President nod to blanket ban on cow slaughter in Maharashtra

Vishwarupa

Country flag
The slaughter of cows, bulls, bullocks and calves, is now completely banned in Maharashtra under the Maharashtra Animal Preservation (amendment) Act (MAPA), 1995, which received President Pranab Mukherjee's nod on Monday.

There is already a blanket ban in the state on the slaughter of cows. The amended Act puts a blanket ban on the slaughter of bulls, bullocks and calves, too. However, the slaughter of female buffaloes and buffalo calves can continue, but only with the permission of relevant authorities.

Under the amended act, the crime of slaughtering the animals covered under the ban will be non-bailable and the punishment will be five years in prison, upped from the earlier six months. The fine, too, has been hiked to Rs 10,000 from the current Rs 1,000.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/popup/2015/3/nod_after_19yrs.jpg

The slaughter of cows is banned under schedule 5 of the Act passed in 1976. Schedule 6 of the Act, however, allowed the slaughter of bulls and bullocks, female buffaloes and buffalo calves with permission. The amendment now puts bulls, bullocks and calves under schedule 5 of the Act, which means a blanket ban on their slaughter.

"The amendment will come into force once the notification is issued by the state government," said Mahesh Pathak, secretary of the animal husbandry and dairy development department.

The Sena-BJP government in 1995 moved an amendment for the inclusion of bulls, bullocks and calves under schedule 5 of MAPA. After the passage of the bill, it was sent to the Centre for the final nod in 1996.

In a letter sent to the Governor of Maharashtra on Monday, the union ministry of home affairs conveyed the President's assent given on February 26 as per provisions in Article 201 of the Constitution of India. Finance minister Sudhir Mungantiwar, who was instrumental in the passage of the bill, had been pursuing the issue with the Centre for the last two months.

"The agriculture ministry had passed negative remarks after the bill was sent to the Centre in November last year. The agriculture department had pointed at provisions of schedule 6 of the Act claiming that only aged animals were being sent for slaughter. It was only after we convinced the political leadership about the importance of the bill, that the remarks were changed and the bill was sent to the ministry of home affairs," said a BJP leader on the condition of anonymity.

Beef ban in Maharashtra, 5 years jail for slaughter

Simple_Guy

MP goes tough on cow slaughter - The Times of India

Rajasthan, Uttarakhand and Punjab have the toughest anti-cow slaughter laws. The existing Rajasthan law of 1995 was amended in 2004 and a 10-year jail term fixed. Illegal transporters can be put behind bars for five years. Those guilty of causing injury to a cow can be imprisoned for three years.

Likewise, a 1995 Punjab Act provides for a maximum 10-year jail term for cow slaughter or a fine of up to Rs 1,000 or both. The burden of proof, like in MP, is on the accused. In Uttarakhand too, a violator can be imprisoned up to 10 years and fined. It is a non-bailable offence. Illegal transporters can face three years' imprisonment. In Haryana, punishment for a similar crime is a maximum of five years in prison and a fine up to Rs 5,000.

In Himachal, the slaughter of cows and progeny is prohibited since 1979. The law was enacted by the then Janata Party government. Initially silent on transportation of cows for slaughter, the law was amended in 2010. Violators can be punished with up to five years in jail or fined up to Rs 51,000 or both.

Some states in the northeast and those like Kerala and West Bengal allow beef sale and slaughter.

The Dogra Maharajas of Jammu & Kashmir banned cow slaughter in 1896, also disallowing transport and sale of beef. The rulers not only outlawed cow slaughter but also banned the killing of buffalos. The offence attracts a three-year jail term and a fine of Rs 5,000.

An anti-cow slaughter law has been in force in UP since 1955. Enacted by the Congress, the law initially allowed slaughter of old cattle. In 2002, the BJP government amended the Act and imposed a blanket ban. A violator faces a two-year prison term or Rs 1,000 fine or both. It is a cognizable, non-bailable offence. Cow slaughter was banned in Jharkhand in 2005. It attracts five years of rigorous imprisonment or Rs 5,000 fine or both.

The Gujarat assembly amended the Animal Preservation Act, 1954, on September 27 2010 and imposed a seven-year jail term for cow slaughter.

Cow slaughter is banned in the National Capital Territory under the Delhi Agriculture Cattle Prevention Act, 1994. Export, import and sale of beef are illegal. Transportation of cattle for slaughter is banned and those found in possession of beef are liable to be punished. Violators can be imprisoned up to five years and fined up to Rs 10,000.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Even though i am against the slaughtering of cows, i would like to ponder upon other side of the issues.

What are the disadvantage of Cow slaughtering?

Are lower section of the society effected by this? are they only depended on beef meat for nutrition?
What will or should a low income farmer do with bulls & old cows?

Vishwarupa

Country flag
It is what irks me.Better alternative should be open pork shops near mosque&ghettos than ban beef.
I have already clarified that i am against killing of cows.

I also wanted to know the views from different prespectives.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Even though i am against the slaughtering of cows, i would like to ponder upon other side of the issues.

What are the disadvantage of Cow slaughtering?

Are lower section of the society effected by this? are they only depended on beef meat for nutrition?

What will or should a low income farmer do with bulls & old cows?
Nutrition my foot.

It's such a idiotic myth that meat provides "nutrition" which veg can't provide.Due to this false propaganda even lot of ignorants who were veg started eating meat on false pretext.

Veg food has all what it takes to "Nutrition" which is much cheaper than meat.Except "taste" and "fondness" there is nothing much different in meat.

On topic... it's a good move.We should ban or reduce slaughter of Cows/Buffs just for meat.When the Western world is gradually moving towards veg and vegan we people are becoming more and more non-veg and that too on false pretexts.Also Cows/Buffs are holy in our land.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Good move. The state of nationalists like savarkar was without anti-cow slaughter act is shocking!!!!!!

Khagesh

Great move. First step towards winding up the Pink revolution. This and the citizenship to refugees from Pakistan shows they mean business.

My ultimate wishlist is for the end to the FCRA funding aka bribes to NGO tamashbeen culture and an end to German language option.

Congressis were ultimate slaves.

Illusive

Country flag
I can understand cow slaughter ban, but whats with bull and buffalo ban. Cultural sensitivity is cow slaughter not bull or buffalo.

Khagesh

It is what irks me.Better alternative should be open pork shops near mosque&ghettos than ban beef.
While good for a one off laugh but no that is stupid. Our job is to stand for ourselves not to force people into trouble. If however while on our way, somebody tries to create trouble then he must be responded too, properly.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
While good for a one off laugh but no that is stupid. Our job is to stand for ourselves not to force people into trouble. If however while on our way, somebody tries to create trouble then he must be responded too, properly.
That Gandhi style "Peace Hippies" worked well and resulted in partition.

This "Peace Hippies" :peace: didn't give us much and we are regarded a a soft state.We lost 40% of our original land and population being so peaceful.

We need to make sure that we are not mere pushovers and take signs seriously.

Jatt.Hindustan

Tihar Jail
Banned
That Gandhi style "Peace Hippies" worked well and resulted in partition.

This "Peace Hippies" :peace: didn't give us much and we are regarded a a soft state.We lost 40% of our original land and population being so peaceful.

We need to make sure that we are not mere pushovers and take signs seriously.
Vedas and Gurus say warriors need meat for certain aspects suxh as rajas or rajgun.

Ohysical nutrition I guess veggie can work, it is true many sections of society such as vaish, vaid, oandit should not eat meat.

Why not open pork shop and ban cow slaughter?

Nihangs used to make imams carry the boar they hunted back to their camps

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles