If Raja Raja Chola helped the Rajputs defeat Mahmud of Ghazni

Would Raja Raja Chola have defeated Ghazni ?

• Total voters

ashdoc

Country flag
he was india's most powerful ruler during his time and a defender of the hindu dharma . :thumb:

interestingly , he was a contemporary of mahmud of ghazni , the barbarian invader who raped india 17 times . but mahmud and rajaraja never met in battle as mahmud never invaded south india and rajaraja never went to north india .

so would rajaraja would have been able to defeat mahmud and defend hindu dharma if he had gone to the aid of the hapless rajput kings in the north ?? how about a poll being added to this thread regarding DFIan's opinion on this matter ??

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Re: Emperor Raja Raja Cholan I birthday

he was india's most powerful ruler during his time and a defender of the hindu dharma . :thumb:

interestingly , he was a contemporary of mahmud of ghazni , the barbarian invader who raped india 17 times . but mahmud and rajaraja never met in battle as mahmud never invaded south india and rajaraja never went to north india .

so would rajaraja would have been able to defeat mahmud and defend hindu dharma if he had gone to the aid of the hapless rajput kings in the north ?? how about a poll being added to this thread regarding DFIan's opinion on this matter ??
This great 'Defender of Hindu Dharma' raped more Indian kingdoms than Ghazni himself :pound:

Cholas were an aberration to Aryavarta. And that statue looks like a she-male.

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned

This great 'Defender of Hindu Dharma' raped more Indian kingdoms than Ghazni himself :pound:

-----------
oh, you are from warangal. are you still holding a grudge? Its over a 1000 years ago.:violin:

ashdoc

Country flag

yes , but such rapists were exactly what the doctor ordered to protect india against barbarians like ghazni . as they say in hindi---'' loha lohey ko katata hai '' ( only iron cuts iron---translation for kayal ) .

both rajajaraja and ghazni were of similar capabilities and nature . and rajaraja , as a an ardent devotee of lord shiva , would have doubtlessly fought against an invader who was destroying shiva temples like the one in somnath .

so the question stands.....

Phenom

Even comparing Raja Raja with Ghazni is an insult. The Cholas did attack and plunder neighbouring Hindu Kingdoms but so did the Marathas, Guptas, Mauryas and others. But that in no way compares them with Ghazni and other invaders from outside, because the local Kings never destroyed Temples and idols with a vengeance.[/quote]

When the Cholas invaded Sri Lanka, they did loot and destroy Buddhist monasteries and built Shiva temples over their ruins (some of these Shiva temples built by Cholas still survive today). Remind of you anything?

It is true that Indian dynasties were generally refrained from wanton looting and destruction of religious structures and conducted warfare in a "humane" manner, but the Cholas were an exception to that rule. Even Ghazni never destroyed any mosques.

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned

-------------
You know ashdoc, many think that commander is the reincarnation of Raja Raja Cholan I. :plane:

Phenom

@ashdoc,

Its not clear how much the Cholas knew about what was happening as far north as Gujarat. Even if they did, unless the Cholas had expanded further north into present day MP or Maharastra it would have been logistically impossible for the Cholas to fight Ghazni so far from their homeland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

-----------
oh, you are from warangal. are you still holding a grudge? Its over a 1000 years ago.:violin:

:pound::pound:

Lol, funny @kayal

This great 'Defender of Hindu Dharma' raped more Indian kingdoms than Ghazni himself

---- yeah. I wish went more ape shit.

Only Indians can destroy Indians.:fyeah::tea:

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned

so would rajaraja would have been able to defeat mahmud and defend hindu dharma if he had gone to the aid of the hapless rajput kings in the north ??
---------------------------------------

Ashdoc, u dont understand Tamils. We dont go around picking fights in the name of religion.

We are a peaceful people, minding our own business.

"vantha sandayai vida maattan, valiya sandaikku sela maattaan" (we will not let go a fight brought to us, but we do not go around picki ng fights)

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned

@ashdoc,

Its not clear how much the Cholas knew about what was happening as far north as Gujarat. Even if they did, unless the Cholas had expanded further north into present day MP or Maharastra it would have been logistically impossible for the Cholas to fight Ghazni so far from their homeland.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Raja Rajan's son Rajendra Cholan i conquered parts of Benagal, Burma, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Phenom

^^ @kayal
Ashdoc, u dont understand Tamils. We dont go around picking fights in the name of religion.
Tell that to Srivijaya,
Please read a little more into Chola history, not just from wikipedia.

-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
Raja Rajan's son Rajendra Cholan i conquered parts of Benagal, Burma, Malaysia and Indonesia.
Rajendra Chola didn't conquer these places, those place paid him tribute. (Ofcourse he threaned to attack them if they didn't) But those places were ruled by local rulers and the Cholas had no military infrastructure in place in any of them.

ashdoc

Country flag
---------------------------------------

"vantha sandayai vida maattan, valiya sandaikku sela maattaan" (we will not let go a fight brought to us, but we do not go around picki ng fights)
yeah really ??

then why did rajaraja's son rajendra chola invade southeast asia---one of the rare occasions when an indian army invaded a foreign country and that too successfully .

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
yeah really ??

then why did rajaraja's son rajendra chola invade southeast asia---one of the rare occasions when an indian army invaded a foreign country and that too successfully .

To secure sea trade routes from pirates,

kayal

Tihar Jail
Banned
Why I don't see an Edit button in my posts?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles