Exclusive! 'ISI kept Osama as asset, knows where Mullah Omar is'

Blackwater

Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence ran a special desk that was concerned solely with handling Osama as an intelligence asset.'

'Some dream that the Taliban's flag will fly again over Kabul.'

'Musharraf was aware of the plans to assassinate Benazir and did nothing'

New York Times reporter Carlotta Gall, author of the stunning new book The Wrong Enemy: America in Afghanistan, speaks to Rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa in an exclusive interview.

Carlotta Gall was punched in the face by Pakistani intelligence agents who broke into her hotel room and confiscated her phone and computer in 2006.

She was probably digging up too much dirt about Pakistan's Inter Services Intelligence hobnobbing with Osama bin Laden, who was shot dead May 2 three years ago during a raid by US Navy SEALs in Abbottabad in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region.

Having covering Afghanistan and Pakistan for The New York Times for over a decade, the British journalist is convinced -- in her new book titled The Wrong Enemy: America in Afghanistan -- that the Pakistani establishment was protecting Osama as an intelligence asset.

She spoke exclusively to Rediff.com's Vicky Nanjappa.

How has your book, The Wrong Enemy: America in Afghanistan been received?

It has been well-received in the United States. There has been strong media interest in the revelations about the ISI hiding Osama and Pakistan's role in supporting the Taliban and undermining the US and NATO mission in Afghanistan.

Many Americans understood this when Osama was discovered to be living in Abbottabad in 2011, but this book has reinforced those suppositions.

A few people have cast doubt on the book's claims, but I have also had many messages from senior officials, diplomats and military officers commending my work and telling me it is accurate. So far, the reviews have treated my thesis seriously and been favourable about the book.

Exclusive! 'ISI kept Osama as asset, knows where Mullah Omar is' - Rediff.com News

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles