New wifi modem (if required plus router/repeater) with good range

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Hi Friends

currently resides at home i have mtnl`s broadband connection with adsl modem provided with them.My pc is connected to modem through ethernet wire and its old modem and doesnot have wifi capacity.Now issue is this.

My pc is kept in an wooden cabinet so probably new wifi modem would be kept at same location.

i want to have wifi connection at in a room which is 2 blocks away from current room.

for eg A (ME) | B | C | D (Need wireless here)(One apartment/house) .A minimum of three concrete walls + other obstacles.

May be point D is 20 to 30 m away.

Would it be possible for me to use wifi service in D block on laptop and other devices probably mobiles.

Would only wifi modem suffice or i have to use modem plus router and any other devices

If yes which company i should go for (with model name /no) Or not then suggest me an alternative solution.

Also i have to use my new wifi modem with my old pc which can only have wired connection.

Regards
Anoop

sydsnyper

Country flag
What gave you the bright idea that this is an agony aunt forum for techie question... ???

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I use TP Link and it is working quite well.

TP Link has two versions. One with one antenna and the better one with two antennas.

TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless Router
Rs. 900.00
Amazon.in

Details
150Mbps wireless data rates ideal for video streaming, online gaming and internet calling
IP based bandwidth control allows administrators to determine how much bandwidth is allotted to each PC
Wireless security encryption easily at a push of QSS button
WDS wireless bridge provides seamless bridging to expand your wireless network
Seamlessly compatible with 802.11b/g/n devices

May check
http://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WR740N-Wireless-Router/dp/B002WBX7TQ?tag=googinhydr18418-21

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What gave you the bright idea that this is an agony aunt forum for techie question... ???
Computers and networks and routers is an agony for many and so they want help from those who know.

I am quite computer illiterate and hence I too ask technical questions to solve my Agony. :)

right now, these days my computer crashes suddenly and then goes into some 'dumping' or whatever.

Drives me crazy and the computer chap who I pay to set things right is just not ready to attend!

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
It seems you want to use a single internet connection for two flats.

If this is the case try the Wifi router if the signals is weak then use a repeater in of the flats.

Hi Friends

currently resides at home i have mtnl`s broadband connection with adsl modem provided with them.My pc is connected to modem through ethernet wire and its old modem and doesnot have wifi capacity.Now issue is this.

My pc is kept in an wooden cabinet so probably new wifi modem would be kept at same location.

i want to have wifi connection at in a room which is 2 blocks away from current room.

for eg A (ME) | B | C | D (Need wireless here)(One apartment/house) .A minimum of three concrete walls + other obstacles.

May be point D is 20 to 30 m away.

Would it be possible for me to use wifi service in D block on laptop and other devices probably mobiles.

Would only wifi modem suffice or i have to use modem plus router and any other devices

If yes which company i should go for (with model name /no) Or not then suggest me an alternative solution.

Also i have to use my new wifi modem with my old pc which can only have wired connection.

Regards
Anoop

anoop_mig25

Country flag
I think WiFi repeater or range extender can be used if signal is poor.

You can buy repeater from market directly, alternatively this article might help.

Use a spare router as a Wi-Fi extender - PC Advisor
It seems you want to use a single internet connection for two flats.

If this is the case try the Wifi router if the signals is weak then use a repeater in of the flats.

does i have to buy new wifi modem itself and other device like repeater or

i buy onlt new wifi router which can be coupled to my existing old modem

Can u suggest some products

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
Computers and networks and routers is an agony for many and so they want help from those who know.

I am quite computer illiterate and hence I too ask technical questions to solve my Agony. :)

right now, these days my computer crashes suddenly and then goes into some 'dumping' or whatever.

Drives me crazy and the computer chap who I pay to set things right is just not ready to attend!

May be problem with OS

Reactions: Ray

Srinivas_K

Country flag
does i have to buy new wifi modem itself and other device like repeater or

i buy onlt new wifi router which can be coupled to my existing old modem

Can u suggest some products
If your current modem is having wifi facility then check the strength of the signal.

If your modem is not having wifi facility , I suggest you to buy a new mdem with wifi and check the strength of the signal, there are 2.4 GHz modem and 5 GHz modems.

2.4 GHz modems cover large area that 5 GHz.

If the new wifi mdem do not give the desired signal strength then buy a repeater.

Ask the vendor for powerful wifi modem before buying and let him know your requirements.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
If your current modem is having wifi facility then check the strength of the signal.

If your modem is not having wifi facility , I suggest you to buy a new mdem with wifi and check the strength of the signal, there are 2.4 GHz modem and 5 GHz modems.

2.4 GHz modems cover large area that 5 GHz.

If the new wifi mdem do not give the desired signal strength then buy a repeater.

Ask the vendor for powerful wifi modem before buying and let him know your requirements.

ok got

but know i got one confusion what is modem ??? some thing on net which i got is "the MODEM is the device that allows you to connect to the internet and it's usually a DSL or Cable version."

is it really a wire ????

then what is in box which mtnl people have provided to me ?????

combination of modem plus router or gust modem

And yes my modem does not have wifi capacity

Srinivas_K

Country flag

Mr@Ray it seems to me some issue with your OS, or pc is getting over heated.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mr@Ray it seems to me some issue with your OS, or pc is getting over heated.
My OS is licenced and I use a four fan heat dissipation system.

Thanks anyway.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir Ray ,check if some hardware is properly inserted.

HDD cable, Ram .
Thanks.

I do have an issue where a pop up comes up stating 'USB not recognised' when I attach the Seagate 1 TB Expansion Portable Drive or the Belkin USB Hub. Even then all items function, though for the Expansion Drive another pop up comes that wants me to Format the Expansion Drive. I cancel that pop up since if I format, I will lose all the data.

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
It depends where you have inserted your external device

Front or Back ?

shows USB not recognized check in back side of USB ports .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles