Indian AShBM

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Indian AShBM

[tweet] 496128101198200832 [/tweet]

BTW Dr Chander has confirmed in his i-view to me that India is developing a rough equivalent to the DF-21D ASBM for anti-access/area denial.

[tweet]496128101198200832[/tweet]

power_monger

Country flag
I knew that chinese blew off a old satellite at a alttitude of 700Km. But can china destroy a Geo-stationary satellite place at a attitude of 36000Km from earth. 700 km is way far away from 36000 Kms? can anyone please clear my understanding.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
I knew that chinese blew off a old satellite at a alttitude of 700Km. But can china destroy a Geo-stationary satellite place at a attitude of 36000Km from earth. 700 km is way far away from 36000 Kms? can anyone please clear my understanding.
I don't know we have such A SAT to kill geo stationary Satellites .But our Agni 5 Have capabilities to kill Satellite's which is flying at altitude of some 1000 KM ..But still we didn't tested it.

Please Don't confuse ASAT- Anti Satellite Missile
AShBM- Anti Shipping Ballistic Missile

and we continue to discuss AShBM in this thread

Bheeshma

I doubt they would copy a joke like df21 when k15 exists to fill that role with some modifications

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
Indian AShBM

[tweet] 496128101198200832 [/tweet]

BTW Dr Chander has confirmed in his i-view to me that India is developing a rough equivalent to the DF-21D ASBM for anti-access/area denial.

That is a waste of money!
India is not expecting a war confronting an American offensive force with 6-7 aircraft carriers in next 30 years.
In terms of Chinese, it is more likely a conflict on the land instead of sea.
Even if we send a fleet into Indian Ocean, Indian navy and air force have enough bombers to take care of it.

no smoking

Country flag
Not yet!
But according to some Americans, Chinese is very close to that target.

There Are Hints that China's 2013 Rocket Launch Was an Antisatellite Test | Global Security Newswire | NTI

And here is another guy's analysis regarding the test in 2013:

How High Did China’s May 2013 Launch Go? - All Things Nuclear

no smoking

Country flag
I doubt they would copy a joke like df21 when k15 exists to fill that role with some modifications
Firstly, with only 700km range, your K15 can hardly reach any aircraft carrier which can easily attack your outside this distance;
Secondly, this "some modifications" took Chinese 20+ years and there is still no clear evidence that DF21D was tested successfully.

t_co

"Developing" can mean anything from throwing bullet points onto powerpoint slides to doing feasibility studies all the way to live-fire tests - steps which are separated not by years, but by decades. Dr Chander's response is essentially meaningless.

Bheeshma

The range of K15 is not 700 km , unless it is carrying more than 1 tonne payload. The DF21 is just a joke and will never really find a maneuvering carrier.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
"Developing" can mean anything from throwing bullet points onto powerpoint slides to doing feasibility studies all the way to live-fire tests - steps which are separated not by years, but by decades. Dr Chander's response is essentially meaningless.
By the way t_co ji, your profile pic is nice and cute.....

no smoking

Country flag
The range of K15 is not 700 km , unless it is carrying more than 1 tonne payload.
If you are aiming to turn K15 into a carrier killer, you will need to put lots of extra equipment into the warhead: sensor, radar and small engines, etc, which means you can hardly reduce the weight.

The DF21 is just a joke and will never really find a maneuvering carrier.
Yes, that maybe true. But K15 has been able to reach the tech level of this junk yet, which was developed based on JL-1.

Bheeshma

JL-1 another junk that need the sub to be surfaced to fire. When did it turn into AsHm? The K15 in Ashm mode thanks to terminal speed of mach 6+ only needs 300 kg warhead. The idea is mission kill not sink the ship.

Illusive

Country flag
Wouldn't Hypersoncic Brahmos should do the trick, why waste money on anti-ship ballistic missiles. HSTDV and Bhramos are already in development and these high speed kill vehicles can penetrate any hull with its sheer kinetic force.

Bheeshma

True Brahmos-II will suffice unlike DF-21 which is mostly hot air.

Bheeshma

Not really an ASHM is it. It can only hit stationary targets on land just like K-15

PaliwalWarrior

i assume when we say AshBM -Anti Ship - by ship we mean AirCraft carrier only not other small ships

I dont think anyone will use a volley of 5-6 AShBM to kill a corvette / desstoryer this will used only for Aircrat carrier

Now if the purpose is to take the aircraft carrier out of the equation we have a potential missile - Brahmos and in future Brahmos 2 & LRCM (super/hyper sonic)

See to make an aircraft carrier ineffective we dont need to sink it. we just need to make the runway deck unusable which means a big hole on the TOP DECK such that it is not repairable on seas.

once the TOP DECk is unusable for Takeofff / Landing the carrier is out of the equation as the power of the carrier is in the Aircrafts it can launch

Now if you remmber correctly then in last few days the Brahmos was tested with Top Attack/Steep dive profile

i.e. just imagine

Brahmos are launched in salvo mode at a carrier

it approaches in sea skimming mode

many are taken out by the Group defences

But what we need is only 1 to go through the defences into the min defence ring where the defence systems will be ineffective

Then the brahmos can go from sea skimming mode to dive altitude then go for manouvering S curve - steep dive at supersonic speeds and it need not hit at any particular point

it can hit any where on the landing /takeoff deck

the only problem is release range 250Km for Brahmos - if the range wud have been higher say 500-700 km ( as is proposed to LRCM) and if it is hypersonic then the chances of it being launched undetected and going thru the defences wud be higher

Twinblade

Country flag
Saurav Jha: What is the status of the anti-radiation missile and the long range anti-ship missile?

Avinash Chander:
The long range anti-ship missile is on the drawing board, and we are confident that in about six years we would be able to get it ready. The long range anti-ship missile is going to be a ballistic missile with a seeker which can hit ships at long range.
http://ibnlive.in.com/blogs/sauravjha/2976/65363/interview-with-dr-avinash-chander-drdo-chief-and-scientific-adviser-to-defence-minister.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles