Two Epic Finnish war movies

jouni

Here is for your enjoyment two epic war movies. Finns know these movies by heart and one of them ( Tuntematon Sotilas ) comes from TV on every independence day. They are slow to start when establishing scenes and characters but are quite thrilling. Production values are also quite high and the movies depict the battles without bias. A lot of co-operation with Russians were done filming them. I cannot promise colorful costumes and happy music like in Bollywood, but if you want to learn about Finnish wars and be entertained at the same time I can recommend these.

1. Talvisota ( Winter War )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVE5XBYESuQ

Tells a story of two brothers send to war, based on a famous book.

2. Tuntematon Sotilas ( Unknown soldier )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZYp0QrD2c

Tells a story of a heavy machine gun platoon in the continuation war. Based on a famous book. Every finn knows this book by heart. My personal favourite of all Finnish movies, comparable to Platoon and Letters from Iwo Jima. Better to look the other movie Winter War first, it shows why finns want to take the areas lost to russians back.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Here is for your enjoyment two epic war movies. Finns know these movies by heart and one of them ( Tuntematon Sotilas ) comes from TV on every independence day. They are slow to start when establishing scenes and characters but are quite thrilling. Production values are also quite high and the movies depict the battles without bias. A lot of co-operation with Russians were done filming them. I cannot promise colorful costumes and happy music like in Bollywood, but if you want to learn about Finnish wars and be entertained at the same time I can recommend these.

1. Talvisota ( Winter War )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVE5XBYESuQ

Tells a story of two brothers send to war, based on a famous book.

2. Tuntematon Sotilas ( Unknown soldier )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZYp0QrD2c

Tells a story of a heavy machine gun platoon in the continuation war. Based on a famous book. Every finn knows this book by heart. My personal favourite of all Finnish movies, comparable to Platoon and Letters from Iwo Jima. Better to look the other movie Winter War first, it shows why finns want to take the areas lost to russians back.
Propaganda alert :mod:

Nothing wrong with it, you are posting your view of things, but then when you whine about Russi propaganda all the while posting your own propaganda, it makes you look a little hypocritical. :)
I'll watch the movies, coz I like war movies, but I'll also keep in mind that it is likely to be NATO propaganda.

I cannot promise colorful costumes and happy music like in Bollywood,
Just curious, how many "bollywood" movies have you watched ?

Last edited:

jouni

Nothing wrong with it, you are posting your view of things, but then when you whine about Russi propaganda all the while posting your own propaganda, it makes you look a little hypocritical. :)
I'll watch the movies, coz I like war movies, but I'll also keep in mind that it is likely to be NATO propaganda.

These movies were done in the eighties when Finland and Soviet Union had "Friendship and co-operation pact", now these movies are blamed by some to be too friendly to SU, so I can promise you these are not NATO propaganda. Also the book was written in the fifties. I must confess that I have not watched many Bollywood movies, maybe my opinions about them come from some stereotypes. If you recommend me some good ones, I promise to watch.

sydsnyper

Country flag
Whats wrong with beating your own nationalist drums, as long as you are not a paki???

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
These movies were done in the eighties when Finland and Soviet Union had "Friendship and co-operation pact", now these movies are blamed by some to be too friendly to SU, so I can promise you these are not NATO propaganda. Also the book was written in the fifties. I must confess that I have not watched many Bollywood movies, maybe my opinions about them come from some stereotypes. If you recommend me some good ones, I promise to watch.
Well I would ask you to watch "Taare Zaamen Par","Laagan" and "3 Idiots".

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Whats wrong with beating your own nationalist drums, as long as you are not a paki???
As already mentioned in the second line of my previous post (which you quoted): Nothing.
:)

sydsnyper

Country flag
And if you want to learn about the greatest living warrior of India, a man who could take on entire platoons, watch Rajanikant movies....

jouni

If you watch these, please write some comments on this thread. It would be nice to know your opinion about these movies. You must have interesting comments, coming so far and different culture.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
These movies were done in the eighties when Finland and Soviet Union had "Friendship and co-operation pact", now these movies are blamed by some to be too friendly to SU, so I can promise you these are not NATO propaganda. Also the book was written in the fifties.
Okay.
I must confess that I have not watched many Bollywood movies, maybe my opinions about them come from some stereotypes.
It was clear to me from early on that most of your ideas of India come not from your own mind but from some other sources, which in your case is Western, which in general potrays India as mystical, dirty, IT, and as you mentioned "colorful costumes and happy music"
If you recommend me some good ones, I promise to watch.
For starters, there are many "woods" in India: bollywood, mollywood, tollywood, kollywood and so on. Each have produced their own gems.
But since you asked for bollywood: "3 Idiots", "Taare Zameen par", "Udaan" from the top of my head. Disclaimer: Two of these movies don't have your colorful songs and dances.
But unfortunately: Just as I will not be able to fully appreciate Finnish movies, you will not be able to fully appreciate Indian movies, because of cultural and social differences. Also most of the comedy will probably fly over your head.

Last edited:

apple

Yes, Razor's comments were ridiculous. But "Talvisota" is A) a terrible film B) Pohjanmaa propaganda. "Tuntematon Sotilas" is not too friendly to the Soviet Union (you posted the wrong version BTW). Eino Linna walked the hard yards.

jouni

Yes, Razor's comments were ridiculous. But "Talvisota" is A) a terrible film B) Pohjanmaa propaganda. "Tuntematon Sotilas" is not too friendly to the Soviet Union (you posted the wrong version BTW). Eino Linna walked the hard yards.
Talvisota as a film is inferior to "Tuntematon", but still on top 3 of Finnish war films. ( Tuntematon, Sissit, Talvisota ). Talvisota also gives good description of Winter war for somebody not familiar. One critic for Talvisota is that the characters has less depth than in Tuntematon. You can clearly see that it was a jubileum film for the 50th memorial day of winter war. When you compare it to Tuntematon, you can clearly see that the director of Tuntematon Rauli Molberg was at the height of his career and could follow his vision of the film without compromises.

Regarding Tuntematon, I like this version better than the old one. This has real quality in acting, storytelling, photography etc. It is not as nostalgic than old Tuntematon and that is why it was crushed by critics, also it is not pro Soviet. It only shows warfare like it was. It also has less "hero myth" than Talvisota.

It has been almost 30 years since these were made and nothing comparable has been done since. BTW they are preparing 3rd Tuntematon film for the 100 years jubileum of Finnish independence at 2017. Basically only war film that came after Tuntematon and is in the same league are IMHO Letters from Iwo Jima and Thin Red Line.

Regarding "Pohjanmaa propaganda", the guys from Pohjanmaa -region are the Gurgkhas of Finland. When continuation war began, they had to be tied with ropes to trees to stop them starting the attack beforehand ;).

Last edited:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I will definitely watch. I love war movies. Maybe this weekend.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
@jouni,

This clip is from an all time classic of Indian cinema. I daresay, there has not been a film of this type.

Classic Fight on the train - Sholay - YouTube
I agree Sholay is the greatest Indian movie ever made. However I would like to point out that the concept of Sholay,whose script was written by Salim and Javed, was not original. Sholay was actually a rip of the Clint Eastwood type Western films. I did not know this till I came across an article in the Telegraph about Sholay. Fortunately after watching a few Western films I think this might be true.

ACTION MOVIES The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Full Movie! EPIC MOVIE] Clint EastWood - YouTube

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) Full Movie - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I agree Sholay is the greatest Indian movie ever made. However I would like to point out that the concept of Sholay,whose script was written by Salim and Javed, was not original. Sholay was actually a rip of the Clint Eastwood type Western films. I did not know this till I came across an article in the Telegraph about Sholay. Fortunately after watching a few Western films I think this might be true.

ACTION MOVIES The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Full Movie! EPIC MOVIE] Clint EastWood - YouTube

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) Full Movie - YouTube
Have you seen the two movies: "The Good, the Bad..." and "Once upon a Time in the West" ?
Sholay is not a rip off, but there are some similarities.

Btw the "Once upon a time" movie series, "The Good, the ...", "Magnificent Seven" and several other Hollywood movies of that era, were either rip offs of, or heavily influenced by the works of Akira Kurosawa, a Japanese director.
This guy was a giant. And his movies like "Seven Samurai", Rashomon" " Kagemusha", "Yojimbo" are true epics.
A lot of copying is done by Hollywood too, without giving credit were it is due. A recent example is Martin Scorcese's movie "Departed" (starring dicaprio) which is near identical copy of Chinese movie "Infernal Affairs" part 1. No credit was given to the Chinese movie. PS: The Chinese movie was way better; it gets better in parts 2,3.

PPS: Did you mean "fortunately" or "unfortunately" in your post ?

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles