Old Baloch custom of drinking blood from skulls of their enemies

Pak-sarzameen

In Ber or Hun (Revenge) section of "Baluch Mayar" (Mayar is Baloch National Code of Honor, Ben or Hun is the Baluch's revenge for blood ), i came upon an interesting account,

"Haibat Khan Niazi general of sher shah suri Arrested one son of Mir Chakar Rind and killed him. When Mir Chakar know about that ,he killed Haibat Khan Niazi, fashioned his skull into a cup and drank his blood in it"

We know that this is factually incorrect , Chakar Rind was merely a loyal subordinate of Haibat Khan Niazi. Refer to this article for further details. But from this account , we come to know about this interesting old custom of Balochs, drinking blood from the skull of their enemies. I did some research and found another such account,

"During the time of Mirza Khan Pannaey, the Afghan Chief of Sibi (1666-1699 AD) eighteen battles were fought between the Panni Confederacy and the Brahuis of Kalat in the neighbourhood of Sibi or Dhadar (Major H.G. Raverty does not make a mention of these but other historians belonging to the opposite sides namely, Mullah Fazil and Akhund Muhammad Sidique Akhbar-ul-Abrar 1854 mentioned these). In one of such battles Bahar Khan Kurak Pannaey wounded Mir Ahmad Qambrani, the Chief of Kalat. The Brahuis left the battlefield; the Afghans collected the booty, consisting of silken belts and horses of Turki and Tazi breed. Mir Ahmad Qambrani's sister named Bibo gallantly attacked the Pannis. Attired in male garments she fought valiantly and got killed at the hand of Jalal Khan Kurak (A. Aziz Luni Afghans of Frontier Passes Vol-I, p-185). Soon the Brahuis avenged themselves on the Pannis and defeated Rahim Khan Pirang who led the Pannis in the absence of Mirza Khan Pannaey.

Mullah Fazil writes: Mir Ahmad got off his horse to inspect the bodies of some of the Afghan nobles famous for their bravery in the battlefield. He smeared his moustaches with the fat of Syed Abdul Nabi and drank the blood of Shanbay Pirani (Mulla Fazil Nasab Nam-i-Barozi or History of Siwi, 1825 AD).

In 1695 AD, peace prevailed between the two tribes, which was sealed by a happy marriage of Princes Mahnaz the daughter of Mir Ahmad Qambrani with Said Khan Barozaey Panni, the brother of Mirza Khan Pannaey.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
In Ber or Hun (Revenge) section of "Baluch Mayar" (Mayar is Baloch National Code of Honor, Ben or Hun is the Baluch's revenge for blood ), i came upon an interesting account,

"Haibat Khan Niazi general of sher shah suri Arrested one son of Mir Chakar Rind and killed him. When Mir Chakar know about that ,he killed Haibat Khan Niazi, fashioned his skull into a cup and drank his blood in it"

We know that this is factually incorrect , Chakar Rind was merely a loyal subordinate of Haibat Khan Niazi. Refer to this article for further details. But from this account , we come to know about this interesting old custom of Balochs, drinking blood from the skull of their enemies. I did some research and found another such account,

"During the time of Mirza Khan Pannaey, the Afghan Chief of Sibi (1666-1699 AD) eighteen battles were fought between the Panni Confederacy and the Brahuis of Kalat in the neighbourhood of Sibi or Dhadar (Major H.G. Raverty does not make a mention of these but other historians belonging to the opposite sides namely, Mullah Fazil and Akhund Muhammad Sidique Akhbar-ul-Abrar 1854 mentioned these). In one of such battles Bahar Khan Kurak Pannaey wounded Mir Ahmad Qambrani, the Chief of Kalat. The Brahuis left the battlefield; the Afghans collected the booty, consisting of silken belts and horses of Turki and Tazi breed. Mir Ahmad Qambrani's sister named Bibo gallantly attacked the Pannis. Attired in male garments she fought valiantly and got killed at the hand of Jalal Khan Kurak (A. Aziz Luni Afghans of Frontier Passes Vol-I, p-185). Soon the Brahuis avenged themselves on the Pannis and defeated Rahim Khan Pirang who led the Pannis in the absence of Mirza Khan Pannaey.

Mullah Fazil writes: Mir Ahmad got off his horse to inspect the bodies of some of the Afghan nobles famous for their bravery in the battlefield. He smeared his moustaches with the fat of Syed Abdul Nabi and drank the blood of Shanbay Pirani (Mulla Fazil Nasab Nam-i-Barozi or History of Siwi, 1825 AD).

In 1695 AD, peace prevailed between the two tribes, which was sealed by a happy marriage of Princes Mahnaz the daughter of Mir Ahmad Qambrani with Said Khan Barozaey Panni, the brother of Mirza Khan Pannaey.
Seems these acts are done to scare the enemies or sending a message that after your death you will not got to the other world in one piece.

Pak-sarzameen

Seems these acts are done to scare the enemies or sending a message that after your death you will not got to the other world in one piece.
Remind me of the tactics of Dracula, vlad. Here is another account from a balochi site,

"Bijar, one of the nobles of Chakarian age, was killed by the member of a Buledi tribe; his ribs were roasted and thrown outside to feed carrion kites. Consequently, the murdered man's relations caught Haibat Khan, the Buledi chief, dragged him on a high precipice and, to comply with the savage custom of the race, his head was cut off and skull fashioned into a cup, served the victor as a drinking cup which remained for a considerable time among Bijar's family."

Baloch Mayar | Baloch Culture

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Remind me of the tactics of Dracula, vlad. Here is another account from a balochi site,

"Bijar, one of the nobles of Chakarian age, was killed by the member of a Buledi tribe; his ribs were roasted and thrown outside to feed carrion kites. Consequently, the murdered man's relations caught Haibat Khan, the Buledi chief, dragged him on a high precipice and, to comply with the savage custom of the race, his head was cut off and skull fashioned into a cup, served the victor as a drinking cup which remained for a considerable time among Bijar's family."

Baloch Mayar | Baloch Culture
When Mughals invaded Afghanistan, They built a tower with the skull of Pashtuns and other tribes.

Similarly when timur,gaznavi, gohri invaded Delhi, The city was burnt and thousands were massacred in barbaric fashion.

There are tyrants in the middle ages then there are noble men who were rulers and kings. In the business of war and peace a noble one uses the aggression usefully to build his empire constructively, Some gets carried away and behave sadistically.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles