BrahMos Cruise Missile

Defcon 1

Country flag
Re: New Brahmos Missile range 500kms

US is currently developing 2 new cruise missiles for anti-ship role. One is subsonic with an estimated range that exceeds 1000Km and will also have a secondary land attack capability, called the LRASM-A. The second is a Brahmos type missile with RAMJET and supersonic speed with an unknown range called the LRASM-B. I think we can assume it is in the P-700 category, ie twice the range and payload as the Brahmos.
I don't understand the relation of this post with what I said. Anyways, It looks like a fake news to me too. More so since it originated from a Russian source.

Defcon 1

Country flag

You misunderstood my point, India have a full fledged defense Industry which have ability to make such Missiles, As this program is JV, PJ-10 get this capability as naturally..

Indian link is already posted in this thread..
I did not find any indian link. Will you be kind enough to redirect me to the proper link? Thanks in advance.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

My bad, all are Russian links.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

India modifies Brahmos missile with new navigation system

The integration of the navigation systems from Kh-555 will turn BrahMos, a supersonic cruise missile, into a "super-rocket" with almost a sub-strategic capability above its normal tactical range, capable of hitting targets over 300-500 km, from sea, land and air launchers, and capable of being armed with a nuclear warhead, the source said.
India modifies Brahmos missile with new navigation system - India - DNA
http://news.in.msn.com/national/india-modifies-brahmos-missile-with-new-navigation-system

Defcon 1

Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

I hope so..

Though doubt there will be any clear official statement now but in times to come..

Come on man, this news itself references the russian source. There is no independent verification. We need an "actual" Indian source before anything can be confirmed.

Country flag

Your premise is flawed. NATO has allies like Australia, SK, Canada who don't have such missiles even though they have good relations with the US.

All in all, I believe the mods should have waited for an Indian source to cover this news as well before starting a new thread on this.
Many of the nations you mentioned do not need the missiles because they are under
USA's nuclear umbrella.

Nuclear umbrella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nuclear umbrella refers to a guarantee by a nuclear weapons state to defend a non-nuclear allied state. It is usually used for the security alliances of the United States with Japan[1], South Korea[2], the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (much of Europe, Turkey, Canada), and Australia, originating with the Cold War with the Soviet Union.

Country flag

MTCR was made to stop proliferation of nuclear capable weapons. S300 is not nuclear capable.
Does not matter what about exporting a plane that can go beyond 300km to deliver a
nuclear weapon? There are many loopholes -submarines, UAV's etc... Why should we
care anyway we are not a signatory?

p2prada

I don't understand the relation of this post with what I said.
In order to point out that other NATO countries may benefit from this new LRASM-B as a Brahmos equivalent.

Bheeshma

There is no brahmos equivalent and by the time LRASM-whatever comes hypersonic brahmos will be setting everyone's asses on fire.

p2prada

Yeah. There is no Brahmos equivalent right now in the west. The Americans are working on it now. The west did not consider the advantages of supersonic missiles to be good enough at the cost they come in. Now it would seem they may go in for a mix. Anyway this is a DARPA project and the Navy needs to be involved to make it work. Ultimately they may stick to subsonic missiles like before due to a much superior stealth capability.

There are two hypersonic missile programs from what we know. One in India and another in Russia. The Indian version will be limited by MTCR with a 290Km range. The Russian one will have 1500 Km range.

karanchandra

I m new to this forum..

how do u guys know so much about missiles?

I am amazed

drkrn

I m new to this forum..

I am amazed
welcome to dfi karan..:namaste:
there were many defense professionals and real soldiers who worked with armed forces in this site.that's why they share so much
stay for few months you too will learn a lot

Defcon 1

Country flag

Does not matter what about exporting a plane that can go beyond 300km to deliver a
nuclear weapon? There are many loopholes -submarines, UAV's etc... Why should we
care anyway we are not a signatory?
Its not about us, Russia is a signatory to MTCR, so they can't export the equipment.

Defcon 1

Country flag

I m new to this forum..

I am amazed
Hi karan, in reality its not so difficult. You just need to read a lot. Even reading this thread will increase your knowledge a lot. Google the stuff you don't understand. If further doubts persist, ask questions on proper threads. In a few days, you will as good as any of the members.

ice berg

Yeah. There is no Brahmos equivalent right now in the west. The Americans are working on it now. The west did not consider the advantages of supersonic missiles to be good enough at the cost they come in. Now it would seem they may go in for a mix. Anyway this is a DARPA project and the Navy needs to be involved to make it work. Ultimately they may stick to subsonic missiles like before due to a much superior stealth capability.

There are two hypersonic missile programs from what we know. One in India and another in Russia. The Indian version will be limited by MTCR with a 290Km range. The Russian one will have 1500 Km range.
As someone has already pointed out. The west is going for hypersonic missiles. Obviously they have the means to have supersonic missiles. A major difference between supersonic and hypersonic.

There are quite a few countries doing hypersonic researches:

Despite the August 14 failure, the race for hypersonic cruise vehicle (HCV) capability between the US, China, and Russia is still on, with India piggybacking on Russian effor.For a number of years now, the three countries have made major advances in the development of air vehicles that can be maneuvered at speeds beyond Mach 5 (6,125kph).
For their part the Chinese have reportedly showed significant interest in HCV technology, with research and development work occurring at a number of centers, including the Qian Xuesen National Engineering Science Experiment Base in Beijing's Huairou district. News emerged in 2007 — three years after the launch of the X-51A program — that Chinese scientists were planning to test scramjet models capable of reaching Mach 5.6 speed at a new wind tunnel in Beijing. According to Chinese media earlier this year, Chinese scientists may also have built a wind tunnel capable of testing supersonic devices at Mach 9.

Russia, China, and America's Hypersonic Missile Race - Flashpoints

What I dont understand is why India dont work with Russians on this. Same way as Brahmos. Surely it is better to have one instead of two programs.

p2prada

As someone has already pointed out. The west is going for hypersonic missiles. Obviously they have the means to have supersonic missiles. A major difference between supersonic and hypersonic.
Does not look like it,
DSEi 2011 - Perseus: MBDA's missile of the future?

Perseus to be developed over 15 to 20 years. 300Km range, 200Kg warhead, Mach 3, same as Brahmos.

Long Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM)
Designs for LRASM-B focused on operating at the other end of the spectrum for precision strike weapons—high-altitude and supersonic speed over stealthy penetration.
So, both the British and the Americans are planning on supersonic cruise missiles.

What I dont understand is why India dont work with Russians on this. Same way as Brahmos. Surely it is better to have one instead of two programs.
We have two programs. One is the hypersonic Brahmos, the other is DRDO's HSTDV which is a tech demonstrator.

Under Brahmos there may be two variants, one as a hypersonic cruise missile with 290Km range and another as a UCAV that can deliver it's warhead at hypersonic speeds and return to base. The UCAV variant may happen at a later date though.

Outside of Russia (and to India's advantage) nobody seems to be planning a hypersonic aircraft or missile for military application in the near future. Chinese plans, I don't know. I won't expect it to beat the Brahmos II timeframe though, let alone the Russian hypersonic missile program.

p2prada

There is a chance the Brahmos II UCAV and missile versions may be one and the same.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles