Why is Kashmir issue unresolved yet with Pakistan?

santosh10

The West ignored terrorism since it did not affect them.

It was only when the full might of terrorism hit them that they realised that while ignoring terrorism till then to futher their geopolitical and geostrategic aims, they themselves were on the crosshair of the terrorists who would make their lives hell.

We can thank Ilayas and Osama for teaching the West that all that glitters is not gold. for their cunning geostrategic aims.

the Diplomatic Allies of Taliban, because of the Religious Background

sir, i just discussed, when Mr Nawaz Sarif was Prime Minister of Pakistan during 90s, once he said, "even if you carry gold in a trolley in Afghanistan, it can't be stolen. so good laws and order under Shariah laws of Taliban there."

it was the time when Pakistan was maintaining diplomatic relations with Taliban, along with Saudi Arabia, UAE also. i was doing my BE and i said on that news among my friends, "even if you abuse, they cut your lips. even if someone steals bread, they either cut your hands, or, Taliban and tribal areas of Pakistan laws allow rape of sister of that person as a penalty, by the group of victims. and thats the outcome of Afghanistan, where even gold can't be stolen on night if you carry in a trolley." :tsk:

(it was also the time when we were discussing a news of Pakistani tribal region where Shariah laws allowed rape of sister of a man who did stealing in a food shop.)

and its all about the "background" of two different type of people, one of those like us who think Taliban as a terrorist organization and the another side which favor Islamic Laws, Shariah laws, and see only good of Taliban only......

Islamic religious fanaticism can be easily seen in almost all the Muslims online warriors who always have a reason to support ISIS, and they are the same people of NATO allies who have been arming even Al Qaeda during the recent Syria war too. the US has a history of using terrorists against the rivals, by using its friends like Saudi, Pakistan, UAE, Turkey etc too. and these people come on their target only when US/West themselves feel heat of it :ranger:

During its time in power, the Taliban regime gained diplomatic recognition from only three states: the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia, all of which provided substantial aid. The other nations including the United Nations recognized the government of the Islamic State of Afghanistan (parts of whom were part of the United Front (Northern Alliance) as the legitimate government of Afghanistan.

From 1995 to 2001, the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence[27] and military[28] are widely alleged by the international community to have provided support to the Taliban. Their connections are possibly through Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, a terrorist group founded by Sami ul Haq.[29] Pakistan is accused by many international officials of continuing to support the Taliban; Pakistan states that it dropped all support for the group after 9/11. Al-Qaeda also supported the Taliban with regiments of imported fighters from Arab countries and Central Asia. Saudi Arabia provided financial support.[36] The Taliban and their allies committed massacres against Afghan civilians, denied UN food supplies to 160,000 starving civilians[40] and conducted a policy of scorched earth, burning vast areas of fertile land and destroying tens of thousands of homes during their rule from 1996 to 2001.[41][42] Hundreds of thousands of people were forced to flee to United Front-controlled territory, Pakistan, and Iran.[42]

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban#International_relations

Last edited:

santosh10

//defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/65371-saarc-tanks-no-agreements-signed-after-pakistans-objections.html

SAARC Tanks: No Agreements Signed After Pakistan's Objections

Why Pakistan will have constipation if SAARC countries will be better connected?

The blot of South Asia a minion state of China suffering from poly-master abuse Pakistan has been deliberately making SAARC ineffectual and dysfunctional so that it can justify entry of China in the group.

Now it should be clear to all those lotus eater hallucinating Indians like Mani Shankar et al that stable Pakistan is not in our interest.
//defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/65371-saarc-tanks-no-agreements-signed-after-pakistans-objections.html

"Uniting" Pakistan and Bangladesh will result in a thorough destruction of India

increased people to people connectivity with Pakistan+Bangladesh will Destabilize India

here, we do know how partition of India occurred in 1947, and how India always face increase in Islamic Terrorism from these 2 neighbours of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. then how do we get this type of news? over 1,000,000 deaths occurred due to Hindu-Muslim-Sikh riots, mainly because of aggressive Muslims based in Pakistani Punjab and Bangladesh regions, who are now separate countries as Pakistan and Bangladesh now....

we have news of growing activities of Indian Muzahidin in north east region due to increased Islamic fanaticism from Bangladesh, very frequent. and the way population of these two countries have been increased to 200million and 180million respectively, minorities of these two neighbours are almost gone, only Shia-Sunni-Ahmadi riots in Pakistan is the news now, while united Bengali Muslims against its minorities is also discussed in the thread as below..... then, how do we see this type of news?
//defenceforumindia.com/forum/internal-security/63875-bangladeshi-criminal-gangs-new-challenge-delhi-police-4.html
i never trust this Modi, who always look like either a duplicate man or a man with corrupted mind to work in behalf of rouge neighbours, who might have full support from US in this regard too. most probably a Bangladeshi spy, i think.....

Pakistani Secularism

yesterday i read a news of Ms Hina Rabbani Khan while talking about secularism of Pakistan and while giving reference of raid of Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan, i discussed few questions as below:-

1st: is Pakistan a country who would be informed by the US's marine for the above operation? they just made a stealthy raid for the hunt of Osama Bin Laden. why? and its a common sense for the whole world....

2nd: Pakistan's foreign minister talks about secularism about the country, Pakistan, while is there any country of world who is surprised if OBL is found near Pakistani Military Camp? do you think someone from rest of the world would be surprised on this type of news, why OBL was found enjoying luxury life in a military town of Pakistan?

3rd: and if its informer was sent on life imprisonment for spying of OBL by the Pakistani Judiciary, is it something unusual where OBL was regarded as a God's man, message of Islam, while he was the most wanted terrorist for rest of the world? its a quite usual news while reading about the Blasphemy law in Pakistan, to target minorities there....
//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_Pakistan

4th; minorities of Pakistan are almost gone, only Shia-Sunni-Ahmadi riots in Pakistan is in news now. on the other hand, population of Hindus in Bangladesh have been reduced from 30% in 1947 to below 10% at present, continuous attacks on the Buddhist+Hindus minorities there is also a news, very frequent.
while on the other hand, population of Hindus in India reduced from 88% in 1947 to below 80% at present, which does state about the "secularism" structure of India as whole, a 'non-religious' country....

5th: how many terrorist plots being planned in world, which aren't linked with Pakistan? i mean, is there any terrorist plots against any part of world, whether US or UK or even Xinjiang state of China, including India, which isn't linked with Pakistan? and here, are the people of world get surprised if we always find someone from Pakistan arrested for these plots?

6th; with these facts, only threats we find in India, for the way these two rogue neighbors have changed their way of practice. "Indian" Muzahidin like Azmal Kasab coming from Pakistan, with Hindu type Red Stings on hands, is now the biggest challenge imposed on India, the nation. how to tackle this type of 'Indian' Muzahidin Hindus coming from Pakistan+Bangladesh? while growing activities of Indian Muzahidin in North East region, because of the Bangladeshi infiltrators there, is also very frequent...

from here, why is it wrong if we talk to defend India from these two rogue neighbors of India? how would we allow these Islamic fanatic people in India, who will only try to do the same in India, which they have done in Pakistan+Bangladesh? why would there be any reason for destruction of India, the nation, whether its secularism of whatever?
@Ray
Abbottabad -- The military town where bin Laden hid in plain sight

CNN) -- One week ago, the chief of Pakistan's Army Staff, Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, told graduating cadets in the city of Abbottabad that the "back of terrorism" in Pakistan had been broken, thanks to the sacrifices of Pakistan's soldiers.

Kayani was speaking at the "passing out parade" at the prestigious Kakul military academy in Abbottabad, the West Point of Pakistan. At that very moment, the man who had dragged Pakistan into the "War on Terror" a decade earlier was, it transpires, just a mile or two away, living in apparent comfort behind the high walls of a very private compound. Osama bin Laden, who had declared war on Pakistan, had apparently been living for months in a city that had made its name as a military garrison.

Abbottabad, pronounced AHB-tah-bahd, is some 60 miles by winding mountainous roads north of Pakistan's capital. Surrounded by green hills, it is renowned for its trees and parks. It's a popular retirement place for officers in the Pakistani army, partly because of its military academy, but also because of its agreeable climate. During British rule, the Imperial Gazeteer of India described it as "picturesquely situated," 4,120 feet above sea level.

Abbottabad sits on the Karakoram Highway, an engineering marvel that links Pakistan with China through the Himalayas. Before much of Pakistan became off-limits to most foreign tourists, it was also a popular spot for those on their way to and from the Swat valley and the foothills of the Himalayas.

//edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/02/bin.laden.abbottabad/

Last edited by a moderator:

sgarg

@santosh10, you are a very informed person. Your posts contain a lot of truths. Your basic premise that population of Muslims has exploded compared to Hindus is true of entire South Asia. The reason is number of children in Muslim households are much higher. Most Muslims remain illiterate and do manual labour or low skilled work. The situation in South Asia is very complicated and there are no easy solutions.

Power of conviction always wins in the long run. Our civilization has survived so long despite odds, and will surely survive in future. There is very bright time for India after 2025. We are now in tough times and the tough time will continue for several years.

Modi is the right leader for these times. He works very hard, is very committed and is very focused.

santosh10

@santosh10, you are a very informed person. Your posts contain a lot of truths. Your basic premise that population of Muslims has exploded compared to Hindus is true of entire South Asia. The reason is number of children in Muslim households are much higher. Most Muslims remain illiterate and do manual labour or low skilled work. The situation in South Asia is very complicated and there are no easy solutions.

Power of conviction always wins in the long run. Our civilization has survived so long despite odds, and will surely survive in future. There is very bright time for India after 2025. We are now in tough times and the tough time will continue for several years.

Modi is the right leader for these times. He works very hard, is very committed and is very focused.

Foreign Policies/National Issues don't change with any certain Political Party

hmmm, im agreed with all you said, except accepting Mr Modi as a right or wrong person, whatever. :wave:

i dont favor or against Modi or Rahul or Mulayam/Mayawati etc., but intention of my last post is to highlight the national issues, which are the same for any ruling party of India.

Foreign Policies/National Issues don't change with any certain Political Party

i mean, i won't hesitate to put even Rahul, Mulayam, Mamata, Jayalalitha, etc in the category of a spy of Bangladesh or Pakistan, if any of them work in behalf of these countries to destroy India for the same reason, for this type of acts.

your support for Mr Modi might be having a type of 'trust' aspect for this newly elected leader, but my statement is to target whoever would do something by this type of steps to destroy the country, we and our families are based in :thumb:

:india:

santosh10

Is this a Map of India right now,
During my school days i have seen this map and even now many people having this, and one day suddenly i came to know that China has taken some part and Pakistan had taken away some part and i was heart broken

Chinese and Pakistan websites has different Map

I like to ask one question, how people feel who lives in the border of LOC, What does people think about India in POK,

hmmm, we call it the 'legal' map of India, covering those parts of Kashmir also, the POK, which has been taken by Pakistan, and Akshai area to China too :ranger:

Last edited:

prohumanity

Country flag
The simple and true answer is " Pakistan supported by West for 60 years did not want any solution to Jammu and Kashmir so they can keep the option of bleeding India by thousand cuts (thru Kashmir) if India refuse to become a puppet of West.
Islamic terrorism was a policy to destabilize and harass other nation UNTIL it came back to bite the west after Year 2001.

sgarg

Kashmir has proven very useful to India - as it has been the largest factor in improving military capacity of India, and has helped immensely in political consolidation of Hindus.

A large threat like Pakistan provides a very useful service to India. I remember Kabir's wise words "nindak niyare rakhiye".

I am very thankful to Pakistan for the role it plays. Hope it plays that role even more. I am also thankful to the West in propping up Pakistan (China too).

santosh10

Kashmir has proven very useful to India - as it has been the largest factor in improving military capacity of India, and has helped immensely in political consolidation of Hindus..
@prohumanity

The irony is, These countries prefer illiterate and radical nationalities like Pakistanis and Bangaldeshi but will screen the well qualified Indian professionals there, and club them with these morons.

Well as they sow, so they reap.
@Ray

Bangladeshi man sentenced to 30 years for New York Fed bomb plot

Bangladeshi Quazi Ahsanullah displays a photograph of his son Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis as he weeps in his home in the Jatrabari neighborhood in north Dhaka, Bangladesh, in October 2012.

A judge sentenced a Bangladeshi man to 30 years in prison on Friday after he admitted that he intended to use a bomb in what U.S. authorities called a plot to blow up the New York Federal Reserve Bank.

Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, 22, who had pleaded guilty to the government's charge of "attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction" and faced life in prison, told the judge he now rejects radical Islam and apologized to the people of New York and the United States. Prosecutors had said Nafis had claimed on social media sites to have contacts with al Qaeda.

"I'm ashamed, I'm lost, I tried to do a terrible thing," said Nafis, who was arrested in October 2012 while trying to detonate what he believed to be a 1,000-pound bomb hidden in a van.

Instead, the van carried inert materials planted by an undercover FBI agent as part of a sting operation. Prosecutors said Nafis attempted to use a mobile phone to detonate the bogus device. :coffee:

Before handing down the sentence, Judge Carol Amon in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn said it was clear Nafis intended to go through with the plot in lower Manhattan.

"He continually dialed the cell phone number that he thought would explode the device," the judge said. Still, she said she was "prepared to accept that the remorse he had expressed is genuine."

Had Nafis been able to accomplish what he had set out to do, prosecutor James Loonam said, it would have been "a Boston Marathon style terrorist attack." In April, home-made bombs killed three people and injured 264 others near the marathon finish line.

Loonam asked the judge to punish Nafis within the federal sentencing guidelines of 30 years to life in prison.

The defense asked for a more lenient sentence of 20 years for Nafis, who wore khaki prison overalls and handcuffs.

He had a strict, isolated upbringing and his upper middle class parents sometimes beat him for failing to focus enough on his studies, once so severely he temporarily went mute when he was 6 years old, said his court-appointed defense lawyer Heidi Cesare. As a university student in Dhaka, Bangladesh, he got his first taste of freedom and became radicalized by other students, she said.

According to a criminal complaint unsealed in October, Nafis entered the United States in 2012 with a student visa, and eventually traveled to the New York City borough of Queens.

It said he scouted targets for a potential attack, including the New York Stock Exchange and President Barack Obama, settling eventually on the Federal Reserve Bank in Manhattan.

Nafis attempted to recruit others to his plot, and discussed his plans over social media sites such as Facebook, the complaint said. He claimed he was in contact with al Qaeda operatives overseas and actively sought out new al Qaeda connections in the United States, the complaint said. :tsk:

One of the individuals he brought on board was an undercover agent working for the FBI, who monitored Nafis' activities and helped arm him with the inoperable explosives, federal authorities said. :coffee:

Bangladeshi man sentenced to 30 years for New York Fed bomb plot - U.S. News

as now we finding people of Pakistan and Bangladesh more willing to visit India, the news like as below would also have a place here, i think :facepalm:

A Pakistani official, who spoke on the condition that he not be named because of the sensitive nature of the topic, said the going price for child bombers was $7,000 to $14,000 - huge sums in Pakistan, where per-capita income is about $2,600 a year.0

washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jul/02/taliban-buying-children-to-serve-as-suicide-bomber/#ixzz3AiP69H6k

santosh10

Price of Human Lives in Overly Populated poor Muslim Countries like Pakistan+Bangladesh

@sgarg

how you people see willingness of civilians of Pakistan+Bangladesh to enter India, whose life is worth hardly from $600 to upto $15,000, in these overly populated poor Muslims countries?

how much do the visa fee they pay? :ranger:

Suicide bomber available for sale in Pakistan, investigation reveals

It turns out there is a cost to human life after all, and in one case in Pakistan, it was $600.

Police reportedly have arrested five suspects in Lahore, Pakistan's second-largest city, for planning an attack at the home of a National Assembly member, using a suicide bomber-for-hire and explosives expert that they hired for just $15,000. :facepalm:

At the time of the Aug. 6 bombing, the attack was blamed on military action against Islamic militants in northwest Pakistan, as it came amidst a rash of attacks on political leaders and government officials. A police investigation, however, found that the attack at the home of Rashid Akbar Niwani, which killed 26 people.

Police said two of the suspects, Waqas Hussain and his father, Dr. Nazar Hussain, hired the bomber to kill Ejaz Hussain, to whom Waqas allegedly owed money, the Pakistan daily newspaper Dawn reported on Wednesday.

Waqas Hussain had reportedly borrowed the cash from Ejaz to start a used-car dealership, but failed to get his business going. He attempted to repay his creditor with seven vehicles, but according to police, Ejaz demanded another 5.4 million rupees ($68,658.61) in addition.

Niwani had attempted to mediate the dispute, and a second meeting was between the two parties was scheduled on August 6. Several days earlier, however, Waqas and his father allegedly hired a mercenary Jaan Muhammad Wazeer to put a hit on Ejaz Hussain.

After confirming that Ejaz was at Niwani's house, Jaan brought the suicide bomber there, where he succeeded in killing his target - along with 25 bystanders. Niwani managed to escape.

The final price tag for the carnage was 1.2 million rupees ($15,257.47), or just $600 per victim.

nydailynews.com/news/world/suicide-bomber-sale-pakistan-investigation-reveals-article-1.355774

santosh10

@Ray

Usual Murders on the Kashmir Border

AA, today i was discussing, i had many female friends while studying in Sydney during 2003-05, few used to come to my flat of hostel too. but in beginning it was clear that people like me were bit unknown to the open society, i just started drinking in start. while i do know my those female friends, who straight used to say to few of Arabic friends, "i dont fcuk Muslims....". while drinking around the pool table, before coming with us to our flat, Arabic guys used to get some straight response like this....
i did have few friends like, one Saumik Paul i remember, who used to say, "blacks ke bare maje haim US me." (blacks have good fun in US), while dreaming to go US. but the 'sense' which Muslims have, when they want to fcuk non-Muslim girls, only they have... having their own 2-4 wives under Burka and want to fcuk all those they may get around, with a very different sense of approach them to fcuk a non-Muslim girl, the sense which girls too know while talking to Arabic-Muslim guys.....

(also, we do knew that Arabic Muslims generally get married at the age of 16-17 and get second wife by 28-29 itself, and then they come for study etc, as what we know.)

and i remembered this incident while discussing the usual murders on the India-Pakistan border of Kashmir as below. its a over 500km border, 20-30 entered from a side into India and do some wrong and run away to Pakistan border, is not very hard, easy in fact. and because of too long and tough border circumstances of surveillance too, we always have the news like as below on time to time.

enter in another border to a distance, get few of the bordering persons isn't that hard, true. but the main issue is about, the sense they bring with them to do so, when they 'be-head' Indian soldiers, a mentality Im discussing here :ranger:

deccanchronicle.com/140731/nation-current-affairs/article/indian-soldiers-beheading-army-has-given-befitting-reply
'Bharat Mata ki Jai' were the last words of Lance Naik Sudhakar Singh

deccanchronicle.com/140731/nation-current-affairs/article/indian-soldiers-beheading-army-has-given-befitting-reply

sgarg

Sacrificing life for the country is a very pious deed, which is rewarded by another lifetime as a human as per Veda.

The country must do everything to provide for the soldier, in turn.

sgarg

The just and peaceful society is ONLY possible when it is based on values and morals. Otherwise you get a lawless State like Pakistan.

Only absolute belief in one formless God as described in Veda give the power and means to demolish evil. This is the power that Shri Rama and Sri Krishna had.

Study of Veda is absolute MUST if peace is to be established on Earth.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
The just and peaceful society is ONLY possible when it is based on values and morals. Otherwise you get a lawless State like Pakistan.

Only absolute belief in one formless God as described in Veda give the power and means to demolish evil. This is the power that Shri Rama and Sri Krishna had.

Study of Veda is absolute MUST if peace is to be established on Earth.
This is sarcasm, right?

santosh10

Sacrificing life for the country is a very pious deed, which is rewarded by another lifetime as a human as per Veda.

The country must do everything to provide for the soldier, in turn.

its more about the 'murders', as, Indian soldiers too can do the same. enter in Pakistan's border to just score few.....

without any open war, this type of acts are neither to defend nor to attack the other side too. this type of murders, just to kill few of the other side, is more about the 'crimes'. as, indian side can also do the same, not hard....

santosh10

Xinjiang: Has China's crackdown on 'terrorism' worked?
2 January 2015

"Kashgar is not stable."

The words of a paramilitary police officer as he marched past me under the statue of Chairman Mao in China's westernmost city.

It was the answer to my question: "Why are there so many armoured trucks, so many armed officers, so many police dogs?"

A history scarred by civil war and foreign invasion makes many Chinese citizens hanker for strong central government.

But for security, they pay a high price in civil liberties.

Especially in border areas like this which are so different from mainstream China and where the pressure to show loyalty is correspondingly immense.

The government is watching every citizen.

The BBC's China Editor Carrie Gracie recently paid a visit to Kashgar city in the Xinjiang region

'Triple evil'

I was in Kashgar to tackle one of the hardest China stories to cover.

The story, according to the Chinese government, is "a triple evil", a mix of religious extremism, separatism and terrorism.

In May, it announced a year-long security campaign after a shocking series of attacks made the state look weak.

Exiles and human rights groups say the story is that the state itself is making matters worse, and the violence is fuelled by repression against a religious and ethnic minority, China's Muslim Uighurs.

Uighurs and Xinjiang

Uighur culture leans more towards Central Asia than China

Uighurs are ethnically Turkic Muslims and make up about 45% of the region's population; 40% are Han Chinese

China re-established control in 1949 after crushing the short-lived state of East Turkestan

Since then, there has been large-scale immigration of Han Chinese

Uighurs say they have been economically marginalised and fear their traditional culture is being eroded

Why is there tension between China and the Uighurs?

Xinjiang is China's largest administrative region and borders eight countries

Chinese or Muslim first?

I wanted to see the counter-terror crackdown at first hand, to hear from Uighurs about the religious restrictions they now face, and to make my own assessment of how the two relate.

The mission was made much harder by government surveillance both of me as a foreign journalist and of the people I was trying to talk to.

Kashgar is the last stop before Pakistan, :facepalm: closer to Baghdad than it is to Beijing. It's at the far western edge of the troubled province of Xinjiang, home to 10 million Uighurs.

China doesn't trust the loyalty of these citizens. It worries about whether they are Chinese first or Muslim first. :ranger:

Which is why alongside the security push, the past six months have seen sweeping restrictions on religious expression.

The further west and further south you go in Xinjiang, the more troubled the past and the present.

This land has seen empires come and go.

In the 20th Century, even the Russians dabbled here from just over the border in Soviet Central Asia, supporting Uighur claims for an independent state of East Turkestan.

But the Chinese Communist Party sees Xinjiang as an integral part of the People's Republic of China and teaches its citizens that the determination to hold onto it is not about mineral wealth or the geopolitics of Central Asia but a sacred trust for Chinese patriots.

China continues to step up the security presence in many key Xinjiang towns and cities

Just two days before I arrived, the area had seen another violent attack in which 15 people had died.

"The government wants to discourage religion; no official is allowed to pray in a mosque and no one under the age of 18 is allowed in" Uighur man

As so often, the incident involved a vehicle ploughing into a crowd and multiple attackers with knives and homemade explosives who were then shot dead by police.

At least 200 people have now died in clashes related to Xinjiang over the past six months and perhaps half of those killed are the attackers themselves. :rofl:
:thumb:

So what is causing young Uighur men to commit acts of violence which so often end in their own deaths?

The Chinese government says they are being poisoned by the holy war propaganda of militant Islam, propaganda flooding across the border from Pakistan and Afghanistan on DVDs, mobile phones and internet.

As part of the year-long counter-terrorism campaign, Chinese police said they have confiscated thousands of videos inciting terrorism and blocked online materials teaching terrorist techniques.

Security surveillance or paranoia: Will China's measures successfully counter terrorism fears?

Discouraging religion

As I travelled between Kashgar and a neighbouring city on a public bus, I witnessed young Uighur men obediently filing off at police checkpoints so that their phones could be checked for religious materials.:coffee:

"No one will employ Uighur workers if they had a Han alternative; they are lazy and incompetent" A Han Chinese man

"Nothing religious at all. You can have nothing at all on there," one man told me as we watched another climb back on the bus and reassembled his phone.

"The government wants to discourage religion. No official is allowed to pray in a mosque. And no one under the age of 18 is allowed in. No children."

A Uighur police officer told me the same thing. "I am a practising Muslim but I can't pray at the mosque."

When I asked how he felt about this, he looked nervously around him and pulled a wry expression.

His caution was understandable. It is dangerous to complain about any government policies in Xinjiang.

To the state, any criticism is construed as sympathy with the "three evils" of religious extremism, separatism and terrorism.

Chinese authorities insist that Xinjiang is now on the radar of international jihdism

The government insists its terror problem is a foreign import, that Xinjiang is now on the radar of international jihad.

It says the internet is poisoning young Uighur minds with off the shelf visions of martyrdom and a sense of belonging to a bigger mission.

Certainly a suicide attack on Tiananmen Square a year ago which killed and maimed many innocent tourists was accompanied by a video in which the attackers pledged holy war.

Earlier this year, Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi criticised Beijing's policies in Xinjiang and asked all Chinese Muslims to pledge allegiance to him instead.

An English-language magazine released by al-Qaeda described Xinjiang as an occupied Muslim land to be recovered into the Caliphate.

But China makes no attempt to distinguish between religious extremists who may be prepared to carry out or condone acts of terror, and those in Xinjiang with a religious, political or economic grievance which they attempt to resolve peacefully.

One of the things I tried to do in Xinjiang was to visit the home village of the Tiananmen Square attackers.

I'd read reports that the beginning of their alienation was not jihadist videos but rage against the state for demolishing parts of their mosque. I wanted to understand more about their psychological journey from law-abiding Chinese citizens to vengeful martyrs.

The ethnic Uighur population used to be the majority in China's Xinjiang region

Chinese officials blamed the attack at Tiananmen Square on separatists from Xinjiang

'Spies everywhere'

Despite several attempts to reach the village, I was not allowed in. Whether by Uighur citizens or foreign journalists, the government is simply unwilling to tolerate public discussion of the role of religious, political and economic grievances in creating its Xinjiang problem.

But I did see evidence that those grievances are mounting.

I talked to men who complained that they were no longer allowed to grow a beard, and to women who are no longer allowed to wear a veil. :tup:

A Uighur guard at a Kashgar hospital told me women who insisted on covering their face would not be admitted for medical treatment.

And a Uighur government official told me he hated his job because he could not speak any truth and there were "spies everywhere".

There are also rumbling economic grievances.

Uighurs are now a minority in their own homeland and some complained to me that they face discrimination when it comes to jobs.

One Uighur boss of a construction company conceded: "The top jobs in my company all go to Han Chinese. They have the education and we Uighurs simply don't."

And a Han Chinese was even more disparaging.

"No one would employ Uighur workers if they had a Han alternative. The Uighurs are lazy and incompetent. It will cost you three times as much to get the job done and it still won't be done to the same standard."

Even in their traditional crafts, Uighur livelihoods are under threat.

A metal worker crouched over his anvil told me: "I've been doing this for 20 years. It takes me two weeks to make a fine teapot. But now the machine made goods from China are flooding in. It's hard to make a living."

Prominent Uighur academic Ilham Tohti was found guilty of 'separatism' by a Chinese court this year

Over the past 30 years, Chinese policy makers have assumed that economic growth in Xinjiang would stifle dissent but in some ways, modernisation seems to have made Uighur marginalisation worse.

President Xi visited Xinjiang just before the counter-terror crackdown and promised more economic opportunity, saying the Uighur and Han peoples must be "as close as the seeds of the pomegranate".

But the President also urged "decisive action""¦ to resolutely suppress the terrorists' rampant momentum".

And in the short term, this action is more visible than the other.

China continues to grapple with the 'rampant momentum' of a terrorist threat in Xinjiang

After a brief visit to Xinjiang, my provisional assessment is that despite the police officer telling me "Kashgar was not stable", the overall security situation in the province was under control and there was no meaningful challenge from militant Islam.

I saw a lot of security. On key roads, in airports, on city streets.

But I did not see the level of police tension or preparedness that would suggest China was grappling with the "rampant momentum" of a serious terrorist threat.

What I did see instead was a Uighur community under intense surveillance, a community whose already very limited freedoms of speech, religion and movement are now being shrunk further.

Without any legitimate space in which to vent about this, the grim probability is that violence will go on, with some young Uighurs enraged and desperate enough to choose death in a hail of bullets rather than what they see as a life of subjugation.

BBC News - Xinjiang: Has China's crackdown on 'terrorism' worked
bbc.com/news/world-asia-30373877
bbc.com/news/world-asia-30373877

santosh10

Kashmir Issue is still unresolved as POK's bordering with Chinese State, Xinjiang, is also troubled @Ray @sgarg

gentlemen, Pakistan border with CHina on its POK state only (pak occupied kashmir), and this is what being exported to China.... the export of Islamic Fanaticism, terrorism, which India also suffered for years in Kashmir, mainly since 1990. till then Indian Kashmir was among the most peaceful region of world....

in fact, Pakistan's Baluchistan also share border with Iran's Baluchistan, and having freedom struggle in these 2 countries in this regard this way. Pakistan's tribal region is know to whole world, in fact, and Sindh's/Karachi's target killing clashes of Mohajir's with rest is also a quite common news. while the Pakistani Punjab state also remained in struggle due to rise of "Punjabi Taliban".... and this most peaceful state of Pakistan, the POK, have international issue with India and China both :facepalm:

=>
longwarjournal.org/archives/2014/12/us_targets_emir_of_p.php

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pakistan is going to send its military to assist Saudi Arabia to quell the Shia rebellion in the form of the Houthi in Yemen.

Houthis are Shias. So, Iran will be upset.

While Modi has managed a coup by chatting up to the Saudi King, who has delayed the invasion on the Houthis, so that India could evacuate, Iran will be very irritated once the Pakistanis get into action.

And that will spell trouble for Pakistan if Iran get piqued and actively assist the Shias who are being hounded and persecuted in the Pakistani sectarian internecine blood letting.

I wonder if the Kashmir issue will ever be resolved since the lines are drawn and none will budge.

War is not on the cards to resolve it and even if there is war, one war cannot resolve the issue since the territory is vast that is occupied and the terrain and lines of communication are impediments to a lightening operation.

It is time to consolidate, make Kashmir more prosperous and vibrant and when the POK citizens stew in their misery, they will turn against the Pakistan Govt and rebel.

Maybe then, they will voluntarily want to return to the Indian munificence.

Another Bangladesh will be done, where the locals are totally with the Indian forces and assisting all the way.

That will be another slap on the Two Nation theory and will be a real tight one at that.

Last edited:

sgarg

its more about the 'murders', as, Indian soldiers too can do the same. enter in Pakistan's border to just score few.....

without any open war, this type of acts are neither to defend nor to attack the other side too. this type of murders, just to kill few of the other side, is more about the 'crimes'. as, indian side can also do the same, not hard....
Yes, you are correct. The guilty MUST be punished.

santosh10

Pakistan is going to send its military to assist Saudi Arabia to quell the Shia rebellion in the form of the Houthi in Yemen.

Houthis are Shias. So, Iran will be upset.

sir, we always find Sunni Fanatic countries promoting religion, by use of money and funding extremist groups both. for example of the recent Syria war 2012-13, all of the neighbors of Syria including Saudi Arabia, Turkey too, were 'directly' involved in 'arming' and 'funding' Al Qaeda groups against then Syrian government, whose communist structure is similar to China and Russia, permanent seat holders in UNSC.....

in fact, 2 Veto from Russia and China, both, were used in favor of then Syrian government led by Mr Assad, but still direct arming and funding of Al Qaeda against then Syrian government was done during 2011-13.....

its not about favoring or going against any country, no, but we don't have good examples coming from this Gulf Region. and we find Iran and its allies do have put some resistance to the Sunni Fanatic countries of this region. and as Pakistan and also Bangladesh have been receiving support because of being Sunni majority countries, so it does bring concern to India as whole too ....

in fact, im always inclined to support small religious groups. and also as Shias, Ahmedies type minority Islamic groups too have been on target by the Sunni majority in these 2 neighbors of India, along with other minorities like Christian, Hindu, Buddhists, Sikhs etc...

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles