India has 3rd-highest number of HIV-infected people in the world

Neo

India has 3rd-highest number of HIV-infected people in the world

Four out of ten people affected by the HIV in the Asia-Pacific region are Indians.

Yahoo India-–-Thu 17 Jul, 2014
NEW DELHI: India has the third-highest number of HIV-infected people in the world, according to a UN report.

About 2.1 million Indians are affected with the deadly virus. Four out of ten people affected by the HIV in the Asia-Pacific region are Indians.

India is one of the six countries which account for more than 90 per cent of the people living with HIV in the region. The other five countries are China, Indonesia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.

The HIV treatment, according to a NDTV report, is only 36 per cent in India though there are 51 per cent of AIDS-related deaths in the country.

The number of HIV infections declined in India by 19 per cent but still accounts for 38 per cent of all new infections in the region.

The AIDS-related deaths declined by 38 per cent between 2005 and 2013. There was more access to HIV treatment in the country during this period. More than 700,000 people were on antiretroviral therapy at the end of 2013 - the second largest in the world.

According to the UN report, the HIV infection dropped from 10.3 per cent to 2.7 per cent among female sex workers but increased in Assam, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh.

In the past 12 months, over two million more people have contracted HIV, bringing the number of people living with HIV to 35 million globally, says a report released by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), Xinhua reported.

The UNAIDS report points out that of the 35 million HIV infected people, 19 million do not know they have the virus.

Close to 13 million people now have access to antiretroviral treatment (ARV), an increase of 2.3 million from last year.

Three out of four people on treatment are in Sub-Saharan Africa. This comes as more people get tested and governments secure funding for treatment.

South Africa continues to bear the brunt of the HIV epidemic.

One in five new HIV infections in the world took place in South Africa, chief executive officer of the South African National AIDS Council, Doctor Fareed Abdullah, said.

One out of every four new infections in South Africa is in young women between the ages of 15 and 24, Abdullah said in remarks distributed by the South African Broadcasting Corporation.

He said the number of new HIV infections among young women remain a major challenge.

Although with a higher infection rate, South Africa puts more HIV patients on antiretroviral treatment, compared with other African countries.

One in five people on antiretroviral treatment in the world live in South Africa. That means 250,000 of those 2.4 million are being treated in the public sector in South Africa, according to Abdullah. (With inputs from agencies)

https://in.news.yahoo.com/key-high-risk-hiv-groups-threatens-aids-progress-073019952.html

Neo

Re: India Has Third Highest Number Of HIV Infected People In The Wotld

@pmaitra, please adjust typo in thread title, I am unable to do that.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

The reason I started this thread is because not a single day here on DFI goes without the socalled trolls brigade mocking and celebrating new polio cases in Pakistan.

Polio, a crippling but not deadly desease that has recorded 94 cases this year. It is mainly concentrated in traditionally orthodox and poorly developped area's of Pakistan. But every single case is discussed in a new dedicated thread with great passion, I believe 4-5 such threads are running already.

HIV however is a deadly and more dangerous desease with 2.1 million registered cases in India, worlds third largest concentration. Number of unregistered cases could be even higher since incubation time can.be extended to months and even then it might take a long time before it manifests itself to the bearer of the virus.

How hypocrite is that to mock a troubled nation with a handful polio cases when you are sitting on a time bomb yourself?

Objective thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Hari Sud

Country flag
These funny statistics belong in the gutter heap. Why target India. What bout other countries including US and Europe. India's numbers appear large because India's population is 1.2 billion souls.

To compare apples with apples then take all of Europe including Russia, add to it all of North America, Latin America, Brazil and Mexico etc. and count the number of HIV infected people, i bet this number would be much higher than India.

Get my point.

If you do not inform the public properly then it becomes NGO created data to mislead the public.

Remember this for the future when funny statistics are published.

Free Karma

Pakistan sees eight-fold increase in HIV cases in 11 years - Pakistan - DAWN.COM
The 12 countries account for more than 90 per cent of people living with HIV and of new HIV infections in the region.
The countries are Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
The numbers are from 2012. I guess there is no data for Pak from 2012 as such medical workers are brutally killed by various organizations :lol:

Neo

These funny statistics belong in the gutter heap. Why target India. What bout other countries including US and Europe. India's numbers appear large because India's population is 1.2 billion souls.

To compare apples with apples then take all of Europe including Russia, add to it all of North America, Latin America, Brazil and Mexico etc. and count the number of HIV infected people, i bet this number would be much higher than India.

Get my point.

If you do not inform the public properly then it becomes NGO created data to mislead the public.

Remember this for the future when funny statistics are published.
Suit yourself, here's an indian source for you:

HIV AIDS Statistics India 2012 -India HIV AIDS Statewise Statistics

Neo

Free Karma

Still obsessed about Pakistan when your own problem is much worse?

Is that the solution of everything in India, just point fingers to others and hope the problem will go away?
By your own admission:
The reason I started this thread is because not a single day here on DFI goes without the socalled trolls brigade mocking and celebrating new polio cases in Pakistan.

Hence...
Still obsessed about India when your own problem is much worse?

Is that the solution of everything in Pakistan, just point fingers to others and hope the problem will go away?
fixed :)
:lol:

Where is the data for Pakistan since 2012...is that trolling for you? hehehe

Neo

My question still remains unanswered; Are 94 polio cases in Pakistan more important than 2.1 million and rising number of HIV infected in India?

Free Karma

Around 160.000 max according to:

Pakistan
So you also have roughly 0.1% of your population infected with AIDS? Same as India...Why not look at your own country...it has this problem and polio.

See while you are concerned about India..look at your own country even in aids

More than 130,000 people are HIV infected in Pakistan and only 7819 are registered People Living with HIV (PLHIV) in various centres and of them merely 3700 have access to treatment with AIDS drugs - known as antiretroviral therapy (ART). The number has increased from 90,000 in 2011 to 130,000 in 2013, according to estimation of NACP, UNAIDS and World Health Organisation.
In Pakistan, proportion of reported to estimated PLHIV is lowest in the region (3.0 per cent); the ART coverage is approximately 9.8 per cent and number of Injecting Drug Users (IDUs) receiving ART per 100 HIV-positive IDUs (2009) is less than 1 per cent. In addition, laws protecting PLHIV against discrimination and preventing obstacles to access to HIV services for vulnerable sub-populations, are also not existent in Pakistan.
HIV cases surge in Pakistan

And despite this you are obsessed with aids in India :lol:

Meanwhile back in India
HIV/AIDS in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New HIV cases among adults have declined by half in India since 2000, according to a new UN report which praised India's contribution to AIDS response through manufacture of generic antiretroviral drugs.

The UNAIDS lauded India for doing "particularly well" in halving the number of adults newly infected between 2000 and 2009 and said some smaller countries in Asia like Afghanistan and Philippines are experiencing increases in the number of people acquiring HIV infection.

The report says India has contributed enormously to the AIDS response."With 80 per cent of these drugs being generics purchased in India, several billion dollars have been saved over the past five years. The country is also committed to new forms of partnership with low-income countries through innovative support mechanisms and South?South cooperation," the UNAIDS report says.

It also points out that India already provides substantial support to neighbouring countries and other Asian countries – in 2011, it allocated USD 430 million to 68 projects in Bhutan across key socio-economic sectors, including health, education and capacity-building. In 2011 at Addis Ababa, the Government of India further committed to accelerating technology transfer between its pharmaceutical sector and African manufacturers.
fix your own Aids problem first.

Neo

I am not the one opening a new thread for every HIV infection case in India because I am well aware of our plagues and challenges ahead but you apparently care more about polio in Pakistan and HiV in India, hence so many threads and shameless trolling.

Free Karma

I am not the one opening a new thread for every HIV infection case in India because I am well aware of our plagues and challenges ahead but you apparently care more about polio in Pakistan and HiV in India, hence so many threads and shameless trolling.
So basically accepting that this is a troll back thread :lol: Good, thats what I wanted. :namaste:

Free Karma

Yes indeed, fix your own problem first before mocking on others.
We did, there is no polio in India.

Edit:. It's also in our interests to keep a watch on such things. We share a land boundary, and there is a risk of it jumping over, especially when your people use fake certificates to travel abroad.

Last edited:

Neo

So basically accepting that this is a troll back thread :lol: Good, thats what I wanted. :namaste:
You clearly missed the message. Not unexpected though. Soon other trolls will land here to assist you.

thethinker

Country flag
My question still remains unanswered; Are 94 polio cases in Pakistan more important than 2.1 million and rising number of HIV infected in India?
Do they shoot medical personnel who work with AIDS in India ? Does India consider it a conspiracy and against religion to treat AIDS?

Now, please explain why Pak does that when it comes to polio?

Neo

Do they shoot medical personnel who work with AIDS in India ? Does India consider it a conspiracy and against religion to treat AIDS?

Now, please explain why Pak does that when it comes to polio?
Orthodox and extremely underdevelopped regions of FATA and parts of Balochistan resist to polio vaccination, it's been a success compaign in densely populated eastern provinces. The new outbreak is due to high migration from FATA. Now with over 800.000 people in IDP camps including 300.000 children, its a golden opportunity to vaccinate them and we are exploiting it.

But you haven't answered my question. Is a handful polio cases compared to 2.1 million HIV infected people more important hence 4-5 threads?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles