Sachin Tendulkar sells his Ferrari to Surat businessman

Parthy

Air Warrior
The '360 Modena Ferrari', which once occupied pride of place in batting icon Sachin Tendulkar's fleet of premium cars, is now a prized possession of a city businessman.

Jayesh Desai, Chairman of Raj Hans group, said he purchased the car a fortnight ago.

"I have bought the 360 Modena Ferrari car directly from Sachin Tendulkar with all legal documents," Desai said, but declined to reveal the price.

"It was my dream to drive a Ferrari and now my dream has come true," Desai, who has a passion for driving luxury cars, said.

The Ferrari, which was presented to Tendulkar by racing legend Michael Schumacher, will be the first racing car in his fleet of luxury vehicles, Desai said, adding that his latest acquisition was a prized possession as it was owned by the batting great.

"Kindly ask me only about the car and nothing about Sachin," he said when asked if he and Tendulkar were friends or had known each other.

The Ferrari had got mired in a controversy in 2003 after it was reported that Tendulkar had requested for a customs duty waiver despite getting it as a gift and not winning it as a prize in a tournament.

In August 2003, the finance ministry had exempted Tendulkar from paying around Rs 1.13 crore (approximately $245,000) towards import duty for the vehicle, valued at Rs 75 lakh (approximately $162,600).

The car was gifted to him by FIAT, which manufactures the premium Ferrari cars and endorsed by Tendulkar, after the Indian batting legend equalled Don Bradman's tally of 29 Test centuries.

Ferrari's Formula One driver Schumacher presented the car on behalf of the company to Tendulkar when the two met in 2002 at Silverstone, England.

Tendulkar has taken a break from cricket after playing in IPL and is away on a vacation in England with family.

Sachin Tendulkar sells his Ferrari to Surat businessman - The Times of India

sob

Mod
Country flag
Wow the maestro will have to pay a huge tax on this.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You know something is wrong when import cost is higher than cost of vehicle itself.

Just today in autocar magazine i was reading porsche vs bmw review where both have released cheapest cars in there history. the price for porsche when converted from pounds to rupees came to 8.8 lakhs. Person driving porsche in uk will have more aukaad than person here who slogs his ass of and will only get c segment car like verna for the same price :mad2:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Wow the maestro will have to pay a huge tax on this.
He got the car ages back. Customs issue I think was settled back then. He does not have to pay any tax.

What I can't understand is why he sold his prized possession? What made him do so? I don't think it was for money.

Solid Beast

Sachin needs money? Who sells a classic Ferrari given to him by an F1 legend?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sachin needs money? Who sells a classic Ferrari given to him by an F1 legend?
Exactly it can't be for money. He can sneeze out a couple of crores. So it surely is not for money. It was a gift. Nobody will sell a precious gift that too given by someone you are a fan of. Sachin is a fan of Schumi. Putting in a CT, was it under pressure? Extortion?

sob

Mod
Country flag
He got the car ages back. Customs issue I think was settled back then. He does not have to pay any tax.

What I can't understand is why he sold his prized possession? What made him do so? I don't think it was for money.
If he got paid for selling the car and originally it was a gift (0value) then he has to pay the capital gains tax on it.

Knowing Sachin he must have sold it for some charity and he is keeping mum as he would like it to be an anonymous donation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is for money.

Sachin is not known for philanthropy with his own hard earned money.

Yes, he will sign a bat and then give it for auction and so on.

He is a great cricketer, but he has shown all instinct of survival and desire for more.

Yusuf,

When has Sachin ever 'sneezed' out his crores.

I believe he rents out his cars and his brother is the head of that business.

It is also good business sense to sell out old cars.

A Ferrari is a guzzler and knowing him to be the tightwad that he is, I am sure he has calculated the running cost for this Ferrari on petrol, insurance, and so on, road tax and maintenance and realised it that it is not worth draining his fortunes on an old car!

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
If someone does good business with ethics and create jobs and dont exploit anyone, that is best form of philanthrophy. BTW, some part of his philanthropic aid you can find in 100 kg gold of Sai Baba. Sachin is a great fan of him. :D

sandeepdg

Still, I wouldn't have sold such a prized possession had I been in Sachin's place ! It was such a special prize by a legendary man on a legendary occasion, money has got nothing to do with it !

sandeepdg

You know something is wrong when import cost is higher than cost of vehicle itself.

Just today in autocar magazine i was reading porsche vs bmw review where both have released cheapest cars in there history. the price for porsche when converted from pounds to rupees came to 8.8 lakhs. Person driving porsche in uk will have more aukaad than person here who slogs his ass of and will only get c segment car like verna for the same price :mad2:
A Porsche for 8.8 lakhs !!! Which model is that, please shed some more light on this, mate.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
what good is a donation if people go around the town with hammer and tong claiming all those donations, which then is no more than a publicity stunt and certainly not a donation. i dont know sachin personally for one, but he certainly doesn't comes across the types who gets into such publicity stunts to catch our imaginations of how great a person he is, and so quite likely if he is making donations from his personal earning, he more or less likes to keep it a private affair than unnamed sources doing the talk for him in media.

Blackwater

well what is so much Fusss. It's his car, he sell to Bush or Mohd Gadafi or to Musharaf, its none of our business.. are we so vella

gogbot

Well i don't see whats so difficult to believe .

Clearly Sachin was made an offer to sell his car for $$$ , normally he not have sold.
but this offer seemed too good so he took it.

Who knows maybe he will use money to get a new ferrari :)

ganesh177

Country flag
Govt gave him exemption from tax or customs i guess back then when he got the possession of car. But now if he wants to make a deal out of his car then i think he shud be made to pay the tax again.

Mind you i am huge fan of sachin, but i think rule of law shud be fairly applied on him as well.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If someone does good business with ethics and create jobs and dont exploit anyone, that is best form of philanthrophy. BTW, some part of his philanthropic aid you can find in 100 kg gold of Sai Baba. Sachin is a great fan of him. :D
Sachin does good business with ethics?

He creates jobs?

In fact, the Godmen should come under the scanner as should such acclaimed people and their legacy like Mother Teresa and the Saudi money through hawala to the madrassas.

Religion and quasi religion is the best way to avoid the IT scanner!

I am reminded of Satyajit Ray's film where some Godman fooled the people.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Govt gave him exemption from tax or customs i guess back then when he got the possession of car. But now if he wants to make a deal out of his car then i think he shud be made to pay the tax again.

Mind you i am huge fan of sachin, but i think rule of law shud be fairly applied on him as well.
Govt gave him exemption but why?

I think there was this huge controversy over that and he escaped.

I like Sachin's cricket, but I cannot stand his miserly attitude or hoaxing the people with so called charity like auctioning a bat duly signed. I would call that a magnanimous act, but not a charitable act.

Salman Khan is a better person, he shares his hard earned wealth with the poor!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No the govt did not waive duty for him. Fiat paid for it, 120% on the value of the car which was the prevailing duty on imported cars.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We cannot comment on Sachins charity work if we don't know about it. Most such work is done silently and no one goes to town talking about it. So it would not be fair to Sachin if we passed all sorts of judgement on him without knowing what he does.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles