DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If a person fixing Tejas is not wearing a helmet, steel cap shoes, uniform and is chewing 'Pan Parag' I wouldn't even trust him that he be able to look after my Goldfish, a 3+ gen Fighter jet is too much to ask from the same guy.

I have seen picture of Tejas with staff posing fake and plum ladies staff wearing multicoloured Punjabi suites.

The logic that looks doesn't matter but work does may be right but an organization spending millions of dollars can at least afford to look and behave as professional skilled work force. Or is too much to ask ?

If a Phd. have 'dos and don'ts' or he wants to feel good in his chamber of class systems then I am sorry to say that the organization is doomed to fail or perform poor. I agree a Phd. is paid to think but he should know how to wrench the pneumatic pumps and supervise a healthy work environment also.

There is word is Punjabi ''Muft-khor'' (free ride lovers), people do not want to run extra mile for creativity sake but wouldn't mind delivering a shoddy, incomplete, mediocre product in India. From Indian train toilets to HAL workshop, (heck a guy fixing a tall GSLV-III rocket wasn't wearing helmet and uniform) the story is same.
Not wearing a helmet is not a sign of how things are as far as the competency of the person goes.

Safety is the last thing in te minds of Indians in industry or even hazardous industry.

I know what kind of sub standard material they buy for safety just to comply with laws which are rarely enforced in something like construction industry.

Even then, individuals rarely care for their own safety and flout safety norms even when safety equipment is available.

Let us forget about them, how many of you riding two wheelers wear a helmet even if it is not required by law?

Oracle

Going by my looks and GK's statements, I should have been in Wharton. It's another thing I needed to fend for myself right after college.

On topic about the quality of manpower, we forget that DRDO had been under sanctions until recently. Whatever those guys could do, they did. I am sure they stretched themselves pretty far to built an indigenous fighter aircraft, which the Chinese even after decades of copying have not been able to do so successfully. One thing I dislike is the reservation of jobs based upon caste. This affects companies in the long run.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Let me add on the issue of safety, people dot even wear ear plugs in factories where noise is so high. I have seen people do welding without safety glasses. People don't wear gloves, people don't wear proper footwear, people don't wear a safety harness. Let's not look too far, the garbage collectors are in shabby clothes, chappels, no gloves nothing. Those in the sewer cleaning job are the same.

There is no regard for safety in India.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
GoI is happier sending money abroad than sending it to DRDO to develop indigenous weapons.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nothing unusual.

Good money down the drain!

p2prada

Nothing unusual.

Good money down the drain!
Yeah. But I would say, let's give them that little extra. Eventually, someday, the armed forces will actually benefit from DRDO.:namaste:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ever since their inception they have been flush with money and more money.

When will it be payback time?

They can't even reverse engineer.

Though some wings have done well.

The Armed Forces are keener than them that they should deliver because depending on foreign weaponry is dangerous since the supply can dry up at the critical moment of battle!

noob101

RELATIVELY the DRDO is efficient compared to most other government organizations

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No matter how much we curse them but India cannot able to continue fighting without un restricted supply of Ammo and Weaponry which can only be done from Inside, DRDO job is to deign let them have the best..

Nirvana

Did anyone noticed,saraswat actually acknowledged the development of A6

Nirvana

old news it is sub launch version of Agni series with MIRVs.
Untrue,all this development of SLBM have no connection's with Agni's whatsoever as i said on another thread,this are all new class of Missiles which will be completely different than land based agni's.

the said development of A6 which is actually a Intercontinental SLBM under development with somewhat help from Russian counterpart,the name "A6" as we know was reveled in DRDO's newsletter and was later removed.They don't have shortage of acronyms.they refer to Sagarika as K-15 or B-05

What i fell is the reason behind removing the name A6 was because this will be another in K-series missile and naming it with Agni will wrong isn't it.it will also have a land based version as the newsletter mentioned.

I Quote India today editor Sandeep who brokeout the K-Series missile story

Source -Shiv aroor

"There is a myth created by missile experts on internet forums about SLBM variants of the Agni III and V. They have gone ahead and created several impressions of what it will look like complete with MIRVs etc. The truth is that the K series, and NOT Agni, is the basis for the future SLBM development. This is not contested by the DRDO either. Difficulties with compacting the Agni to fit the 10 metre diameter ATV hull have led to solutions like the K-4."
This missile's will be all new set of Missile with K-4 being it's base missile and will not have any connection with Agni series

The DRDO have never openly reveled development of this Missiles

p2prada

Ever since their inception they have been flush with money and more money.

When will it be payback time?
We can only wish sir. Hopefully one day we can both look back and say we were wrong.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indeed!

Having seen them operate, even in their den, hopefully you shall see them performing in your lifetime.

It will not be in my lifetime and I don't think I am fading away soon! :rofl:

p2prada

Indeed!

Having seen them operate, even in their den, hopefully you shall see them performing in your lifetime.

It will not be in my lifetime and I don't think I am fading away soon! :rofl:
When I am your age I may have to remind the kids of the greatness of DRDO.

I have this feeling that I will outlive DRDO. :laugh:

addiction

Problem in our country is we don't take investment in R&D seriously or don't make it inseparable part of our overall budget allocation for any particular field"¦we want immediate return on our investment therefore we are increasing our import and reliance on foreign tech"¦.it is high time that we invest substantial amount on R&D , at time you may have to pay more to people involved in R&D who may not be generating any revenue(end product/service) than engineer working on INSAT or Agni but in long run, it will make us more powerful and self reliant country like the US.

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Indigenous weapon should not be scuttled by substandard supplies

Says its indigenous weapon programmes should not be scuttled by substandard supplies

Shuklaji / New Delhi Mar 22, 2012, 00:19 IST

The Akash production line at Bharat Electronics Ltd, Bangalore. The DRDO wants to choose the production agency for the weapons platforms that it builds

Besides asking for more funds for research and development (R&D), the Defence R&D Organisation (DRDO) has pleaded not to let its successful indigenous weapon programmes be scuttled by substandard manufacture in defence public sector undertakings (DPSUs) and in production units of the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).

There is a serious concern within the DRDO after the Arjun tank, which outperformed the Russian T-90 tank in army trials last year, disappointed the frontline combat units for whom it was bulk-produced by the Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi (HVF). The apparent reason: poor manufacture and ineffective quality control.

DRDO chief V K Saraswat, during the organisation's 36th Laboratory Directors' Conference that concluded here, on Wednesday, demanded that DRDO have a say in choosing the factory that manufactures its systems.

Seeking intervention of the defence minister, Saraswat stated: "DRDO is mandated to develop prototypes and then hand over to production agencies for large-scale manufacture. But we have realised that a substantial amount of handholding is required in the post-development phase. DRDO would like to play a lead role in (the) selection of production partners and the lead integrator for production of DRDO-developed products, so as to ensure seamless transfer of technology, productionisation and product support.

DRDO seeks to pre-empt potential production glitches in the 248 Arjun Mark II tanks that HVF Avadi will build. Another concern is the Tejas light combat aircraft. While the DRDO-headed Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) has developed the Tejas, it will be mass-produced by public sector giant, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, which is apparently insufficiently prepared for the job. Saraswat also drew attention to the need for "hand-holding" by DRDO in producing the Akash missile system, being built by two DPSUs — Bharat Electronics Ltd and Bharat Dynamics Ltd.

Top DRDO sources tell Business Standard that identifying a production partner at the start of a project, and involving that partner through the development process, is essential for successfully delivering a high-tech product to the military. Instead of the current practice of the MoD arbitrarily nominating a DPSU or OFB factory to build the product, usually when development is almost completed, the DRDO would select a capable partner company from the outset, from the private sector if necessary.

But the MoD quickly made it clear that DRDO would not be given discretionary powers. Defence secretary Shashi Kant Sharma agreed it was crucial to involve a production partner from the beginning of a project, but arbitrary selection was not an option. "For selection of a production partner at the development stage itself, a fair and transparent methodology is much essential. Also, preferably, there should be multiple development or production partners instead of a single production partner," said Sharma.

Defence Minister A K Antony also implicitly opposed Saraswat's proposal, suggesting DRDO discretion might contravene the requirement for transparency. "You must develop this collaboration in a transparent manner. Otherwise, midway, you will land in trouble. We will not tolerate any malpractices"¦ otherwise, ultimately, we will have to cancel the collaboration. At every stage, you must see that we are proceeding as per correct procedure."

"The problem is that nominating a DPSU like BEL, or an ordnance factory, for mass producing an equipment is considered transparent. But choosing a private sector company, even on logical grounds, risks being viewed as a malpractice," says the CEO of a private sector company pursuing opportunities in defence production.

Almost Rs 1,50,000 crore worth of DRDO-developed military equipment have already been introduced into service with the military. The bulk of this has been produced by the public sector, although private sector manufacturers are now beginning to get a small share of the production.

DRDO wants say in procurements

Last edited:

p2prada

Let me add on the issue of safety, people dot even wear ear plugs in factories where noise is so high. I have seen people do welding without safety glasses. People don't wear gloves, people don't wear proper footwear, people don't wear a safety harness. Let's not look too far, the garbage collectors are in shabby clothes, chappels, no gloves nothing. Those in the sewer cleaning job are the same.

There is no regard for safety in India.
Safety. What's that?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Haveing a PC on the apron is not considered a failure in any respect?

I am not talking about looks or degrees not one guy from the great convent schools like Lovedale have ever contributed anything. I am talking of picking the right stuff, the kids who did a virtual controlled robotic hand last year in some science program end up going to the US, why the hell cant we get kids like that to stay or enroll in DRDO? Why is he going to NASA and i have to see these soulless Dip student standing in front of LCA?

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles