Govt plans to add 16,564 MW in national grid system by 2018

Neo

Tuesday, 22 July 2014

ISLAMABAD: The present government since its inception has initiated various projects aimed at coping with the menace of power load-shedding and achieving power generation mix through development of indigenous energy, particularly hydel and coal.
Official sources told APP Tuesday that the government was committed to arrange timely finances for these power projects and monitored their development regularly to ensure their completion as per schedule.

The projects of accumulative capacity of 16,564 MW, based on coal, hydel, gas and solar, would not only bridge power shortfall, but also generate surplus electricity, they added.

The projects including Guddu-I (243 MW), Nandipur Power Project (425 MW), Guddu-2 (243 MW), Quaid-i-Azam Solar Park (Phase I-II (100 MW+300 MW) and Guddu Steam 3, would be completed in 2014.

Similarly, Quaid-i-Azam Solar Park (Phase-III) (600 MW) would be ready in 2015, while Neelum Jhelum Hydel (969 MW), Golen Gol (106 MW) and Patrind HPP would start generating electricity in 2016.

As per the survey report, Tabela 4th Extension (1410 MW) and coal plant at Sahiwal would be fully operational by 2017 while 1320 MW each from coal power plants at Jamshoro and Larkana, and 6600 MW from Gaddani Power Park would be added to the national grid system in 2018.

The Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) was also producing electricity through three nuclear plants, including Karachi Nuclear Power Plant (KANUPP), Chashma Unit 1 (C-1) and Chashma Unit 2 (C-2), while construction of two more Units C-3 and C-4 of 340 MW each was in progress, said the sources.

The construction of fourth and fifth nuclear plants, Chashma Nuclear Power Plant Unit 3 and 4 at Chashma site was ahead of the schedule, while domes on containment buildings of C-3 and C-4 had already been placed in March this year, which would be ready by April 2016 and December 2016 respectively.

The sources said the PAEC was also implementing nuclear programme 2030 set by Energy Security Plan of the government and the ground-breaking ceremony of Karachi Coastal Power Project (K-2 and K-3) was held on November 26, 2013.

Pakistan being the fifth largest sugarcane producers in the world has the potential to generate electricity of almost 2200 MW through co-generation.

p2prada

Even we get such plans on paper. How will it be implemented?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles