Russia to develop naval missile defense system

H.A.

A top defense industry official reportedly says Russia plans to develop its own sea-based missile interceptor program similar to the U.S. Aegis system.

A top defense industry official reportedly says Russia plans to develop its own sea-based missile interceptor program similar to the U.S. Aegis system.

The Aegis radar systems technology is carried by warships with missile interceptors and can destroy missiles mid-flight. It is part of the U.S.-led NATO plan to deploy missile defense elements in Europe that has long irritated Moscow.

The U.S. says Aegis would stave off threats from rogue nations such as Iran. Moscow contends it would undermine Russia's nuclear forces.

Anatoly Shlemov of the United Shipbuilding Company told the RIA Novosti news agency Friday that the Kremlin "has definitely assigned a task" for Russia's defense industry to come up with naval missile interceptors.

Shlemov refused to elaborate because the plans are classified.

Russia to develop naval missile defense system | Nation & World | The Seattle Times

Austin

Thats just the Navalised S-500 and the S-400, This would arm the 6 new Nuclear Powered Destroyer ( 13,000 T ) and new Air Craft Carrier as was confirmed by Navy Chief

The S-500 is designed to hit ICBM and LEO sats and S-400 ( 40N6 missile and 48N6 ) is designed to hit IRBM missile with a range of 3500-2500 Km

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we too should invest in such system. It is must if you want to be true superpower.

p2prada

S-400 and S-500 type systems are worthless if they want to use it as a BMD system. They need missiles that are capable of mid course interception like the SM-3.

S-400/500, PAC-3, Sea Sparrow, Aster 30, Barak 8, AAD/PAD are all point defence systems and are useful only if the target they are supposed to be protecting is attacked.

If the Russians only want protection from AShMs and aircraft then S0400/500 is not good either. They need something like Barak 8 or Sea Sparrow which are much more maneuverable and have no BMD capability. If they are aiming for this then it won't be AEGIS equivalent.

Only the US has deployed Mid course interceptors with AEGIS and THAAD, both of which are Area defence systems. China has demonstrated the anti-sat weapon and the mid course interception which can be converted to an AEGIS equivalent. India has already started with a similar program for Phase 2, but it is land based. Well, it is good enough considering most of the nuke firepower will come over land. I think PDV will be THAAD's analogue with an engagement altitude of 150Km.

Now, modify PDV for installation on ships, get something like Swordfish on large destroyers and we have our own indigenous AEGIS.

john70

Country flag
Russia to Develop sea based missile defense system similar to Aegis

Russia is set to develop a sea based missile defense program similar to the U.S. Aegis system, a senior defense industry official said on Friday.

http://indiandefencenews.in/russia-to-develop-sea-based-missile-defense-system-similar-to-aegis/

Russia is set to develop a sea based missile defense program similar to the U.S. Aegis system, a senior defense industry official said on Friday.

Aegis, designed to intercept ballistic missiles at the post-boost phase and prior to reentry, is part of the U.S. national missile defense strategy.

"This task has been assigned to [the defense] industry," said Anatoly Shlemov, head of the state defense contracts department at the United Shipbuilding Corporation.

Aegis analogs are being developed at companies affiliated with PVO Almaz-Antei [an air defense concern]," he said.

He declined to elaborate citing the classified nature of the topic.
The Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System (Aegis BMD) is a United States Department of Defense Missile Defense Agency program developed to provide defense against ballistic missiles.

It is part of the United States national missile defense strategy. Aegis BMD (also known as Sea-Based Midcourse) is designed to intercept ballistic missiles post-boost phase and prior to reentry.

It enables warships to shoot down enemy ballistic missiles, by expanding the Aegis Combat System with the addition of the AN/SPY-1 radar and Standard missile technologies. Aegis BMD-equipped vessels can transmit their target detection information to the Ground-Based Midcourse Defense system and, if needed, engage potential threats using either the SM-2 or SM-3 missile.

The current system uses the Lockheed Martin Aegis Weapon System and the Raytheon RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 (SM-3).

Austin

S-400 and S-500 type systems are worthless if they want to use it as a BMD system. They need missiles that are capable of mid course interception like the SM-3.
S-500 systems are like SM-3 only but with more energy and S-400 has 4 missile under it and are quite capable intercepting Aircraft and BM depending on the missile.

A Barak-8 equivalent in S-400 series would be the 9M98E1 with a range of 120 km and max altitude of 40 km , the 9M98E has a range of 40 km , it has much longer legs than Barak-8

p2prada

S-500 systems are like SM-3 only but with more energy and S-400 has 4 missile under it and are quite capable intercepting Aircraft and BM depending on the missile.
The 40N6 is the analogue of THAAD. Damn, I completely forgot about it. Thanks for reminding.

A Barak-8 equivalent in S-400 series would be the 9M98E1 with a range of 120 km and max altitude of 40 km , the 9M98E has a range of 40 km , it has much longer legs than Barak-8
Is the 9M98E a new development? Something related to S-500, I have only read about 9M96.

p2prada

There were reports of P-17A being equipped with AEGIS. I wonder if it is true.

The Chinese plans for the Type 052D could make anybody uneasy. I read about the 10 simultaneous releases within a few years.

This apart from the Russian Aegis type destroyers that you mentioned.

Both make our destroyer project small with P-15A and B turning out to be Frigate level compared to these larger ships. Maybe a P-15C...

Austin

The Russian Gorshkov class Frigate are similar to well more like IN P-15A/B ( have 4 faced AESA system and VLS system ) , But the ability to destroy BM is something only USN Aegis has demonstrated and have atm.

p2prada

Gorshkov? I don't think so. It's tonnage is very similar to the Krivak III. P-15A and B are much bigger.

I am not sure even if the radar is at the same level as the MF-STAR.

Austin

Gorshkov class will carry the 9M96E and E1 SAM not the big missile of S-400 series but 9M96 is comparable to Aster-15 and 30 in range and performance.

Gorshkov is a 4000 T plus ship but final tonnage and specification has not been disclosed.

These days ships are modular and can carry more missile , engines are more effecient and you can get higher range from lesser fuel , electronics are more compact and needs less power and cooling ,materials are lighter but more stonger...so there are many factors that can infulence a ship design looking at just the tonnage may not give the right impression , the Sorvemeney ( Pr 956 ) class destroyer weighs a cool 7000 T but is far less powerful then Gorshkov class Frigates.

p2prada

If Gorshkov's specs are not released then there's no point. There was a report which carried the same beam and draught as Shivalik.

According to pack leader, a DP on DFI who is working on Barak 8, says that P-15A will carry 64-80 ready to fire Barak 8s. Maybe a combination of Barak 1 and 8. Also counting 16 Brahmos cells and an X number of Nirbhay cells. By this alone the P-15A exceeds Arleigh Burkes by 20 missiles.

Go through this thread,
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-navy/36568-naval-barak-8-missiles-israel-india.html
Some juicy information there.

Comparatively the newer Arleigh Burke carries 96 missiles and it includes SAMs, AShMs and CMs combo. The Type 052C is also restricted to half the number of SAMs, half the AShMs or LACMs combo as that of P-15A. That's 48+8 = 54 missiles.

Unless Gorshkov is a 7000-8000ton ship, it won't be a P-15A equivalent.

Austin

I doubt if it would carry that huge barak-8 may be a combination of Barak-8 and 1 .

Looking at the specs of Barak-8 http://www.israeldefense.com/_uploads/extraimg/id144(1).jp

They dont really look impressive , At 70 Km its inferior to Aster-30 and 9M96E1 by about 30-40 km

The maximum speed of Aster-30 is Mach 4.5 and 9m96 Mach 3 plus.

Although for IN its a next leap from what they are using.

P-15A is a destroyer and Gorshkov is a frigate so i expect it to be better armed , But most likely the better would be in number of missiles and not in performance.

p2prada

I doubt if it would carry that huge barak-8 may be a combination of Barak-8 and 1 .
Pack leader did say 64-80. Anyway what we know as of today is that there will be 2 x 32 cell Barak 8 on the P-15A. One is right below the bridge and the other is to the aft of the landing pad. So, 64 ready to fire missiles are present. Maybe a new cell design would allow 40 per cell, I don't know. I think only PL can confirm this since he is one of the people integrating it on our ships.

Barak 1 is an entirely different setup with 4 cells of 8 Barak 1 in each.

I think there is a more extended version planned for the P-15B.

P-15A is a destroyer and Gorshkov is a frigate so i expect it to be better armed , But most likely the better would be in number of missiles and not in performance.
I wonder if the Gorshkov would be of the same level as the Shivalik in terms of size and capacity.

Austin

P2P what is the your source of information on 2x32 cell VLS for P-15A , I mean any thing authentic from MDL or IN that would be interesting indeed ?

Barak-1 is really geting old CIWS for new ships we need to move to more modern stuff with IIR/ARH guidance and capable of intercepting supersonic missile.

Gorshkov frigate would be cut above the rest for Russian Navy with a size of frigate and firepower of destroyer , Pretty much every thing that goes in this ship is new nothing taken from past program hence the long delay in operationalising it as many new systems create their own technical problem.

here is a model of the ship recently displayed

http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/15/11/39/27/10753810.jpg

As far as the radar goes they havent said any thing but makers of AESA radar indicates they are developing a new dual X and S band AESA for an advanced corvette 20385 , I suspect we will see this on Gorshkov too

Модель РЛС с АФАР

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
The Russian Gorshkov class Frigate are similar to well more like IN P-15A/B ( have 4 faced AESA system and VLS system ) , But the ability to destroy BM is something only USN Aegis has demonstrated and have atm.
Gorshkov is an upgraded version of Grigorovich Class which is just a Talwar Version.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles