through 10 years ... (is) a repeat of the painful process, one in which I can only watch and wait anxiously," said Chen, who is a schoolteacher. The couple have a 13-year-old daughter. China's authoritarian government routinely uses the vaguely worded subversion charge to jail activists it considers troublemakers.

Link
One learns of dissidents being jailed in China for long terms.

This is not unusual.

However, what exactly are their crimes?

Are they advocating violent overthrow of the Communist Govt? If so, that naturally would not be acceptable.

Would calling a govt 'autocratic' be wrong? And what if it is 'autocratic' so what?

Or does it go against the projection of the Govt that it is a very benign, benevolent and very caring govt. Every govt in the world claims to be doing much for its people when in actuality it does not. What's so new about it that should spook the Chinese Communist Govt?

What exactly is the Chinese Communist Govt afraid of?

If Chinese rules were applied in India, then I presume more than 3/4th of India's population would have been in jail.

But then without such rules that restricts dissensions, grousing, bellyaching and a form of slavery, there would be no progress.

It must always be remembered that most of the Wonders of the World like the Pyramids and so on, would not have been such marvels, but for slave labour!

And there is no doubt, that the progress of China from a poverty stricken, impoverished nation of lazy opium addicts, its spiralling to these great heights is but another marvel of the world.

redragon

Country flag
Hi Ray,
It's only good for the activist, do you remember Nelson Mandala? I bet to be jailed is one thing the activist dreaming about.
Maybe good for CCP too, it may feel safe in holding stale
But if this were up to me, I'd be thrilled to have him hanged, :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
True.

But why waste time on giving such fellow the necessary martyrdom they are hunting for by arresting them and giving long sentences?

I don't think that they can spearhead any movement against the Govt, or can they?

Nelson Mandela became a focal point of a movement that even the repressive white govt of RSA could not contain.

But is this Liu such an icon?

jazzguy

This is not unusual.

Are they advocating violent overthrow of the Communist Govt? If so, that naturally would not be acceptable.

Would calling a govt 'autocratic' be wrong? And what if it is 'autocratic' so what?

Or does it go against the projection of the Govt that it is a very benign, benevolent and very caring govt. Every govt in the world claims to be doing much for its people when in actuality it does not. What's so new about it that should spook the Chinese Communist Govt?

If Chinese rules were applied in India, then I presume more than 3/4th of India's population would have been in jail.

But then without such rules that restricts dissensions, grousing, bellyaching and a form of slavery, there would be no progress.

It must always be remembered that most of the Wonders of the World like the Pyramids and so on, would not have been such marvels, but for slave labour!

And there is no doubt, that the progress of China from a poverty stricken, impoverished nation of lazy opium addicts, its spiralling to these great heights is but another marvel of the world.
See this is the different point of view between India and China. I was one of Tiananmen students in 1989. After twenty years I finally understand why the political activists are bad for China. It is proved in past 30 years that single party rule (or whatever you label it) is the best system to develop China.

badguy2000

Respected Member
the death of several dozen victims in Tiananmen square in 1989 was a tragedy.

But it would be a disaster ,if riots in Tiananmen Square had not been suppressed in 1989.

I would opt a tragedy rather than one disaster.

badguy2000

Respected Member

This is not unusual.

that is why Maoists and rebels are rampant in India while such mass-rebel have disappeared in China for long time.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles