What is the definition of a religion?

SANITY

What is religion? Does it matter, is it necessary to have a religion in modern age?

SANITY

Is it unethical to question people's faiths if it makes little or no sense because the listener might be displeased about speeches speaking of incorrect or lies about specific religions ?

Kshatriya87

Country flag
What is religion? Does it matter, is it necessary to have a religion in modern age?

Religion is phenomenon which dictates a specific set of values, cultures and way of living for the people. It is a way to guide people into helping them live a fruitful and rightful life. Having said that, I am an ex-Hindu Atheist. My Atheism has nothing to do with Hindu practices. In fact, if I am the supreme power, asked if there should be one religion to be followed by the entire world; I would say let it be Hinduism. My Atheism challenges certain different aspects of religion.

Now, religion understandably was a necessity during a time of barbarism and people going out of control doing things they wished to do no matter how cruel. In todays world, most people have learned how they are supposed to live. What are the good things and bad. What will lead them to prosperity and what will lead them to their own destruction. This makes me think that religion is not a necessity in todays world. However, religion does bond a specific set of people to a certain extent.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Is it unethical to question people's faiths if it makes little or no sense because the listener might be displeased about speeches speaking of incorrect or lies about specific religions ?
I have done this plenty of times. I think it is my prerogative to learn more about the concept of religion and hence I do question Christians, muslims and Buddhists etc. However, you should be careful here as some people are sensitive to this topic and can get easily offended. I have faced this myself.

SANITY

Religion is phenomenon which dictates a specific set of values, cultures and way of living for the people. It is a way to guide people into helping them live a fruitful and rightful life.
Is it same for all religions or is different for different people of different faith?

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Is it same for all religions or is different for different people of different faith?
Different and in some religions, similar. For e.g. I believe Christianity was inspired by an Egyptian astronomical book and re-written as a bible to influence the people making it easier to control the masses and making them follow the ruling authority.

Islam came into picture when they saw how millions of people could be easily influenced this way and can be made to follow you. Hence, they wrote the Quran which says that Christianity is Quran's little brother and the true religion is Islam, all other religions are fake. If Quran would have indeed been written by a real god, it would never have said that all other religions and gods are fake and you will be punished if you worship them, hence preaching hatred.

Buddhism is not particularly a religion. It just preaches a set of guidelines on how to live a fruitful life as per Gautam Buddha. (I like it because it tremendously simplifies a religion and concentrated only on the way of living, doesn't teach hatred directly or indirectly.)

Hinduism, was never a religion until a couple of centuries ago. We Indians practised Hindu culture since thousands of years yet never thinking of it as a religion. The concept of our religion and others religion was oblivious to us. Hence love and peace was vastly popular as a way living among Hindus.

pmaitra

Different and in some religions, similar. For e.g. I believe Christianity was inspired by an Egyptian astronomical book and re-written as a bible to influence the people making it easier to control the masses and making them follow the ruling authority.

Islam came into picture when they saw how millions of people could be easily influenced this way and can be made to follow you. Hence, they wrote the Quran which says that Christianity is Quran's little brother and the true religion is Islam, all other religions are fake. If Quran would have indeed been written by a real god, it would never have said that all other religions and gods are fake and you will be punished if you worship them, hence preaching hatred.

Buddhism is not particularly a religion. It just preaches a set of guidelines on how to live a fruitful life as per Gautam Buddha. (I like it because it tremendously simplifies a religion and concentrated only on the way of living, doesn't teach hatred directly or indirectly.)

Hinduism, was never a religion until a couple of centuries ago. We Indians practised Hindu culture since thousands of years yet never thinking of it as a religion. The concept of our religion and others religion was oblivious to us. Hence love and peace was vastly popular as a way living among Hindus.
Regarding the emboldened part, can you please share a link? I am interested in reading more about it.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Regarding the emboldened part, can you please share a link? I am interested in reading more about it.

Yes sir. I didn't find the literature but a film based on this. It starts as a documentary and ends up as a conspiracy theory about the US government. However, I did cross check the initial remarks about Christianity and found them to be in sync. Here's the link;

Zeitgeist: The Movie (2007) - YouTube

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I have an open mind and I always enjoy alternative explanations. I will watch it. :thumb:
The Zeitgeist documentary is pretty good. I watched it long ago in first year of college, I think. There are 3 parts, that video above maybe all 3 in 1.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
As important as the belief in Santa Claus.

It matters to many and it matters not to many.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
The same question bothered me during 9th standard,is really GOD exists&how. So only choice is check sacred books like Bible,koran&geeta and their gods

Then i started reading those books after that i realized these books contain FULL of FAKE STORIES&LIES.In these books one Book contain not only Fake STORIES&LIES but also DANGEROUS to HUMANS,i don't know why govt's around the world allows it :shocked:
Spirituality exists and There is some phenomena out there in this universe which is dictating the events that are occurring in this universe.

That Phenomena in Vedas is called as Brahman , lets say it as GOD and Depicting Brahmaan as a human is for people to understand.

In Quran they also say GOD has no form, no shape or gender which is also the true.

In Bible they say GOD as father and also believe that GOD has created humans in his Image. Since most of the man kind fear the Nature,also worry about the future and consider them selves inferior infront of nature.

Projecting GOD as merciful and father is nice way to give strength to humans to lead their life.

Coming to Dharmic religions and Vedas.

The philosophy ( I call it philosophy since there is no scientific proof or facts yet to assert these claims) here is that Brahmaan, the cosmic spirit will guide a spirit (Atman) to enter into physical bodies and make journey.

The brain and the senses are just means through which we experience this world, the one that is guiding these senses is Atman, which is indestructible and pure . Every living being has it.

Based on the Karma one does in this life the next life will be decided. The journey starts from lower level beings onto higher level beings like Humans, through Reincarnations( That is cycle of rebirth and death)

The Ultimate aim of the Atman is to attain Moksha, that is no rebirth but absorbed into Brahmaan, the GOD.

Dharmic Philosophy says, The physical form (our body) which Atman is guiding (the consciousness in scientific terms) is like a prison for it, Atman always tries to ascend towards Brahmaan.

Now that the concept of Brahmaan and Atman is clear (I hope).

There are various ways to attain moksha, through Good Karma, Meditation and all.

The drawback of this thinking is that Dharmic philosophy seems encouraging humans to give up on life and search for Moksha, But Sanathana Dharma says a Human should fulfill his family duties through Good Karma first and then meditate to attain Moksha at the end of human life cycle.

I have an example for you which will make you think about this concept ( this is one of the great concepts India has given to world)

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3YoE8HEz2A[/video]

This guy Rambomjan, is considered as the highly evolved being according to Dharmic philosophy . At the age of 15 he is into meditation and is trying to attain Moksha just like Budhha did.

He has meditated infront of people for almost an year with out taking food or water. Which is common in Himalayan region where people meditate longer periods.

The Atman which is guiding Rambomjan knows it is closer to Brahmaan and is compelling him to meditate if we talk in the terms of Vedas.

This guy do not come under GOD but his consciousness is telling him that he is close to Moksha and so meditate. Another example is Sai Baba. He also did the meditation to attain Moksha when he is child.

When asked if he is Buddha, Rambomhjan replied that Bhudda attained Moksha and is integrated with Brahmaan, He is also planning to do that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above explanation of spirituality is from Vedas.

But there is one more guy called Shankaracharya who revolutionized the concept of Brahmaan and Atman and got rid of duality in Vedic Philosophy, proposed his Advaitha philosophy

Duality in the sense the Brahmaan and Consciousness of living beings.

Vedas consider both are different and GOD is superior to Atman.

But Shakaracharya proposed that the Brahmaan is the thing which has multiplied and formed Atmans , the identity of Atman and Brahmaan are the same.

It is GOD who is rejoicing as a winner , it is GOD who is laughing and It is GOD who is weeping in pain.

And it is GOD who is taking the multiplied Atmans after Moksha and integrating them into Him.

The answer for the question, Why GOD is doing all this is a simple "I don't know" from Ram Krishna Paramahamsa and Swami Vivenkananda"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we study this concept through todays science.

There is a theory called "String theory" which is becoming popular.

Actually this is considered as Philosophy since there are no proofs until now.

According to this theory the whole world is made of strings which are vibrating in 11 Dimensions.

And there is some thing which is guiding these strings to vibrate to form life, planets and other physical forms. We can say this as Brahmaan.

The CERN particle smasher is doing its research in this direction to find the GOD particle, that is a particle with which the whole universe including the life forms are made off. Lets hope they find this may be a particle or a string energy(vibrating).

Then there are experiments that are being done on fifth dimension, its existence, which will enable to travel back and forth in time.

Lets hope they find clues and also lets hope India also comes up with own CERN :thumb:

As science finds more and more proofs in this direction the more and more of philosophy will be replaced by science. :thumb:

Last edited:

SANITY

As important as the belief in Santa Claus.

It matters to many and it matters not to many.
But should this be relevant in modern society? Should people move on and be more scientific now or should it stay with us and shared with next generation just because they don't want to disbelieve in something they have been listening from their ancestors for a long time? Do you think it is beneficial for human society's development to only think as far as religions allow them to?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
But should this be relevant in modern society? Should people move on and be more scientific now or should it stay with us and shared with next generation just because they don't want to disbelieve in something they have been listening from their ancestors for a long time? Do you think it is beneficial for human society's development to only think as far as religions allow them to?
It is a matter of faith.

Ask yourself, are you an Indian?

Is nationality an important aspect of existence or being a free citizen of the world and doing what one wants and wherever one wants?

Why do the Chinese want all people in China to become Han?

They do it through what is called Sincisation. They have done it through history and now are doing so in Tibet and Xinjiang.

Mindsets bely reality and logic.

SANITY

Also what is or should be criteria of considering someone as a religious person and what his religion? The religion they usually speak of or the way they act.

For instance: In case of Islam, should the person who acts according to Quran called muslim or all the people who take birth in muslim family even if they don't read or practice it.

another example: there are different versions of Quran followed somewhat differently by different community of Islam but usually when we speak muslim, we sum them all as one kind.

Q: Those people who have been forcefully converted, brainwashed, manipulated or born in some muslim family but has no belief in it, but doesn't tell his opinion due to fear, are these people supposed to be considered Actual muslims? What about non muslims in muslims nations who identify as muslims because of threat in those nations?

Also the people who convert to Islam without believing in Islam, just lured by certain prohibited acts allowed in Islam which prohibited in most other socities like having many wives at once, temporary marriage which would actually be more like prostitution in civilised society, authority of men over women etc. Are those supposed to be counted as Islamist or muslims?

Last edited:

pmaitra

I have managed to see a portion of it.

What an amazing piece of wisdom this, that I saw in the video:

"They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,
rather than truth as authority."

"• Gerald Massey

@Kshatriya87, @Razor, I will certainly see all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kshatriya87

Country flag

"• Gerald Massey

This is exactly the part where I paused the video and read it carefully. Beautiful set of words put together.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

"• Gerald Massey

Well, to be frank I don't remember much of those docus. I just remember that I really liked it when I was finished with it.

And as it turns out that video posted earlier in the thread was of Zeitgeist 1 only. There are two more parts, one of which talks about Fractional Reserve Banking. I may not have understood it back then, maybe I should revise. :hmm:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles