Lorries, Trucks and Prime Movers

Krusty

Country flag
I think instead of having fancy TEL, i would prefer missiles in standard shipping containers, its easy to hide those from satellites.

Just imagine, with lots of standard shipping containers going up and down its headache for any enemy satellite and tracking.

On the other hand enemy with good satellites and super computers with digital data can identify

This and track its location and hanger or bunkers. Thereafter as these massive trucks needs large curve roads, etc would be easy to track and even destroy. But with standard missile container it will cause headache to enemy.

This is Club/klub missile within shipping container.
How is a good rugged TEL fancy? We can mod any TEL to look like a container trailer. But they work when you actually keep the ICBM/missile on the road at all times. USA/Russia/China have rugged TELs for a reason. Hiding missiles in public as a container cannot be don'e for Long periods of time for practical purposes. The current Agni TEL is Super Long (hinders manoeuvrability) and you really can't take it off-road where an 8x8 or a 10x10 will have no problem at all.
On the other hand the Ashok Leyland with the trailer will he beyond hopeless off road compared to the proper 10x10 or 12x12. Can't Turn tight, can't move fast, can't climb or descend slopes. Whereas tatras off road prowess is legendary. I'm just saying we have the businesses to pursue this, yet we don't.

Especially useful where Bridges cannot be laid or have been damaged/destroyed. I do not imagine Tata or AL trucks doing this ..

IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG

Sorry but can we have a seperate thread for TEL if there isn't already?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Furthermore, most Indian land based ICBMs are in fact rail mounted, very few will be employed using a road going TEL.
If they are mounted on rails, given the sort of delays our trains face, we'll be late in launching our ICBM :laugh:
I can't see any TEL in the world attempting to do that if its carrying a nuke in the rear :biggrin2:
To be fair, that is not the picture of a deployed missile. The truck carries the MoD banner. Also, I believe, off-roading TEL are a strict requirement for tactical missile systems. For strategic missiles with huge ranges, these are not so easy for the enemy to target, so here, the requirement of off-road capability is not that pressing.

Krusty

Country flag
I can't see any TEL in the world attempting to do that if its carrying a nuke in the rear :biggrin2:
It was meant to make a point about ability of the platform off-road :)

To be fair, that is not the picture of a deployed missile. The truck carries the MoD banner. Also, I believe, off-roading TEL are a strict requirement for tactical missile systems. For strategic missiles with huge ranges, these are not so easy for the enemy to target, so here, the requirement of off-road capability is not that pressing.
Mainly USA doesn't have such a rugged off-road TEL for their strategic missiles because it's near impossible to pull off a surprise Attack on their strategic assets thanks to their geographical location and NORAD. So they don't have to move them around too much.
Same cannot be said for Russia and China, they are surrounded by hostile countries and adversary military assets that can perform surprise attacks leaving them with very little time to react. Both have highly capable 12x12 and 16x16 TELs even for their strategic missiles. India also falls under the same category but our TELs are pathetic to say the least.

Russia:
IMG_3823.JPG

China:
IMG_3824.JPG

@pmaitra @sayareakd requesting you to move the TEL related posts to this thread. Just found it. We can continue the TEL related discussion there.

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
Some details about the truck-tractor-Tankovoze Ural-6308

Almost a year ago, our blog, wrote about the appearance of the tractor unit from the family of "Tornado-U" 8x8 spring suspension on rear axles. In the latest issue of the magazine "Auto Review" article "of Oshkosh in Uralsk a four Ural vehicles for transportation of tanks" Fedor Lapshin said new details about this car.

Thus, according to the author, the first machine image appeared in the desk calendar production of JSC "Automobile Plant" Ural "for 2016. Text states that this URAL-6308 from the perspective of a family of" Tornado-U "(with frame-panel cockpit, where the panel It can be either composite or of bronestali) and Dunn option - conveyor for UAV But when the car shown in the closed part of the forum "Army 2016", it turned out that the frame stands coupling seat I mean, it tankovoz...

Judging by the fact that tankovoza engine will develop at least 550-600 hp (as stated ), Quite An opportunity that pesrpektive under the hood will be the newest inline YaMZ-780. Its working volume of 12.4 liters, production should start in 2018. By the time URAL certain experience and unusual rear suspension, which is independent and spring, wherein judging by the design of the chassis, the wheels of the rear axle - thrusters.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2737677.html

Prashant12

Country flag
Review: Ashok Leyland Super Stallion FAT 6x6

Have I reached the wrong place?
No. Unless you were searching for something else on the Internet that, er, we don’t offer, and somehow ended up here.

I mean, what’s this massive machine?
This massive machine is Ashok Leyland’s Super Stallion FAT (Field Artillery Tractor) 6x6.

That’s a handful.
It may seem so. But the name is rather self-explanatory. It’s a towing vehicle for artillery with 6x6 traction. Artillery in this case meaning weapons like the Bofors gun.

Heavy. But must be a beast of an engine.
Literally. Six litres, six cylinders, 450 horsepower.

Hey, that’s not much.
In hindsight, you are right. A Grand Cherokee SRT has a bigger engine and makes more horses.

So what’s so beastly in the engine?
The torque. The FAT 6x6 makes 1400Nm of it.

Wow. That’s a lot of pulling power.
That’s not all. It makes this 1400Nm of pulling power with the engine spinning at just 1300rpm. We bet you aren’t going to get a passenger car that makes more power or torque than its engine revolutions.

Incredible. This must make this FAT 6x6 quite a scorcher…
It does. But ‘scorcher’ here is quite not the ‘scorcher’ you expect it.

In the sense?

Don’t expect 0-100 times. The FAT 6x6 runs out of breath at 90kph. But speed is not the ware the gun carrier peddles.

Isn’t it useful to get around the battlefield, er, fast?
Not as much as getting around as such. But what all it can get around and over of.

You mean, like different terrain?
Of course. And boy, can this thing tackle terrain. In fact, not only terrain. It can withstand a lot of torture.

Oh, is it bullet proof?
No it doesn’t need to be. The FAT 6x6 doesn’t actually have to get into the line of fire. It’s a carrier for long range guns. So it mostly sees duty besides the gun as they fire into the distance. But the challenge is always getting the gun to the strategic spot which may involve climbing something steep, fording something deep, or just going over terrain the limbed wouldn’t walk over.

So, can the FAT 6x6 tackle terrain?
Oh, you bet. In fact, we did not know terrain like this existed before we tackled them in this military monster.

Terrain like what?
Firstly, Leyland’s research and development centre has a variety of torture tracks… surfaces that thoroughly wring the suspension inside out. There are massive rumblers, boulders, potholes, and the one surface that will leave your bones rattling even after you are done tackling it.

What’s that?
What Leyland calls a pave way. Think of it as a cobbled-stoned street multiplied by 50. All Leyland vehicles go through this intense torture test for 24 hours at a stretch. Drivers take 45 minutes shifts each.

Is the pave way that tough?
I was inside the truck for about 15 minutes for photos and by the time I got out, 15 felt like 50 minutes and I had a quick check if my bones will still where they were supposed to be. This little shake-up or shake-down rather was like being inside a consistent earthquake.

What are its other talents?

The FAT 6x6 can climb up a 25 degree incline. Now, I have been on rather steep off-road jaunts. Even if not on such steep ones. Yet, I am familiar with the feeling of having all of my food at the back of my intestines as I drive up something steep and have that unnerving sight of nothing-but-sky out of my windshield. But despite all off-road tech available to modern passenger cars, one thing was unavoidable.

Momentum?
That’s right. I’d always have to reverse a distance and build up some speed before having any hope of making it up and over.

So even the FAT 6x6 would need some?
Oh no. The FAT groans its way to the foot of the incline, comes to a complete halt, and on an incline so steep that humans can’t walk up or down without support, this machine roars its way up like a Tata Nano goes up the ramp of a multi-storey car park. It needs to be in the lowest gear, and makes some noises when grunting up, but the 6x6 goes up in one clean move. It goes around and does the climb again. Again. And again.

Must be that torque.

How right you are. I repeat. 1400Nm at 1300rpm-1500rpm, in case you missed it.

Did you drive it?

As I don’t have a commercial vehicle license I wasn’t entrusted with challenges like negotiating inclines, tackling torture tracks and driving over surfaces that test the articulation of this beast that stands a good 400mm off the ground. But I did drive it over a normal surface.

And?
Putting it in first was an issue at first. I used to shove the gear stick with maximum force. But just figured all it needed was a firm, short push. As the six-cylinder engine redlined at a mere 2500rpm, it meant quick gear changes for quick progress. It was only by sixth gear in that nine-speed manual gearbox that I could feel the vehicle making any swift progress. In Army duties, I reckon this Stallion will mostly be sticking to the first four gears. Shifting gears in this thing wasn’t exactly a breeze. I am not in a position to comment on heavy vehicle ergonomics, but with all the even gear ratios, second, fourth, sixth… your arm does have to reach out to the rear to get a firm grip for that firm shove. The steering is is light and makes the vehicle easy to manoeuvre around curves.

Does it handle and brake well?
Braking takes some getting used to. If you are gentle, the behemoth takes a while to shave off speed. If you stomp on the brakes, this juggernaut comes to an immediate, unnerving halt. Surely, being smooth with this thing takes some practise. Reversing isn’t much of a problem thanks to a reverse camera. In fact, you can’t exactly call it a reverse cam as it’s primarily meant for the driver to load, unload and tow the gun at the rear. Besides, the reverse screen doesn’t get activated when you engage reverse gear. It remains on permanently.

Wow a reversing cam. Any other comfort features?
Noisy, but powerful air-conditioning with intense heating and cooling. The FAT 6x6 is, after all, designed to operate at -40 deg to 55 deg Celsius.

What about the tyres? They are usually the weak link in a tough vehicle.

In the FAT 6x6, the tyres are tougher than the vehicle itself. It has a centralised tyre inflation and deflation system. The driver can increase and reduce the tyre pressure from inside the cabin depending on the terrain the FAT 6x6 needs to tackle. Besides, the tyres – all six of the obviously – are locked to the rim. So even if there’s a severe puncture that takes the tyres to zero psi, the rubber remains on the rim ensuring the 6x6 never has to scrape the terrain with its wheels and the driver retains better control of the entire vehicle.

Incredible this thing is.

Quite. Rather than a war machine that destructs, the Super Stallion is a machine that protects and endures. For something this side of a tank, it can take quite a beating.

http://www.topgear.com/india/car-news/review-ashok-leyland-super-stallion-fat-6x6/itemid-50

bhramos

Country flag
Wheeled chassis K-78501 Platform-O Rocket in the exposition of the Army 2017 Forum

The opening of the 3rd International Military Technical Forum "Army-2017", which opens on August 22, 2017 in Kubinka near Moscow, among other things, Will be exhibited a new wheeled chassis K-78501 with a wheel formula 8x8 high-modular platform developed by the Special Vehicles Plant of Remdizel JSC (Naberezhnye Chelny) for the OC Platform-O. Earlier this chassis was first demonstrated openly in Naberezhnye Chelny on Victory Day on May 9, 2017. In the exposition of the forum "Army-2017" this chassis is presented in the version of the transport-installation unit 15T528. Photographs of Vitaly Kuzmin from the preparation of the exposition of the forum "Army-2017".

2) The transport-installation unit 15T528 on the basis of the new wheeled chassis K-78501 with the wheel formula 8x8 of the Special Removals Plant of Remdizel JSC (Naberezhnye Chelny) for the OC Platform-O, in the exposition of the 3rd International Military Technical Forum " Army-2017 ". Kubinka, August 14, 2017 (c) Vitaly Kuzmin / www.facebook.

Com / 77RUS 3) Transport-installation unit 15T528 on the basis of the new wheeled chassis K-78501 with the wheel formula 8x8 of the development of the Special Vehicles Plant of Remdizel JSC (Naberezhnye Chelny) for the OC Platform-O, in the exposition of the 3rd International Military- Technical forum "Army-2017". Kubinka, August 14, 2017 (c) Vitaly Kuzmin / www.facebook.com/77RUS

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2786120.html

Krusty

Country flag
Review: Ashok Leyland Super Stallion FAT 6x6

Have I reached the wrong place?
No. Unless you were searching for something else on the Internet that, er, we don’t offer, and somehow ended up here.

I mean, what’s this massive machine?
This massive machine is Ashok Leyland’s Super Stallion FAT (Field Artillery Tractor) 6x6.

That’s a handful.
It may seem so. But the name is rather self-explanatory. It’s a towing vehicle for artillery with 6x6 traction. Artillery in this case meaning weapons like the Bofors gun.

Heavy. But must be a beast of an engine.
Literally. Six litres, six cylinders, 450 horsepower.

Hey, that’s not much.
In hindsight, you are right. A Grand Cherokee SRT has a bigger engine and makes more horses.

So what’s so beastly in the engine?
The torque. The FAT 6x6 makes 1400Nm of it.

Wow. That’s a lot of pulling power.
That’s not all. It makes this 1400Nm of pulling power with the engine spinning at just 1300rpm. We bet you aren’t going to get a passenger car that makes more power or torque than its engine revolutions.

Incredible. This must make this FAT 6x6 quite a scorcher…
It does. But ‘scorcher’ here is quite not the ‘scorcher’ you expect it.

In the sense?

Don’t expect 0-100 times. The FAT 6x6 runs out of breath at 90kph. But speed is not the ware the gun carrier peddles.

Isn’t it useful to get around the battlefield, er, fast?
Not as much as getting around as such. But what all it can get around and over of.

You mean, like different terrain?
Of course. And boy, can this thing tackle terrain. In fact, not only terrain. It can withstand a lot of torture.

Oh, is it bullet proof?
No it doesn’t need to be. The FAT 6x6 doesn’t actually have to get into the line of fire. It’s a carrier for long range guns. So it mostly sees duty besides the gun as they fire into the distance. But the challenge is always getting the gun to the strategic spot which may involve climbing something steep, fording something deep, or just going over terrain the limbed wouldn’t walk over.

So, can the FAT 6x6 tackle terrain?
Oh, you bet. In fact, we did not know terrain like this existed before we tackled them in this military monster.

Terrain like what?
Firstly, Leyland’s research and development centre has a variety of torture tracks… surfaces that thoroughly wring the suspension inside out. There are massive rumblers, boulders, potholes, and the one surface that will leave your bones rattling even after you are done tackling it.

What’s that?
What Leyland calls a pave way. Think of it as a cobbled-stoned street multiplied by 50. All Leyland vehicles go through this intense torture test for 24 hours at a stretch. Drivers take 45 minutes shifts each.

Is the pave way that tough?
I was inside the truck for about 15 minutes for photos and by the time I got out, 15 felt like 50 minutes and I had a quick check if my bones will still where they were supposed to be. This little shake-up or shake-down rather was like being inside a consistent earthquake.

What are its other talents?

The FAT 6x6 can climb up a 25 degree incline. Now, I have been on rather steep off-road jaunts. Even if not on such steep ones. Yet, I am familiar with the feeling of having all of my food at the back of my intestines as I drive up something steep and have that unnerving sight of nothing-but-sky out of my windshield. But despite all off-road tech available to modern passenger cars, one thing was unavoidable.

Momentum?
That’s right. I’d always have to reverse a distance and build up some speed before having any hope of making it up and over.

So even the FAT 6x6 would need some?
Oh no. The FAT groans its way to the foot of the incline, comes to a complete halt, and on an incline so steep that humans can’t walk up or down without support, this machine roars its way up like a Tata Nano goes up the ramp of a multi-storey car park. It needs to be in the lowest gear, and makes some noises when grunting up, but the 6x6 goes up in one clean move. It goes around and does the climb again. Again. And again.

Must be that torque.

How right you are. I repeat. 1400Nm at 1300rpm-1500rpm, in case you missed it.

Did you drive it?

As I don’t have a commercial vehicle license I wasn’t entrusted with challenges like negotiating inclines, tackling torture tracks and driving over surfaces that test the articulation of this beast that stands a good 400mm off the ground. But I did drive it over a normal surface.

And?
Putting it in first was an issue at first. I used to shove the gear stick with maximum force. But just figured all it needed was a firm, short push. As the six-cylinder engine redlined at a mere 2500rpm, it meant quick gear changes for quick progress. It was only by sixth gear in that nine-speed manual gearbox that I could feel the vehicle making any swift progress. In Army duties, I reckon this Stallion will mostly be sticking to the first four gears. Shifting gears in this thing wasn’t exactly a breeze. I am not in a position to comment on heavy vehicle ergonomics, but with all the even gear ratios, second, fourth, sixth… your arm does have to reach out to the rear to get a firm grip for that firm shove. The steering is is light and makes the vehicle easy to manoeuvre around curves.

Does it handle and brake well?
Braking takes some getting used to. If you are gentle, the behemoth takes a while to shave off speed. If you stomp on the brakes, this juggernaut comes to an immediate, unnerving halt. Surely, being smooth with this thing takes some practise. Reversing isn’t much of a problem thanks to a reverse camera. In fact, you can’t exactly call it a reverse cam as it’s primarily meant for the driver to load, unload and tow the gun at the rear. Besides, the reverse screen doesn’t get activated when you engage reverse gear. It remains on permanently.

Wow a reversing cam. Any other comfort features?
Noisy, but powerful air-conditioning with intense heating and cooling. The FAT 6x6 is, after all, designed to operate at -40 deg to 55 deg Celsius.

What about the tyres? They are usually the weak link in a tough vehicle.

In the FAT 6x6, the tyres are tougher than the vehicle itself. It has a centralised tyre inflation and deflation system. The driver can increase and reduce the tyre pressure from inside the cabin depending on the terrain the FAT 6x6 needs to tackle. Besides, the tyres – all six of the obviously – are locked to the rim. So even if there’s a severe puncture that takes the tyres to zero psi, the rubber remains on the rim ensuring the 6x6 never has to scrape the terrain with its wheels and the driver retains better control of the entire vehicle.

Incredible this thing is.

Quite. Rather than a war machine that destructs, the Super Stallion is a machine that protects and endures. For something this side of a tank, it can take quite a beating.

http://www.topgear.com/india/car-news/review-ashok-leyland-super-stallion-fat-6x6/itemid-50

Saar what engine does this vehicle use? 1400Nm isn't a lot of torque by today's standards actually. Don't see the point why this article hypes that number. The veyron supercar even ten years ago had an engine with 1500Nm, and it wasn't even Diesel.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its meant to tow heavy guns such as FH-77 and Dhanush so does ATAGS, For that purpose its gud enough ..

Saar what engine does this vehicle use? 1400Nm isn't a lot of torque by today's standards actually. Don't see the point why this article hypes that number. The veyron supercar even ten years ago had an engine with 1500Nm, and it wasn't even Diesel.

NeXoft007

Country flag
Sorry for Typo..
Anyways, we already have 8x8.. Tata Kestrel and Tata LPTA 3138 are few examples.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles