Why every world map you're looking at is WRONG

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
They should raise this in United Nations as it is imprinting false information in Peoples head. Then again our Government is too busy sucking Blood and money out of people when will they get time for all this?
Actually the UN is a western dominated organization.4 out of 5 veto members are from the West.They hardly listen to our problems.The organizations like IMF,etc are nothing but American companies posing as international ones.So naturally they would favour the Euro centric maps.Till India becomes a superpower we can do nothing against this western mafia.Maybe in 30-40 years when we will reach our goal, things would change for the better.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
They should raise this in United Nations as it is imprinting false information in Peoples head. Then again our Government is too busy sucking Blood and money out of people when will they get time for all this?
Tell me you are joking.

The reason and accusations given by some in this thread are wrong and funny.
The fact that far Northern and Southern latitudes appear enlarged is because of the choice of poles and because the Earth has a near spheroid shape (with some minor surface irregularities). Given the above two facts when you try to represent the earth on a flat surface, there is distortion. The reason Mercator projection became popular is because of ease in navigation of ships.
If one of the poles had been on the surface of India then India would appear enlarged. I hope you understand this.
Now you may ask why the poles where chosen to be where it is now. Well, because of N-S direction which was determined using the North star.

Basically the shape of land masses in a map is determined by the projection used and there are several projections, each with its own advantages and shortcomings.
If you want to see the (more or less) actual shape of land masses then refer Google Earth etc.

Last edited:

shinoj

Tihar Jail
Banned
Tell me you are joking.

The fact that far Northern and Southern latitudes appear enlarged is because of the choice of poles and because the Earth has a near spheroid shape (with some minor surface irregularities). Given the above two facts when you try to represent the earth on a flat surface, there is distortion. The reason Mercator projection became popular is because of ease in navigation of ships.
If one of the poles had been on the surface of India then India would appear enlarged. I hope you understand this.
Now you may ask why the poles where chosen to be where it is now. Well, because of N-S direction which was determined using the North star.
Its far from perfect. And the way to represent it in a Flat surface is that there should be minimum distortion from the Spherical Shape to the Planar shape.

Are you telling me this is the Best that the geographists can come up with?

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Tell me you are joking.

Basically the shape of land masses in a map is determined by the projection used and there are several projections, each with its own advantages and shortcomings.
If you want to see the (more or less) actual shape of land masses then refer Google Earth etc.
Actually shinoj was saying an alternative map like Peter`s map(which describes India correctly but is not suited for navigation) could be used or not.There is a very low error map called winkel tripel projection.Also using a computer you can build your own 2d models of 3d spheroids.(i have forgotten how it was done though I remember you could do it)

Here`s a better map

Winkel tripel projection

Winkel tripel projection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

shinoj

Tihar Jail
Banned
Actually the UN is a western dominated organization.4 out of 5 veto members are from the West.They hardly listen to our problems.The organizations like IMF,etc are nothing but American companies posing as international ones.So naturally they would favour the Euro centric maps.Till India becomes a superpower we can do nothing against this western mafia.Maybe in 30-40 years when we will reach our goal, things would change for the better.
That is the Root of all Problems. Isnt it? The Powerful West would not bother to listen to our problems. The Only solution is for us to get so powerful that we need not beg in front of them again .

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Its far from perfect. And the way to represent it in a Flat surface is that there should be minimum distortion from the Spherical Shape to the Planar shape.

Are you telling me this is the Best that the geographists can come up with?
No, I am not telling you that this is the best.
As I said before the Mercator projection became standard for navigation of ships because of convenience in the early days of exploration.
You can not use the same medicine for all types of diseases, the mercator had its purpose whereby it became popular.
If you want a projection which represents landmass size as they are, go for other projections. But they'll also have some defects.

The projection below offers lesser distortion in landmass area but distorts angles.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
That is the Root of all Problems. Isnt it? The Powerful West would not bother to listen to our problems. The Only solution is for us to get so powerful that we need not beg in front of them again .
Well by the time we get powerful(hopefully in 30 years) maps will become obsolete.By then 3d models(globes) will be available to all.But then again I maybe fantasizing things too far.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles