'Indian history was distorted by the British'

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
@Armand2REP If you have the slightest iota of interest in history, you can find out for yourself that the above two posts sum it up, precisely.
I know the history as it is written. The thought of what could have been is of interest. Of course Indians will not look positively from a colonialist view, but it is not all negative.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueSpirit

Your original question was invalid as well as condescending, since there were hardly any "city-states" in India when the East India Company began acquiring territory. The individual Indian states were as large and populous as those of Europe, and easily had the potential to become as powerful as them.
@Armand2REP If you have the slightest iota of interest in history, you can find out for yourself that the above two posts sum it up, precisely.
I know the history as it is written. The thought of what could have been is of interest. Of course Indians will not look positively from a colonialist view, but it is not all negative.
Your opinion apart (everyone has one, anyway), honestly speaking, were you actually aware of the information shared by the two posts that I had quoted ?

On a side-note, I do not find your knowledge regarding subcontinent's history much to talk about....although you have some high-level overview of defence sector, here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Your opinion apart (everyone has one, anyway), honestly speaking, were you actually aware of the information shared by the two posts that I had quoted ?

On a side-note, I do not find your knowledge regarding subcontinent's history much to talk about....although you have some high-level overview of defence sector, here.
Did I ever claim to be an expert on subcontinent history? I am not only here for defence but to LEARN about India and pick your brains for perspective. I am not Indian, regardless of what Chicoms say. When people get defencive over simple questions, it shows closed minds. Just because you are taught one history and perspective does not mean it is shared in Europe.

Tronic

Google Books is a hundred time better source than wikipedia and other junk websites. There all Paaki keep writing anti-India bakwaas.

You are too emotional on this subject but it is a fact that Ranjit Singh signed treaty of Amritsar without fighting a battle.
:facepalm:

Treaty of Amritsar was signed after the first Anglo-Sikh war... try again..

As for Google Books.. it's not a source in itself.. if you have a book you'd like to quote, quote it, otherwise I'm inclining towards the fact that you're BSing everything you type..

He had to fight Afhgan on one side and British on other. British were a global power and Afghans were nothing. So Ranjit Singh did the right thinng. Make friends with British and drive out Afghans from India.
Again, more BS.. Ranjit Singh was never friends with the British, nor did the British trust him.. they were always rivals while he lived.. as soon as Maharaja Ranjit Singh died, and a succession crisis broke out in Punjab, the British saw a chance and invaded.. you really need to pick up a history book..

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

Did I ever claim to be an expert on subcontinent history? I am not only here for defence but to LEARN about India and pick your brains for perspective. I am not Indian, regardless of what Chicoms say. When people get defencive over simple questions, it shows closed minds. Just because you are taught one history and perspective does not mean it is shared in Europe.
The original question remains unanswered: were you actually aware of the information shared by the two posts that I had quoted?

Those two posts are not ignorant/defensive opinions that I am stressing upon hard statistics that all European/Western scholars unanimously agree to.

Basic history & geography, you know. Not the arcane stuff that gets debated in other threads in DFI.

Or, is it too much for you to digest for you, given your pre-conceived views about Indian pre-colonial history ?

One free tip: When one wants to LEARN about something or anything at all, it is better if one starts without any baggage (read, biases & half-baked phony notions).

Tronic

The original question remains unanswered: were you actually aware of the information shared by the two posts that I had quoted?

Those two posts are not ignorant/defensive opinions that I am stressing upon hard statistics that all European/Western scholars unanimously agree to.

Basic history & geography, you know. Not the arcane stuff that gets debated in other threads in DFI.

Or, is it too much for you to digest for you, given your pre-conceived views about Indian pre-colonial history ?

One free tip: When one wants to LEARN about something or anything at all, it is better if one starts without any baggage (read, biases & half-baked phony notions).

Why the hatred, bro? Let it go... He's already said he didn't know... We cannot fight ignorance with arrogance.. let it be...

TrueSpirit

Why the hatred, bro? Let it go... He's already said he didn't know... We cannot fight ignorance with arrogance.. let it be...
Not hatred, really. On the contrary, I have learnt a lot from his posts on multiple threads. Also, I have a thing for France :)

Actually, in this thread, our friend started-off on a slightly arrogant note (which was amusing because he wanted to LEARN). If you follow his questions, you would realize what I am alluding to.

Anyway, I have already left it at that.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

You quoted someone being insulted by me using the term city state which there certainly would have been a few if India didn't unite so I didn't pay attention to that. The second post was very interesting facts with India going from 20% of global GDP to 2% and is the most decisive argument to be made of the ill effects of British damage to the Indian economy. However, the counter argument is made that this drop of global GDP % wasn't wholly the fault of UK but industrial revolution hitting Europe first. Everything has to be taken into perspective such as technology and production on a global stage.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
You quoted someone being insulted by me using the term city state which there certainly would have been a few if India didn't unite so I didn't pay attention to that.
Could you name a few of these "city-states" which supposedly existed in, say, 1700? I would like to know about them.

In case you forgot, this is what you wrote:
Do Indians ever appreciate the fact the British united India or would you prefer to be a couple dozen city states?
The question is wrong because, if the British had not united India, we would not be a "couple dozen city states [sic]" but a couple dozen large nation-states. India overall might be a much better place to live than it is now, even without political unity.

Tronic

You quoted someone being insulted by me using the term city state which there certainly would have been a few if India didn't unite so I didn't pay attention to that. The second post was very interesting facts with India going from 20% of global GDP to 2% and is the most decisive argument to be made of the ill effects of British damage to the Indian economy. However, the counter argument is made that this drop of global GDP % wasn't wholly the fault of UK but industrial revolution hitting Europe first. Everything has to be taken into perspective such as technology and production on a global stage.
Actually, what the British did was hold back the industrial revolution in India because the truth is, contrary to what many Indians believe, the British's biggest asset in India were the people, more than the resources... What the British got from India was a huge market for British goods, and whatever infrastructure they built in India was precisely for this purpose. Take the raw materials out, and import British goods to be sold in India.. that's why when Gandhi started telling Indians to boycott everything British and put fourth an example himself by shedding his market bought clothes and started weaving his own, and distilling his own salt, etc.. it hurt the British like nothing else..

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Actually, what the British did was hold back the industrial revolution in India because the truth is, contrary to what many Indians believe, the British's biggest asset in India were the people, more than the resources... What the British got from India was a huge market for British goods, and whatever infrastructure they built in India was precisely for this purpose. Take the raw materials out, and import British goods to be sold in India.. that's why when Gandhi started telling Indians to boycott everything British and put fourth an example himself by shedding his market bought clothes and started weaving his own, and distilling his own salt, etc.. it hurt the British like nothing else..

That's right. The people of India were valuable to the British not only because they formed a market for cheap machine-made goods, but also because they constituted a large manpower pool for recruiting cheap and loyal soldiers. The British Empire could not have been created without Indian sepoys, who campaigned everywhere from West Africa to Mesopotamia to China as dogs of the Crown. They also enabled Britain to be the only great power which didn't rely on conscription for its military needs.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That is certainly true, but was India on the verge of its industrial revolution before the British came? China was the pinnacle of knowledge and invention, yet they never did have an industrial revolution before Western Imperialism.

Tronic

That is certainly true, but was India on the verge of its industrial revolution before the British came? China was the pinnacle of knowledge and invention, yet they never did have an industrial revolution before Western Imperialism.
That gets into speculative history, but many Kingdoms in India, like Punjab, at the time were more innovative and technologically advanced than the Japanese shogunates, but the Japanese industrialized in 1868, while during that time, the Indian Kingdoms were subjugated by the British.

For example, the Kingdom of Mysore in South India had developed the most advanced rocket weaponry of the time, which they eventually ended up using against the British.. Punjab under Ranjit Singh had heavily westernized it's military and administrative services, and was still in the process of it's reformation when the succession crisis broke out, and the British invaded. These kingdoms showed more promise than the Japanese Tokugawa shogunate of the time in innovation and adopting superior foreign practices, but all it took was the Meiji Restoration for Japan to quickly modernize. Punjab was already on that path long before the Japanese.. the British played spoilsport..

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That gets into speculative history, but many Kingdoms in India, like Punjab, at the time were more innovative and technologically advanced than the Japanese shogunates, but the Japanese industrialized in 1868, while during that time, the Indian Kingdoms were subjugated by the British.
The Japanese industrialised by importing Western technology.

For example, the Kingdom of Mysore in South India had developed the most advanced rocket weaponry of the time, which they eventually ended up using against the British.. Punjab under Ranjit Singh had heavily westernized it's military and administrative services, and was still in the process of it's reformation when the succession crisis broke out, and the British invaded. These kingdoms showed more promise than the Japanese Tokugawa shogunate of the time in innovation and adopting superior foreign practices, but all it took was the Meiji Restoration for Japan to quickly modernize. Punjab was already on that path long before the Japanese.. the British played spoilsport..
Yeah, but weapons don't translate to industrialisation. What we are looking for is the switch from manual labour to the use of machines powered by water or heat. Signs of mass production and interchangeable parts, printing presses for dissemination of knowledge and the like. Also a stable place in India with the resources, capital and a strong government that could have fostered these changes without collapse.

Tronic

First treaty of Amritsar was signed in 1809. Charles Metcalfe and Ranjit SIngh. Look it up in whatever source you BS from
Metcalfe's 1809 treaty is only an agreement settling British-India and Punjab's borders. You were implying as if Ranjit Singh abandoned sections of Punjab to the British, which is total BS. Beyond the Sutlej river were the independent Sikh princely states such as Patiala, Jind, Nabha, etc, who withdrew from the Sikh confederacy on their own accord and chose to join with the British... All those princely states continued to exist under the British until Indian independence, when India did away with Princely states. Ranjit Singh's kingdom chose to go down fighting in war against the British, so to paint it as if Ranjit Singh willingly ceded sections of his Kingdom to the British is total ignorance and BS on your part.. Ranjit Singh did not cede a single inch of his Kingdom to anybody without bloodshed.

Tronic

The Japanese industrialised by importing Western technology.
As did pretty much everybody else. No need to re-invent the wheel.

My main argument is that Ranjit Singh in Punjab was already looking Westward to reform his kingdom. Punjab ran out of time due to the British invasion. There may have been other Indian kingdoms aswell, but being from Punjab, that's the history I'm more well versed with.

Yeah, but weapons don't translate to industrialisation. What we are looking for is the switch from manual labour to the use of machines powered by water or heat. Signs of mass production and interchangeable parts, printing presses for dissemination of knowledge and the like. Also a stable place in India with the resources, capital and a strong government that could have fostered these changes without collapse.
I don't believe every nation has to follow the same path to industrialization. For example, Muhammad Ali Pasha started off Egypt's industrialization by starting heavy weapons mass manufacturing, and than expanding his resources to improve agricultural and civil infrastructure. What did him, and Egypt in, were aggressive imperial European powers which pushed their own goods in at a much cheaper price than what Egypt could produce, which again led to the de-industrialization of Egypt.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
As did pretty much everybody else. No need to re-invent the wheel.

My main argument is that Ranjit Singh in Punjab was already looking Westward to reform his kingdom. Punjab ran out of time due to the British invasion. There may have been other Indian kingdoms aswell, but being from Punjab, that's the history I'm more well versed with.

I don't believe every nation has to follow the same path to industrialization. For example, Muhammad Ali Pasha started off Egypt's industrialization by starting heavy weapons mass manufacturing, and than expanding his resources to improve agricultural and civil infrastructure. What did him, and Egypt in, were aggressive imperial European powers which pushed their own goods in at a much cheaper price than what Egypt could produce, which again led to the de-industrialization of Egypt.
Okay, say India imported the technology like Japan. Japan was surrounded by water which gave it a safe place to develop. What state in India could have been the safe haven for industrialisation to take place. It wasn't like India was at peace.

Tronic

Okay, say India imported the technology like Japan. Japan was surrounded by water which gave it a safe place to develop. What state in India could have been the safe haven for industrialisation to take place. It wasn't like India was at peace.
That's the whole point. "India" (by which, I'll take the Maratha Empire and Sikh Empire, being the two dominant powers in the subcontinent at the time) could not develop industrially in time as they were defeated and toppled by the British. Had the British not arrived, than we would not be having this discussion, right? Without the British, these two kingdoms faced no other existential threats, and they stayed away from direct confrontation against each other.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That's the whole point. "India" (by which, I'll take the Maratha Empire and Sikh Empire, being the two dominant powers in the subcontinent at the time) could not develop industrially in time as they were defeated and toppled by the British. Had the British not arrived, than we would not be having this discussion, right? Without the British, these two kingdoms faced no other existential threats, and they stayed away from direct confrontation against each other.
It was the Maratha Empire's use of Ganimi Kava on Muhgal cities that left India's economy in shambles. If the Maratha's hadn't destroyed everything, they would have had enough resources to fend off the British. They didn't really seem interested in industrialisation.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles