Indians, what do you think about Evolution?

Do you believe in Evolution?

• Total voters

ITBP

Evolution theory which was mainly invented by Darwin, says as nature changes, creatures also need to change themselves, according to this humans ancestors were monkeys.

But Christians say human was created directly by God, so evolution is not right, so pious Christians oppose Evolution.

Now what do Indians think about this?

I personally, accept evolution.

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
I went to Kodaikanal for 3 weeks when i went there i literally was not able to go out at night after 8 it was bone chilling, But as days passed after some 10-12 days till i returned to my native i was roaming out late night some days even when drizzling with friends, but it had relatively less chilling effect on my body.

May be i evolved :p i believe

josan420

Country flag
You probably don't know that bible is changed hundreds of time. there are many statements that are proven false according to science so vatican church made many change in Bible. i live in Italy and our History tacher told about this. origionally Bible say Sun turn around earth, but we all know that it is earth which turn around Sun. So bible is fake. 90% of european youngster are not christian. they don't follow any religion.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I went to Kodaikanal for 3 weeks when i went there i literally was not able to go out at night after 8 it was bone chilling, But as days passed after some 10-12 days till i returned to my native i was roaming out late night some days even when drizzling with friends, but it had relatively less chilling effect on my body.

That is not eveolution; it is Lysenkoism, the great scientific contribution of Soviet Russia..

Lysenkoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if you really want to pursue that subject, a good book to read is "The Case of the Midwife Toad" by Arthur Koestler. I used to give copies to my students.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
^^
erratum: evolution. The little busybody has made it impossible to edit now.

santoshmishra

The level of support for evolution among scientists, the public and other groups is a topic that frequently arises in the creation-evolution controversy and touches on educational, religious, philosophical, scientific and political issues. The subject is primarily contentious in the United States. However, it is also important in other countries where creationists advocate the teaching of creationism as an alternative to evolution, or portray the modern evolutionary synthesis as an inadequate scientific paradigm.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Belief in Evolution? :lol:

"Belief" in evolution has as much impact as your "belief" in Gravity. Its not like your fake gods, who need constant belief and praise and worship. Because, unlike them, it actually exists

Reactions: Kay

Abhijat

Country flag
I like to put up an example of our Purans , and how it is able to depict evolution, both in terms of physical and societal.

Dashavatara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here Avatar means different stages of evolution.

1. First Avatar (Evolution Stage): Matsya i.e in form of Fish. As evolutionary theory believes , that life originated in Oceans .

2. Second Avatar :Kurma i.e Tortoise . Which means in next evolutionary step were species that were able to survive both on land and water.

3. Third Avatar : Varaha i.e Boar , so next species evolution is of animals which were herbivores.

4. Fourth Avatar : Narasimha i.e Carnivores species , up in food chain.

5. Fifth Avatar : Vamana i.e Neanderthals

6. Sixth Avatar : Parashuram , from here avatar depicts evolution of society. So Parashuram was both , Learner and a Warrior, so society was not divided on basis of work.

7. Seventh Avatar: Ram , here society started to evolve into more complex organisation. So to enforce rules and morality , Ram is depicted as God of Virtues who holds high values in eyes of people.

8. Eighth Avatar : Krishna, with further development , some ill will transcends in society. So society needed a clever politician to lead the fight of truth.

These are my interpretation of what all I know about the Purans and knowledge about evolutionary theories.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Evolution theory which was mainly invented by Darwin, says as nature changes, creatures also need to change themselves, according to this humans ancestors were monkeys.
No, they weren't. The theory postulates that humans and apes shared the same ancestor. Big difference.

No, you didn't evolve, your ancestors did. Without the mechanism of homeostasis that was passed down to you through the evolutionary chain that trip to Kodaikanal would have been fatal.

That is not eveolution; it is Lysenkoism, the great scientific contribution of Soviet Russia..

Lysenkoism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And if you really want to pursue that subject, a good book to read is "The Case of the Midwife Toad" by Arthur Koestler. I used to give copies to my students.
Students of what?

tramp

No religion will accept evolution as the method of proliferation of life on the face of earth. Because it gives little scope for the so called 'higher being' to create each life form.
Change in the make up of life forms inflicted by environment is a fact and a mechanism to transmit changes from one generation to next explains the variety of life forms.
Religions cannot accept accept evolution because then they will have explain extinction, which shows the creator has been less than perfect as they claim.

But Christians say human was created directly by God, so evolution is not right, so pious Christians oppose Evolution.

Now what do Indians think about this?

I personally, accept evolution.

Adux

Country flag
Only idiots will believe in religion and their gods

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
No religion will accept evolution as the method of proliferation of life on the face of earth. Because it gives little scope for the so called 'higher being' to create each life form.
Change in the make up of life forms inflicted by environment is a fact and a mechanism to transmit changes from one generation to next explains the variety of life forms.
Religions cannot accept accept evolution because then they will have explain extinction, which shows the creator has been less than perfect as they claim.
Original Buddhist doctrine rejects the presence of any supernatural being(omnipotent/ omniscient/ omnipresent). So theoretically, Buddhist purists should have no trouble accepting the theory of evolution.

fyodor

Country flag
Also most of hindus have no problem with evolution.
Hindus believe that there was no creation ex nihilo or out of nothing. Life is just a cycle. This fits perfectly with evolution which is also an infinite cycle.

ant80

Hindus believe that there was no creation ex nihilo or out of nothing. Life is just a cycle. This fits perfectly with evolution which is also an infinite cycle.
How about the Big Bang then? Evolution is explained in Hinduism, but the Big Bang isn't.

Funny incident guys, when I was very young, and was learning history about BC and AD and prehistory and written/verbal history, I asked my teacher when Ramayana and Mahabharatha had happened. I'd heard the stories from my grandfather, but then when it happened question was completely overlooked. Still haven't gotten a good answer for that question though. I am a Hindu by birth and practice, and a scientist by profession, but just sayin'...

prohumanity

Country flag
Hinduism believes that there is only ONE ultimately. The Creator(god) and the creation (Universe) are in the end the same. Hindu view is that Universe is l part of God...or in other words...God is part of Universe. AHAM BRAHMASMI = I am part of God( I am God).
Hindu concept of God is that GOD is a dancer and that the Universe is the dance of God. You can not separate dancer and the dance....VASUDEV KUTUMBAM= the Universe/World is one family....This is most liberal concept possible ...is one basic tenet of Hinduism. If the world is one family...race, religious belief, ethnicity etc all become irrelevant. Whatever you believe...does not matter....you are still a member of this one big family.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
How about the Big Bang then? Evolution is explained in Hinduism, but the Big Bang isn't.

Funny incident guys, when I was very young, and was learning history about BC and AD and prehistory and written/verbal history, I asked my teacher when Ramayana and Mahabharatha had happened. I'd heard the stories from my grandfather, but then when it happened question was completely overlooked. Still haven't gotten a good answer for that question though. I am a Hindu by birth and practice, and a scientist by profession, but just sayin'...
It appears you haven't done enough research then

A refined version of Big Bang is alluded to in both Sikh and Hindu scriptures.

Ramayana happened in Treta Yuga that would be after 6701 BC
Mahabharata happened in Dwapar Yuga that would be ~ 3101BC onwards

Evolution is also spoken of in some Hindu scriptures but I am not really sure how it pans out. As per one text (forgotten the name) the newer evolved race would be able to regenerate arms, wounds and bluish blood, no idea if its because of evolution or because of scientific advancement ?

===
@ITBP Energon is right. Homo Sapiens are a separate species.

Last edited by a moderator:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Anyone who looks to religious teaching to understand reality is a moron. Religions are synonymous with dogma, hence anyone who relies on dogma to understand the nature of reality will constantly keep hitting the brick wall of advances in human knowledge. What we think we know today, we doubt tomorrow and reject or refine the day after. That is the mentality of scientific pursuit, because the quest for knowledge is endless.......and those who believe they know everything already are doomed to failure.

acetophenol

Country flag
Pardon me if I am wrong bro, evolution is not a cycle,you don't go back to a lower self,you just change your self into a different being,there's no going back,unlike the concept of punarjanma in hinduism.

Eesh

Address it to Hindus, they accept evolution.

Abrahmic dogma does not accept evolution.

Last edited:

Eesh

Buddism and Jainism are silent. So they accept Hindu view ie evolution.

Big Bang. Groan. First it was a bang of singularity of zero. But it was found not capable of BANG. Then they said a small ball exploded. Come on, that is one of Hindu pholsophy. Another, derived from Sharkar's philosophy is more less Steady State. But nothing like creation ex nihilo is rejected by all.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles