Alexander the Great Invades India

Param

And who was ruling Afghanistan and Pakistan when the Mauryans captured those reasons? who was Seleucus nicator?Greeks did not do Mauryans a favour, Mauryans fought and won.
Sir one of the biggest mistakes that indians committed in acient times was not to invade foreign lands far from the subcontinet. And because of that we have have to listen to people often belittling us.
And people should stop watching stupid propaganda movies like 300.

Last edited:

Phenom

And who was ruling Afghanistan and Pakistan when the Mauryans captured those reasons? who was Seleucus nicator?Greeks did not do Mauryans a favour, Mauryans fought and won.
Sir one of the biggest mistakes that indians committed in acient times was not to invade foreign lands far from the subcontinet. And because of that we have have to listen to people often belittling us.
And people should stop watching stupid propaganda movies like 300.
But there was nothing to conquer. If you have a wealthy and advanced country, why would you spend your time and money trying to conquest a wasteland. There was nothing beyond the Indus that was worth conquering.

Country flag
'Alexander was defeated' theory seems more compact then the legend of 'Alexander pardoned Porus'...
This pardoning has been claimed for centuries, the validity of this is debatable. Why would Alexander who had conquered using cruelty for thousands of miles suddenly become so benevolent?? The fact that Punjab was the furthest point in his conquest would have him using even more cruelty to keep control over what would be the weakest and most distant part of his conquests/empire?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Looks like Ashoka reached the Age of Enlightenment far before most others did! :)
Absolutely. I myself have made this statement numerous times.

However, Western historians will never accept that an Easterner developed ideas that Europeans did not develop until 2,000 years later.

Param

History is written by the victors.For the past two centuries western civilization has been dominant. And much of the world had to go by what they said. But now the situation in the rest of the world is changing and challenging those old theories by western historians.
Apart from the Persian army what mighty empire did Alexander defeat?

Country flag
History is written by the victors.For the past two centuries western civilization has been dominant. And much of the world had to go by what they said. But now the situation in the rest of the world is changing and challenging those old theories by western historians.
Apart from the Persian army what mighty empire did Alexander defeat?
Greek/Roman civilization gave birth to Western civilization and thought.This became prevalent in the renassaince which brought Europe out of the dark age. The central historical figures will always be presented in a positive manner. Like all civilizations there were many positive and negative things. Things like slavery,homosexuality,transmission of diseases(syphillis) , Man-boy homosexuality,infanticide are swept under the rug. Historians now are starting to reveal Alexander may have been bisexual with a stronger preferrence for Males over females??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11952322

http://www.gay-art-history.org/gay-.../alexander-great-gay/alexander-great-gay.html

http://www.religionfacts.com/homosexuality/ancient_greeks.htm

Param

By the way what is all this benevolence associated with Alexander's conquests? I believe he was human. Unfortunately westerners even today would rather believe the eulogizing historians than be more pragmatic.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
But there was nothing to conquer. If you have a wealthy and advanced country, why would you spend your time and money trying to conquest a wasteland. There was nothing beyond the Indus that was worth conquering.
You are correct, and this is where people misunderstand history. The Mauryans never intended to conquer Afghanistan.

Let's look at this excerpt from Arrian's Syriaca:

"Always lying in wait for the neighboring nations, strong in arms and persuasive in council, he [Selecus Nicator] acquired Mesopotamia, Armenia, 'Seleucid' Cappadocia, Persis, Parthia, Bactria, Arabia, Tapouria, Sogdia, Arachosia, Hyrcania, and other adjacent peoples that had been subdued by Alexander, as far as the river Indus, so that the boundaries of his empire were the most extensive in Asia after that of Alexander. The whole region from Phrygia to the Indus was subject to Seleucus. He crossed the Indus and waged war with Sandrocottus [Chandragupta Maurya], king of the Indians, who dwelt on the banks of that stream, until they came to an understanding with each other and contracted a marriage relationship. Some of these exploits were performed before the death of Antigonus and some afterward."

The Mauryans did not initiate the expansion into Afghanistan. They merely gained the territories as a result of an unsuccessful invasion by the Seleucid Greeks, as the treaty which ended the conflict involved the cession of the provinces of Aria, Arachosia, and Paropamisadae (these three provinces compromise most of present-day Afghanistan) to the Mauryans in 305 B.C.E. This war occurred two decades after the conquests of Alexander, and so it cannot be said that the Mauryans won Afghanistan because Alexander "eliminated the Persians" from the region. Other sources, such as Strabo and Justin, depict a similar course of events.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Mughals were defeated with the help of the British
There were no Anglo-Mughal wars. There were however Anglo-Sikh and Anglo-Maratha wars

The Mughal Empire was destroyed by the Sikhs and the Marathas.

Last edited:

AOE

I wasn't making Alexander out to be benevolent, nor was I sweeping anything under a rug, and paramvir; you are the only one here to bring up 300, which has nothing to do with Alexanders conquests. I merely pointed out that the Indians did not defeat the Persians (the Greeks did), and that a lot of cultural destruction of Indias heritage was happening well before the British even knew India existed, let alone conquered it.

Half the responses here are simply more emotional nationalistic nonsense that bears little importance today when we are talking about something that happened over 2,000 years ago.

Yes I also realize that the British didn't help the Marathas against the Mughals, so that was a mistake on my part.

Last edited:

Param

I wasn't making Alexander out to be benevolent, nor was I sweeping anything under a rug, and paramvir; you are the only one here to bring up 300, which has nothing to do with Alexanders conquests. I merely pointed out that the Indians did not defeat the Persians (the Greeks did), and that a lot of cultural destruction of Indias heritage was happening well before the British even knew India existed, let alone conquered it.

Half the responses here are simply more emotional nationalistic nonsense that bears little importance today when we are talking about something that happened over 2,000 years ago.

Yes I also realize that the British didn't help the Marathas against the Mughals, so that was a mistake on my part.
I know 300 has nothing to do with Alexander. I just meant that it is a fine example of western propaganda trying to portray that they were always better than the rest of the world.

AOE

I know 300 has nothing to do with Alexander. I just meant that it is a fine example of western propaganda trying to portray that they were always better than the rest of the world.
In what way does that movie even convey that message? Have you actually seen the film?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
In what way does that movie even convey that message? Have you actually seen the film?
Have you seen how the film's depicts Persians?

If it had not specifically mentioned the Persians, I would have assumed the fighting was between Greeks and demons from hell.

Nonynon

Hehe yea 300 makes Persians look like monsters. Persians were actually kind of the good guys back then, UNLIKE SPARTA!
But it's not propaganda its just some random comic writer wanting to make Spartans cool actions heroes, no need to say every movie that makes a non western country look bad is propaganda.
Bet you 5$ most Americans can't tell Persians are Iranians anyway.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Hehe yea 300 makes Persians look like monsters. Persians were actually kind of the good guys back then, UNLIKE SPARTA!
But it's not propaganda its just some random comic writer wanting to make Spartans cool actions heroes, no need to say every movie that makes a non western country look bad is propaganda.
It's not propaganda, just really ignorant. If I were Iranian, I would be very offended. I was offended anyway, because I love history and the movie f*cked up the history real bad.

Bet you 5$ most Americans can't tell Persians are Iranians anyway.
I'll keep my $5, you're probably right.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Well, India was death for him..

Though, i respect his military career which was very short and memorable and respected Enemy..

AOE

Have you seen how the film's depicts Persians?

If it had not specifically mentioned the Persians, I would have assumed the fighting was between Greeks and demons from hell.
Yes, but what has this got to do with India? Nothing. What has this have to do with Alexanders conquests? Nothing. This is out of context, and heck kind of ridiculous to compare a Hollywood movie perspective with what real historians think.

Well, India was death for him..

Though, i respect his military career which was very short and memorable and respected Enemy..
Probably one of the few more sober replies in this thread thus far, thank you for the comment Kunal Biswas.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
cultural destruction of Indias heritage was happening well before the British even knew India existed, let alone conquered it.
India's culture survived the Islamic invasions, as it did with every other invasion. The cultural destruction mostly took place in the border regions (i.e. Afghanistan and modern-day Pakistan). Overall, 200 years of British influence were far more destructive to India than 1000 years of Islamic influence, and there is no doubt about this.

Even under Islamic rule, India was the wealthiest country in the world. Under British rule, it was one of the poorest.

During the Colonial Period, over 60 million Indians died due to famines caused by British policy. Famines of such large extent never occurred before or after the Colonial Period.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no point in comparing the British rule with Islamic rule. The attempts of some Western revisionists to rewrite history are truly disgusting. The British were the worst thing to have ever happened to India, period.

Country flag
let's stay on topic a different thread about british colonial rule pros and cons can be started

Phenom

Very true,

300 is not any propaganda, its just Hollywood doing what it does best - distorting history to make money.

Atleast the movie Alexander somewhat correctly depicts the situation that Alexander faced in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles