Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Raja Raja Cholan, The Great South Indian Tamil King

मध्यस्थ
    Liked
    17 times

Recently came across some good videos on one of the most heroic Indian king.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don�t..

जननी जन्मभूमि च स्वर्गात अपि गरीयसी (The mother and motherland are greater than heaven)

मध्यस्थ
    Liked
    17 times
    Wonder what the Indian history would have been if he had turned North rather than South East.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don�t..

जननी जन्मभूमि च स्वर्गात अपि गरीयसी (The mother and motherland are greater than heaven)

Liked
    2472 times
    India
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinod2070 View Post
    Wonder what the Indian history would have been if he had turned North rather than South East.
    I'm pretty sure the Cholas did, at one point, turn North and reach the banks of the Ganga. They then transported the sacred water of the Ganga back to the temple complex of Mahaballipuram.

Personally I think its better that the Cholas turned Southeast and spread Indian culture to Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.
    "The spectacle of what is called religion, or at any rate organised religion, in India and elsewhere has filled me with horror, and I have frequently condemned it and wished to make a clean sweep of it. Almost always it seems to stand for blind belief and reaction, dogma and bigotry, superstition and exploitation, and the preservation of vested interests."

-- Jawaharlal Nehru

Liked
    253 times
    India
    Certainly , I echo you here.Really it would remain a great what-if of Indian histoy - had the successive Chola rulers turned north.
    It would make for an excellent alternate history novel.

Rajendra Chola had conquered as far as Bengal. Wish he would have north from there

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by civfanatic View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Cholas did, at one point, turn North and reach the banks of the Ganga. They then transported the sacred water of the Ganga back to the temple complex of Mahaballipuram.

Personally I think its better that the Cholas turned Southeast and spread Indian culture to Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.

Its not Mahabalipuram, it was Gangai Konda Cholapuram

मध्यस्थ
    Liked
    17 times
    Those rampaging elephants must be quite a sight! Puncturing holes through whole armies.

The Mongols (Mughals) had developed a counter to rampaging elephants. They would shoot arrows at them and make them turn on their own army. Indian tactics failed to eveolve with time and the country suffered badly for this.

One has to marvel at the great feat of Engineering thousands of years back when no one else in the world was capable of such a feat.

Liked
    0 times
    Chola Dynasty
    Rajendra map new

Temple built during the 10th century,almost 1000 years old
    Temple building received great impetus from the conquests and the genius of Rajaraja Chola and his son Rajendra Chola.
    main vimanam (tower) is single rock of the weighs more than one tonne..The main feature is u can never see the shadow falling on the ground.
    tvoretemple

Temple built by Chola in Java (Indonesia)
    Prambanancomplex

Patadakalu belongs of Chola dynasty
    Last edited by rocky2; 29-08-10 at 11:25 AM.

Liked
    400 times
    The architecture of Chola kings, especially Raja Raja Chola, was marvellous, it gives us a peek into the cultural supremacy of Indian empire at a time when the most of the world was almost living a primitive lifestyle.

3172672767 76fdf1ce21 b

images?qtbnANd9GcQs GKyEkQX2fjInJw KIWhqoI3P7ol9 CJS5k  pQDjYLaScE&ampt1&ampusg   aJC  Yj1aXMFopWJJjfRSCwAPs

images?qtbnANd9GcSqLbCbnehVcBI6xWAEckAA9LwSCddVpC8jDh N3vd4hD5FKT8&ampt1&ampusg  XAXvHxkurONaVvWHWxSSoh2MN 0

images?qtbnANd9GcQnoQV NJdJoVlk8sXHDEyt3UCwwHD0LlNu1 GqfSneamtOhXs&ampt1&ampusg  gEa6w1t6L1IwPuGHN1RyUywk0i8

images?qtbnANd9GcSbj 3OsP RzA0qxh5qrTKE4NPaNFysxQhUSmkRAp jJgWujGU&ampt1&ampusg  uO1 TLEmIZVuIP54PIWuLefgM4Q

images?qtbnANd9GcRAre1WUKTv2ibiKrgT1H5VhV5o41QVCqYNHsi1LdZdMKxvgpI&ampt1&ampusg  CXT4wmrGQsyuXSHGzvOBQ R8hLA

images?qtbnANd9GcRCcxGJAGcklJpfNMybNJJ7WiGT0iRTgN3pclhhFepEu 0FolU&ampt1&ampusg  XyIDzNvIMbxqPnziOOaTH4mpsQQ

images?qtbnANd9GcQFebfUhY 7HFPoCTk0a0uxyV g3WK80CyIdWR5Wpy3GPWYsw8&ampt1&ampusg  2ltHZpSimGf N 97JpFsPPkA3OQ

images?qtbnANd9GcT4hJ uqraHD1HWuxkTYtCtH IMOsrPz81xKEL3F9DsoY5iXRc&ampt1&ampusg  G1oSuZVBECgX8wf4PZ 1PSVzpRg

images?qtbnANd9GcRoaWMpbWbiVBw12rQW2gJOn0wGiY8eDjejBlrg62RN0hlGshE&ampt1&ampusg  JT1O51Fqp fJkHLSXJ6BvrhfVzQ
    My Blog on Sri Ramayana: http://orgvalmikiramayana.blogspot.com/

Liked
    253 times
    India
    Our tactics didnt evolved with time.This has been a great bane of nearly all Indian empires since ancient times.
    In 1857 -the first war for Indian Independence, the primary weapon was good old sword. And not to mention the tactics. Compare it with US civil war which was fought a few years later.

In fact one can even say that failure of 1962 is a continuation of that approach-lack of attention ,lack of foresightedness in developing a long term vision for army, and not learning from others.
    Hopefullly we have learnt from this. The Indian army is coming up with new doctrines every few years.

This peace ,This prosperity all this is beacuse we are united and free. There is one thing in common The Mauryans,The Guptas, The Cholas, The Mughals periods and the current Indian political setup- A strong armed force, a state where the writ of centre prevails. At no cost ( that includes human rights too) - should this be allowed to crumble.
    Last edited by devgupt; 29-08-10 at 02:12 PM.

Liked
    9 times
    India
    Those rampaging elephants must be quite a sight! Puncturing holes through whole armies.

The Mongols (Mughals) had developed a counter to rampaging elephants. They would shoot arrows at them and make them turn on their own army. Indian tactics failed to eveolve with time and the country suffered badly for this.

One has to marvel at the great feat of Engineering thousands of years back when no one else in the world was capable of such a feat.
    Chola's had a very powerful navy in the world at that time. Nearly 600-1000 Boats, Bay of Bengal is literally a lake to them.

Chola Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chola's Army is nevertheless a small entity, It is more powerful than anything in Asia as of that period. There were more than 2M men in Chola's Army which is nearly equal to that of the size of the PLA today. Also they have had a very robust economy and sea-trade.

Chola military - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    :angry_1: I dont want to have Siggy :angry_1:

Liked
    400 times
    @Devgupt

One reason for the failure to evolve is because India fails to keep tabs on the happenings outside India. India so vast and complex that any ruler concentrates all his energies within India. His hands are full in trying to juggle administration, keeping enemies subjugated, defending himself from internal rivals and so on... So over a period and Indian ruler fails to keep up with the techiniques developed outside India and is taken by surprise.

Even today, our political parties are busy attacking each other. Hopefully, we will learn from our history. Since, we have experienced slavery for a long time which is still fresh in our minds, hopefully we will be on our toes. But over a time lethargy, rot and corruption get into any system.
    My Blog on Sri Ramayana: http://orgvalmikiramayana.blogspot.com/

मध्यस्थ
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agantrope View Post
    Chola's had a very powerful navy in the world at that time. Nearly 600-1000 Boats, Bay of Bengal is literally a lake to them.

Chola Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chola's Army is nevertheless a small entity, It is more powerful than anything in Asia as of that period. There were more than 2M men in Chola's Army which is nearly equal to that of the size of the PLA today. Also they have had a very robust economy and sea-trade.

Chola military - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I am not really sure of this. At that time, without the modern communication systems, it would be impossible to coordinate such a large army.

Liked
    636 times
    India
    Quote Originally Posted by johnee View Post
    @Devgupt

One reason for the failure to evolve is because India fails to keep tabs on the happenings outside India. India so vast and complex that any ruler concentrates all his energies within India. His hands are full in trying to juggle administration, keeping enemies subjugated, defending himself from internal rivals and so on... So over a period and Indian ruler fails to keep up with the techiniques developed outside India and is taken by surprise.

Even today, our political parties are busy attacking each other. Hopefully, we will learn from our history. Since, we have experienced slavery for a long time which is still fresh in our minds, hopefully we will be on our toes. But over a time lethargy, rot and corruption get into any system.
    That's exactly what is happening today. Our politicians are busy trying to pull each others legs, who cares about defence or changes happening at the international level.

Liked
    9 times
    India
    I am not really sure of this. At that time, without the modern communication systems, it would be impossible to coordinate such a large army.
    I think we are obsessed with what we saw. There may some other mode of communication with them at that time. Even Napolean have had a large army before the invention of radio as well as Ashoka and Romans
    :angry_1: I dont want to have Siggy :angry_1:

मध्यस्थ
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Agantrope View Post
    I think we are obsessed with what we saw. There may some other mode of communication with them at that time. Even Napolean have had a large army before the invention of radio as well as Ashoka and Romans
    I don't think any of them had an army of million plus.

Remember there is a tendency to exaggerate in such accounts of history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information