Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnantS

Country flag
Nah, sirjee, we have planes in Tajikistan, we also have a hospital which doubles up as a air traffic controller and rest and recuperation center for the...umm.. Northern Alliance freedom fighters who are infiltrated into Pakistan through Tajikistan. I'm not sure if we have an entire squadron and whether it is Mig 29 but we do have (I think, 2) fighter planes there. Though I am not sure about the freshness of my source of information.
Navnit, we have had few helicopters in past, that we had stationed for airlifting injured NA fighters to Indian built field hospital in farkhor. But all these activities were carried with tacit approval from Russia. The operations ceased once US went in Afghanistan. However, there were/are no IAF combat aircrafts over there in Tajikistan. Russia junked plans early one, because it fears India increasing its influence in Tajikistan at the cost of Russia. Russia also wants to appease Chinese, who are equally apprehensive of Indian armed presence in Tajikistan.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/07/will-there-be-an-indian-air-base-in-tajikistan/

AnantS

Country flag
@Navnit Kundu
Slightly unrelated but, the drone strikes which the US undertakes in NWFP is actually to kill these Northern Alliance people which are funded by India, Iran, Russian and which threaten the Pakistani state and the larger US plan of using Pakistan as a safe heaven to train militants to infiltrate into Kashmir, Xinxiang and Central Asia. So it is in our interest for the drone strikes to stop since it is our guys which are being bumped off. This is one issue where we can see eye to eye with the idealist liberals when they protest against US drones in Pakistan. It is in our interest to get the US out of there. The more drones they fly there, the more intel they are collecting on India and the more Northern Alliance people they are killing. It's no good for us.
America must stay in Afghanistan. If Afghanistan flushes down into Pakistan, I am afraid, we will see much more attacks in India with more explicit American approval. America needs Pakistani love in Afghanistan. And Pakistanis need tough love of America. Right now American Public opinion is against Pakistan and increasingly questioning American unhealthy obsession with Pakistan. Granted, that State Dept + Pentagon rough-shods any such American public sentiment, in favor of maintaining 'balance' in Indian subcontinent. However, if the stay of American forces had extended, Pakis would have become desperate and would have acted more foolishly against Americans, making increasingly difficult for Americans to cover/ignore Pakistani misdeeds.

Frankly if America is out, I want China to put her boots in Afghanistan. Now that would be more interesting.

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Navnit, we have had few helicopters in past, that we had stationed for airlifting injured NA fighters to Indian built field hospital in farkhor. But all these activities were carried with tacit approval from Russia. The operations ceased once US went in Afghanistan. However, there were/are no IAF combat aircrafts over there in Tajikistan. Russia junked plans early one, because it fears India increasing its influence in Tajikistan at the cost of Russia. Russia also wants to appease Chinese, who are equally apprehensive of Indian armed presence in Tajikistan.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/07/will-there-be-an-indian-air-base-in-tajikistan/
Okay. I will update myself on this. My sources were only vague ones, I think it was some book about Kargil which mentions aggressive maneuvers by a strange supersonic plane on Pakistan's northern border. The prose was using innuendo to suggest that there might have been a Mig 25 Foxbat flying in Tajikistan. Don't remember the book or the author now. So, the latest update on this is that no Indian planes outside India, correct? (except maybe UN missions in Africa)

I agree, America must stay in Afghanistan, I just want them out of Pakistan. They sit there and fly spy planes and ELINT ops against us and wage a 'Chrislamic' crusade against India. It is in Indian interest for America to have an extended stay in Afghanistan. We should even offer them the Chabahar port as a supply route to resupply their troops in Afghanistan, as an alternative to the Karachi route. This will further diminish Pakistani utility.

I don't mind China playing a greater role in Asia either, including SCS and especially Philippines, provided we can arrive at a mutual understanding for China to stay out of Arunachal and Nepal and Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. It's better that China gets involved in Afghanistan than the US. Russia cannot hold all their erstwhile USSR states together now that their economy is a bit wobbly, India does not have an outward looking pragmatic policy to get involved beyond its borders, then let China chime in and stabilize these regions. The US wants to destabilize Central Asia to hurt Russia, China and India to prevent any of these from venturing into new markets beyond their immediate boundaries. The US is even trying to prevent India from getting coal from Australia.

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag
Okay. I will update myself on this. My sources were only vague ones, I think it was some book about Kargil which mentions aggressive maneuvers by a strange supersonic plane on Pakistan's northern border. The prose was using innuendo to suggest that there might have been a Mig 25 Foxbat flying in Tajikistan. Don't remember the book or the author now. So, the latest update on this is that no Indian planes outside India, correct? (except maybe UN missions in Africa)

I agree, America must stay in Afghanistan, I just want them out of Pakistan. They sit there and fly spy planes and ELINT ops against us and wage a 'Chrislamic' crusade against India. It is in Indian interest for America to have an extended stay in Afghanistan. We should even offer them the Chabahar port as a supply route to resupply their troops in Afghanistan, as an alternative to the Karachi route. This will further diminish Pakistani utility.

I don't mind China playing a greater role in Asia either, including SCS and especially Philippines, provided we can arrive at a mutual understanding for China to stay out of Arunachal and Nepal and Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. It's better that China gets involved than the US.
Mig 25 flew over Pakistan, but mostly it would have been from Adampur or any one of the other close Airfield. ( I as a kid used to see Mig 25, Mig 29, Mig 23 flying over Himalyan foothills, during summer vacations and was a rare sight to see) We have some token Naval presence in Mauritius. However, A&N is the farthest point from Indian mainland, where IAF have stationed its Combat Aircrafts.

Navnit I am more than Happy if, America remains in Pakistan, see whatever shenanigans America does against India, can be easily countered by India, if the GOI wills. The problem is our Govts have been so weak kneed, that Americans can carry out all its activities while being on visa and official tours. But visible American presence in Pakistan, is tearing Pakistan apart. This works in India's favor.

Now why I want China in Afghanistan is simple. Afghanistan will become waterloo for China. It will disrupt Paki-Chini orgies and will also create interesting times for Chinese in Xinjiang.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag

Can any one point out what is the headset used by the operator in that picture? Its being circulated in army website since a long time.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
For Army the only base outside India is in Paro Bhutan near Tibet.Can't say about Air force.

This is one of the rare pic of Indian army base in Bhutan.Some 600 troops are stationed here.

From the diplomat reporter.

thediplomat_2014-11-06_13-20-32.png

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
I believe there is one IMTRAT in Nepal?
Yes, there is IMTRAT in Nepal, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives.

And there is a US and UK team too. UK hires Gorkhas and US has ELINT posts in Nepal. Now that secularism has been added to its constitution, and missionaries are flowing into Nepal in ever greater numbers, Nepal will become another Pakistan on our eastern borders. Maldives and Bangladesh has already been consumed by the religion of peace. IMTRAT has its limitations. It cannot substitute for wholesome strategy and diplomacy. Our influence in our own backyard is eroding fast.

Last edited:

Zulfiqar Khan

In their first mission SSG operatives ended up being Indian POW after being beaten up by Punjabi Villagers who captured them and handed them over to Military.

Paki SSG pow - Look how well built,tall and handsome they are.

View attachment 8389

"It's difficult to see what they could have achieved. What this operation aimed to achieve is difficult to understand."

- IAF Air Chief Marshal P.C.Lal

The Pakistani Army’s special forces were raised as the Special Service Group (SSG) in 1956 using the cadre of 19 (Para) Baloch. This special force was trained in sobotage and disruptive activities behind enemy lines.

On the night of 6th September, around 200 officers and men of the SSG were air-dropped by C-130s near the Indian airbases of Adampur, Pathankot and Halwara on a bold mission to destroy Indian combat aircraft and put the bases out of action. They would then ex-filtrate back to Pakistan, following the numerous rivulets and streams that flow from Punjab back to their home territory.

Pathankot

It was wee hours of the morning when para-troopers landed at Pathankot. The pitch darkness and difficult terrain (it was criss-crossed by canals, streams and the fields were full of water) prevented them from regrouping. Most of them, including their Commander, Major Khalid Butt were arrested by the Police and the Army within the next 2 days.

Adampur

This group too faced the same fate as the Pathankot team - unable to assemble, they tried to hide in the cornfields during the day. However, the farmers formed mobs and captured them, and some were even killed by the Punjabis. Their Commander, Capt Durrani was also taken POW.

Halwara

Some of the men landed within the airfield perimeter itself and were soon rounded up. However the detachment commander, Major Hazur Hasnain, and one of his men managed to get away in a captured Jeep.

It is clear that troops possesed little knowledge of the terrain and were dropped in too large a number to be effective. The final analysis evealed that more than 180 commandos were dropped out of which 136 were taken prisoners, 22 were killed in encounters with the army, police or the civilians and 22-15 managed to escape to Pakistan. Considering the fact that Pathankot is barely 10 miles from the IB, this number is'nt too much of an achievement.

Further Reading

http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/1965-ssg1.html
Bhai, that operation was a tactical defeat; it was 51 years ago; why are you so excited about it?

Their weapons were detached and most of them were unarmed. Why do you guys chest thump and jump up and down over things that happened decades ago?

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Bhai, that operation was a tactical defeat; it was 51 years ago; why are you so excited about it?

Their weapons were detached and most of them were unarmed. Why do you guys chest thump and jump up and down over things that happened decades ago?
What exactly do you do then? You people do the same chest thumping about Alam khan. It's good to get a cheer by reminding an old victory.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Bornubus

So what happened in later conflicts ?

Ever heard of SSG Sub Attaullah Muhammad, Capt Muhammad Iqbal and several other SSG operatives who failed against our regular infantry.

Zulfiqar Khan

@Navnit Kundu

America must stay in Afghanistan. If Afghanistan flushes down into Pakistan, I am afraid, we will see much more attacks in India with more explicit American approval. America needs Pakistani love in Afghanistan. And Pakistanis need tough love of America. Right now American Public opinion is against Pakistan and increasingly questioning American unhealthy obsession with Pakistan. Granted, that State Dept + Pentagon rough-shods any such American public sentiment, in favor of maintaining 'balance' in Indian subcontinent. However, if the stay of American forces had extended, Pakis would have become desperate and would have acted more foolishly against Americans, making increasingly difficult for Americans to cover/ignore Pakistani misdeeds.

Frankly if America is out, I want China to put her boots in Afghanistan. Now that would be more interesting.
Pakistan has already cleared NWFP and the Northern Areas; we are in a process of building walls and fences to keep further terrorists out.

The remaining terrorists that fled into Afghanistan are being hunted down. Pakistan is launching surgical strikes into Afghanistan; sadly Afghanistan are defending these terrorists which have been resulting in huge skirmishes; Raheel Sharif has made it clear that he does not care about what Afghanistan thinks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan–Pakistan_skirmishes

Around several hundred SSG are secretly active in Afghanistan.

"12 January 2012 - Pakistani Special Forces Troops from elite Special Services Group entered 4 to 5 km deep inside Afghan borders from lower dir area in pursuit of militants. Afghan Forces opened fire in retaliation, 11 Afghan Soldiers were killed in the exchange of fire. Pakistan immediately withdrew without any casualties. Afghanistan also blamed SSG Commandos for taking away the body of a killed Afghan ANA Major."

It has come to a point where ANA no longer offers any resistance; although they still fire rockets to cover fleeing terrorists.

Just lately; Afghanistan sent dozens of tanks to stop the fencing of the Torkham Border.

Zulfiqar Khan

So what happened in later conflicts ?

Ever heard of SSG Sub Attaullah Muhammad, Capt Muhammad Iqbal and several other SSG operatives who failed against our regular infantry.
"SSG Sub Attaullah Muhammad" never existed; where are you pulling these stories out of?

Captain Muhammad Iqbal was climbing a peak and kept moving on despite several gun wounds; when he reached the peak he bled out - he died a soldier; nothing wrong with that. He has made our country proud.

Bornubus

"SSG Sub Attaullah Muhammad" never existed; where are you pulling these stories out of?

Captain Muhammad Iqbal was climbing a peak and kept moving on despite several gun wounds; when he reached the peak he bled out - he died a soldier; nothing wrong with that. He has made our country proud.
Why do you pakis feel ashamed to own your Martyrs ?

Sub Atta 3rd Btn SSG was in charge of Qaid Post in Siachen, he was killed alone with 8 SSG operatives by the team of Jak Li which captured their post.

At 21,000 ft, the post now known as Bana post.We return their bodies in a flag meeting.

Do you want me to give you by providing your own Paki army source ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles