Indian Defence Forum -

View Poll Results: Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chandragupta Maurya

69 41.07%
  • Ashoka

22 13.10%
  • Raja Chola

12 7.14%
  • Akbar

9 5.36%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

8 4.76%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

25 14.88%
  • Tipu Sultan

5 2.98%
  • Ranjith Singh

5 2.98%
  • Samudra Gupta

5 2.98%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

7 4.17%
  • Harsha

1 0.60%
  • Kanishka

0 0%
Page 1 of 82 1234561151 ... LastLast
Like Tree565Likes

The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Liked
    151 times
    India

The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who were the greatest Buddhist, Hindu and Jain kings in Indian history in terms of military accomplishments or cultural achievements.
    I have made a list of perhaps the greatest Buddhist, Hindu and Jain kings in Indian history.
    Choose the king who deserves to be called as an great Indian king.

-Ajatasatru: 5th Century BC

-Chandragupta Maurya: 4th Century BC

-Emperor Ashoka: 3rd Century BC

-Kharavela: 2nd Century BC

-Gautamiputra Satakarni: 1st Century CE

-Chandragupta II: 4th Century

-Yasodharman: 6th Century

-Harsha Vardhana: 7th Century

-Pulakesi II: 7th Century

-Nagabhata and Bappa Rawal: 8th Century

-Vikramaditya II: 8th Century

-Amoghavarsha: 9th Century

-Dharmapala: 9th Century

-Devapala: 9th Century

-Mihira Bhoja 9th Century

-Raja Chola: 10th Century

-Raja Bhoja: 11th Century

-Rajendra Chola: 11th Century

-Vikramaditya VI: 12th Century

-Prithviraj Chauhan: 12th Century

-Jatavarman Pandyan: 13th Century

-Singhana II: 13th Century

-Narasimhadeva: 13th Century

-Hakka and Bukka: 14th Century

-Musunuri Kaapaaneedu: 14th Century

-Rana Kumbha: 15th Century

-Deva Raya II: 15th Century

-Kapilendradeva: 15th Century

-Maharana Pratap: 16th Century

-Sri Krishna Devaraya: 16th Century

-Shivaji Maharaj: 17th Century

-Baji Rao: 18th Century

-Balaji Bajirao: 18th Century

› See More: The Greatest Kings in Indian History
    Last edited by Bhoja; 09-10-11 at 12:51 AM.

Liked
    3590 times
    India
    Chandragupta Maurya and Ranjit Singh. The only two guys to have controlled the Khyber Pass
    Last edited by LurkerBaba; 08-10-11 at 10:41 PM.

Liked
    3892 times
    India
    Chandragupta Maurya - To Control whole Bharat (From Kandhar to Bengal, Kashmir to South)

Chandragupta Maurya Empire

Rajendra Chola (For expansion the Kingdom till Indonesia, Laos, etc.)

Rajendra map new

Shivaji Maharaj (To End Mughals rule)

Joppen1907India1795a

Last edited by Galaxy; 09-10-11 at 12:37 AM.
    U Sun Dar likes this.
    Strength lies not in defense but in attack. ~ Adolf Hitler.

Liked
    151 times
    India
    I am surprised that most of the Indians dont know about the achievements of Nagabhata Pratihara and Bappa
    Rawal. They were the famous rulers who defeated the arabs in the famous battle of Rajasthan in 738 CE
    and protected practically whole India. The Pratihara Dynasty was responsible for stopping the Arab expansion.
    Of course the Arabs were also later defeated by the Chalukya King Vikramaditya.
    Last edited by Bhoja; 09-10-11 at 01:05 AM.
    dude00720, maomao, KS and 7 others like this.

Liked
    9955 times
    India
    Ammm the King of Good Times?

Seriously though, any comparison is difficult. As they say in cricket when they talk about the greatest cricketer of all times and they say it's difficult to judge players of different eras and it won't be fair to anyone.

Though they say the Don was the greatest, but just a batsman.

Chandragupta Maurya is always spoken with high regards. Samudra Gupta led what is known as the Golden Age.

Ashoka.

Kanishka is one no one has mentioned. Be was a great military leader. His empire stretched till central Asia.

Harshavardhan, Raja Raja Chola.

The Vijaynagar Empire was great as well under Krishnadevaraya.
    Adux, Nagraj, Galaxy and 3 others like this.
    I am from the North East, I am from the North, I am from the West, I am from the South, I am from the East. I am a Hindu, I am a Muslim, I am a Christian, I am a Sikh. I am an INDIAN

www.facebook.com/defenceforumindia
    Twitter: @YusufDFI
    www.sarvatravijay.wordpress.com

Liked
    2126 times
    India
    Personally, I love the majestic stature of king Shivaji. Though far from being a Marathi, I believe he had style. Totally innovated special forces tactics, gave hell to the Mughal invaders, fought for his land's culture and stood firm against outsiders. If there was ONE man of his caliber ruling today (in central government), we'd see the entire Asia bow down to us.
    How do you scare the shit out of a Paki?? Suddenly jump in front of one and yell, "JJJJJEEEEEWWWWWWWWW"!

Liked
    7489 times
    India
    please provide some background and the reasons why you chose that particular monarch ?
    Twitter: @singhdfi @defence_in

Liked
    10400 times
    India
    Why is Emperor Akbar missing in the list (leading post)?
    No individual ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb individual die for his country. - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Liked
    2126 times
    India
    Quote Originally Posted by pmaitra View Post
    Why is Emperor Akbar missing in the list (leading post)?
    He's not an Indian. Descendant of an Uzbek invader, I don't think he'd ever be considered one. No matter how much you try to blend in for generations, if you still migrate to Europe you'd be considered an Indian. Something like that. Liberal or not, that can be debatable, but he's not Indian.
    How do you scare the shit out of a Paki?? Suddenly jump in front of one and yell, "JJJJJEEEEEWWWWWWWWW"!

Liked
    3590 times
    India
    Quote Originally Posted by Tshering22 View Post
    He's not an Indian. Descendant of an Uzbek invader, I don't think he'd ever be considered one. No matter how much you try to blend in for generations, if you still migrate to Europe you'd be considered an Indian. Something like that. Liberal or not, that can be debatable, but he's not Indian.
    Well, there were loads of invaders who blended into India. Scythians, Kushans etc were assimilated. But yes, the Mughals were never completely digested into Indian culture

Liked
    10400 times
    India
    His ancestor Babur was from Samarkhand, yes, but he is descended from the Buryat Mongols; Mongols, but from a place that is currently in Russia.

In any case, Akbar was very much an Indian. If he is not, then, going by the school of thought that some Rajputs were migrants, are also not Indian.

When people migrate, they are assimilated, but they also bring in culture that gets assimilated into the people of their new homeland.

Anyways, this is debatable, and basically a futile one. Perhaps this is merely a coincidence, but there is an uncanny similarity of faith among all the persons listed.

P.S.: I find it rather weird that we do not hesitate to tout the Taj Mahal to get foreign tourists to visit India, yet, we are debating whether a Mughal Emperor, that too one who was born here, is considered non-Indian by some.
    Singh, hit&run, Illusive and 5 others like this.
    No individual ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb individual die for his country. - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Liked
    2453 times
    India
    Even the Rajputs and other people in NW India are descendants of Central Asian nomadic peoples, particularly the Sakas and Hunas. Does this mean they are not Indian?

I wonder if you consider Tipu Sultan to be an Indian.

Quote Originally Posted by pmaitra View Post
    Perhaps this is merely a coincidence, but there is an uncanny similarity of faith among all the persons listed.
    I don't think it's a coincidence.
    Last edited by civfanatic; 09-10-11 at 04:53 AM.
    Adux, pmaitra and The Messiah like this.
    "The spectacle of what is called religion, or at any rate organised religion, in India and elsewhere has filled me with horror, and I have frequently condemned it and wished to make a clean sweep of it. Almost always it seems to stand for blind belief and reaction, dogma and bigotry, superstition and exploitation, and the preservation of vested interests."

-- Jawaharlal Nehru

Liked
    2453 times
    India
    The Top 5 Greatest Kings in Indian history, in my opinion:

5. Kanishka (r. 127-151 C.E.) - for creating perhaps the most diverse and internationalist state in Indian history. Kanishka himself was a Buddhist of Central Asian origin, but within the borders of his empire virtually every philosophy and religion of the known world flourished, including Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, and Hellenism. His empire stretched from North India to Persia and Central Asia, being one of the only Indian kings to rule such a territory; as a consequence the Kushanas directly controlled the lucrative Silk Road trade between East and West and reaped immense profits. The arts flourished and wealth was in abundance.

4. Chandragupta II Vikramaditya (r. 375-415 C.E.) - for restoring the imperial splendor of Magadha and ushering in India's Golden Age. His campaigns against the Sakas, Hunas, and Kambojas, as well as his marital alliances with other Indian powers like the Vakatakas, extended Gupta power and influence over much of the subcontinent. He also patronised the arts and sciences, paving the way for India's greatest thinkers and scholars like Aryabhata; the highly prestigious centres of learning at Nalanda, Varanasi, Takshasila, and others drew migrants and pilgrims from all over the world. It also during this time that extensive cultural and commercial links began to be established with Southeast Asia, eventually leading to the rise of Indianised kingdoms in that region.

3.Shahanshah Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar (r. 1542-1605) - for pioneering modern liberal secularism and universal tolerance in an age that badly needed it. The Ibadat Khana, or house of worship, hosted a wide diversity of philosophers and scholars from all religions, where they debated various matters regarding life and universe before the emperor. The abolition of the jizya and other discriminatory taxes and a policy of equality towards all regardless of belief allowed the empire to prosper. India's cultural achievements, especially in architecture, reached their zenith. The empire was also incredibly wealthy; it was said that Akbar's annual revenue in 1600 exceeded in value Britain's entire treasury in 1800.

2. Chandragupta Maurya (r. 320-298 B.C.E.) - for uniting Bharatvarsha into a single entity for the first time, and becoming an inspiration for countless Indians of the past, present, and future. With the assistance of Chanakya, perhaps the greatest statesman to be born in this part of the world, he first overthrew the corrupt Nanda dynasty of Pataliputra, reinstated a new dynasty in his name, and went on to unite the various peoples of India. His career culminated with the conquest of Afghanistan and defeat of Seleucus Nicator, one of Alexander's own generals.

1. Samraat Asoka Maurya the Great (r. 274-232 B.C.E.)
    Adux, devgupt, pmaitra and 3 others like this.
    "The spectacle of what is called religion, or at any rate organised religion, in India and elsewhere has filled me with horror, and I have frequently condemned it and wished to make a clean sweep of it. Almost always it seems to stand for blind belief and reaction, dogma and bigotry, superstition and exploitation, and the preservation of vested interests."

-- Jawaharlal Nehru

Liked
    2374 times
    United States
    Kharavela is an emperor that doesn't get much notice. His empire is short lived, but he was an interesting character.

Kharavela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Shaitan Mark 2 is operational.

Liked
    1456 times
    India
    ALL monarchs in the Indian context none had a vision for the future.In that context gandhiji,patel and ambedkar were great individuals
    pmaitra and parijataka like this.
    Iam dumb!!!!!

Page 1 of 82 1234561151 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information