Godrej Aerospace builds, delivers BrahMos missile components

vram

Country flag
Godrej Aerospace builds, delivers BrahMos missile components : Maharashtra, News - India Today

Godrej Aerospace on Thursday handed over the first batch of 40 sets of airframe assemblies to BrahMos Aerospace Pvt Ltd (BAPL) for its supersonic cruise missile, an official said here.

Part of Godrej & Boyce Manufacturing Co. Ltd, Godrej Aerospace will produce another 100 BrahMos missle airframes for BAPL.

BAPL Managing Director and CEO A.S. Pillai was handed over the order completion documentation formalities by Godrej group Chairman and Managing Director Jamshyd N. Godrej Thursday afternoon.

"Our association dates to Aug 2000. For more than a decade, we have been committed to the cause of indigenous manufacturing of advanced weapons systems for our country and shall continue to do so in future," Godrej said on the occasion.

"Godrej's investment in exclusive facilities for BrahMos has made it a partner of choice. We have awarded them with additional orders for BrahMos missile airframe assemblies and increased their scope of work for the project," Pillai said.

The BrahMos missle, with a flight range of upto 290 km, can carry a 200-300 kg conventional warhead. It can cruise at altitudes ranging from 10 metres to 15 kms and maintain a speed of more than one km per second in the supersonic mode.

Once fired, it does not need any guidance from the control centre, making it a fire and forget missile.

A highly versatile missile, it can be launched from land, sea and air. Its sheer speed makes it a highly lethan weapon and its pin-point accuracy helps minimize collateral damage.

The first BrahMos missile was fired June 12, 2001 from a land-based launcher at the interim test range off the Chandipur coast in Odisha.

Formed in 1998, BAPL is a joint venture between India's DRDO and Russia's NPOM.

Read more at: Godrej Aerospace builds, delivers BrahMos missile components : Maharashtra, News - India Today

Good to see the private sector more involved in these activities. The next time some government union related to the brahmos components factory in kerala decide to go on strike for flimsy reasons they always will know about this threat of total outsourcing to the private sector.

pmaitra

Almirahs,Furnitures,TVs,Refrigerators,Washing Machines,Supersonic Missiles- Complete range of products from Godrej!:lol:
Just the frame. I guess their almirah and refrigerator making expertise is coming handy while making the body shell. The missile is still made by, IIANM, BDL.

Even L&T has been in the news for making PSLV rocket body shells.

acetophenol

Country flag
Just the frame. I guess their almirah and refrigerator making expertise is coming handy while making the body shell. The missile is still made by, IIANM, BDL.

Yes ofcourse!Nice to hear such developments. Also Nilkamal[plastic chairs,tables] makes polymer mags for INSAS .

pmaitra

by the way bro,few days ago,there was a brahmos test.did the forum miss it?
I surely missed it. Why don't you post it? I assume it was one of those regular tests, or was it a new version?

vram

Country flag

ISRO is surely giving out signals of completely outsourcing the process of building the PSLV. I think they are just looking for establishing a steady stream of clients before going that route...else it wont be profitable for the industry as well.
I think godrej is capable enough of manufacturing majority of the systems for the brahmos but private might either be prevented beyond a stage due to the sensitive nature of the product.

pmaitra

ISRO is surely giving out signals of completely outsourcing the process of building the PSLV. I think they are just looking for establishing a steady stream of clients before going that route...else it wont be profitable for the industry as well.
I think godrej is capable enough of manufacturing majority of the systems for the brahmos but private might either be prevented beyond a stage due to the sensitive nature of the product.
The critical components of the missile or rocket system, should never be given to private firms. They will simply sell it out to anyone with some minor and not-so-influential modifications as their own innovation. I welcome private firms from developing and selling their military or sensitive hardware, but the government should be very careful in giving out things that it has developed to private companies.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I surely missed it. Why don't you post it? I assume it was one of those regular tests, or was it a new version?
It was a new version of the missile. In a penetration role. A bunker buster if you will

acetophenol

Country flag
http://m.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/brahmos-successfully-penetrates-hardened-targets-in-army-test/article5363952.ece/?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.in%2Fm%3Fq%3Dbrahmos%2Btest%26client%3Dms-opera-mini%26channel%3Dnew

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
by the way bro,few days ago,there was a brahmos test.did the forum miss it?

It was a new version of the missile. In a penetration role. A bunker buster if you will
http://m.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/brahmos-successfully-penetrates-hardened-targets-in-army-test/article5363952.ece/?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.in%2Fm%3Fq%3Dbrahmos%2Btest%26client%3Dms-opera-mini%26channel%3Dnew
Posted on the same day in this Thread

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/strategic-forces/42555-new-brahmos-cruise-missile-range-500kms-16.html#post815668

vram

Country flag
The critical components of the missile or rocket system, should never be given to private firms. They will simply sell it out to anyone with some minor and not-so-influential modifications as their own innovation. I welcome private firms from developing and selling their military or sensitive hardware, but the government should be very careful in giving out things that it has developed to private companies.
In my opinion this might be a good approach for nations that have clear cut and defined rules on private participation of defence industry but not India where evrything is very murky. NO company will take the risk of major investments in military R&D before firm commitment from the government. We all know that it takes quite a sizeable investment for cutting edge research to get goinging. Hence the Govt will have to take the responsibilty of being more hands on in developing the initial momentum for private participation.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles