If Raja Raja Chola helped the Rajputs defeat Mahmud of Ghazni

Would Raja Raja Chola have defeated Ghazni ?

• Total voters

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
Interestingly, muslims of Tonk in Rajasthan have an Afghan population. Tonk is close to Ranthambhor.
however this is due to pindaris as tonk became muslim principality after those barbarous pindaris glorified by salman khan ( ISI agent ) who under their leader amir khan pindari were afghan mercenaries of the latter day rotten mughal empire.

so it is quite obvious that tonk has afghan population.

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
hat was also the case when Jai Singh and Jaswant Singh went into Deccan against Marathas, with Imperial (mix of Mughal & Rajput) armies.
It halted the otherwise ruthless juggernaut, the systematic conversions etc at least wherever the Rajputs could exercise their influence.
correct.

t is said that when Jaswant Singh died, Aurangzeb had rejoiced by saying "Darwza e Hind Kufra e Shikast' .. 'The door to defeat of Kafir India is open'.
Rathore jaswant singh died on 28 november, 1678 if my book is correct and aurangzeb imposed zaziya on 2 april, 1679.

he meant his words.

I have heard that Marathas had planned to have Rajputana as the retreat passage for their women should the war with Abdali end badly.
Not sure of this one's accuracy though.
It might have been true as in wars with marathas, there was no jauhar as marathas did not rape ladies from enemy side just like rajputs or any other hindu army of that time.

blank_quest

Country flag
correct.

Rathore jaswant singh died on 28 november, 1678 if my book is correct and aurangzeb imposed zaziya on 2 april, 1679.

he meant his words.

It might have been true as in wars with marathas, there was no jauhar as marathas did not rape ladies from enemy side just like rajputs or any other hindu army of that time.
PLEASE tell me the books name.. I have exams so can tell in detail today but am an old member here :) .. just want to know

MAYURA

Tihar Jail
Banned
PLEASE tell me the books name.. I have exams so can tell in detail today but am an old member here :) .. just want to know

it is a hindi book " rajasthan ka itihas" by harishankar sharma and saroj pawa. the publication is jaipur publishing house.

Simple_Guy

however this is due to pindaris as tonk became muslim principality after those barbarous pindaris glorified by salman khan ( ISI agent ) who under their leader amir khan pindari were afghan mercenaries of the latter day rotten mughal empire.
I was reading 'Madhya Pradesh through the Ages' on Google Books. Same is written there. Pindaris were pathans of south India, mercenary with Marathis and Nawab of Bhopal, and they destroyed whole MP, Maharaswhtra, Rajasthan, until crushed by British.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
Re: Emperor Raja Raja Cholan I birthday

Even Ghazni never destroyed any mosques.
Mahmud Ghazni started expanding his kingdom by making wars against the provincial rulers of Khurasan and Transoxiana , Sistan and the outhern of Iran, and Khwarizm, Bukhara, and Samarqand all became his tributaries present day encompassing much of what is now Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and northern India, . And when Multan and other Muslim kingdoms and provinces were invaded , there was a bloodshed and the same plundering . HIs Grand father and father both were Mamluk Slave warriors and he came into power by killing his step brother and the last years of his life , he was fighting with the central asian tribes .

Like the Pakistani establishment , Mahmud Ghazni administration claimed to be serving Islam and in the name of religion was exploiting all the nations and because of this only in his life time his kingdom started to crumble .

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

Mahmud Ghazni started expanding his kingdom by making wars against the provincial rulers of Khurasan and Transoxiana , Sistan and the outhern of Iran, and Khwarizm, Bukhara, and Samarqand all became his tributaries present day encompassing much of what is now Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and northern India, . And when Multan and other Muslim kingdoms and provinces were invaded , there was a bloodshed and the same plundering . HIs Grand father and father both were Mamluk Slave warriors and he came into power by killing his step brother and the last years of his life , he was fighting with the central asian tribes .

Like the Pakistani establishment , Mahmud Ghazni administration claimed to be serving Islam and in the name of religion was exploiting all the nations and because of this only in his life time his kingdom started to crumble .
Did he destroy any mosques, though? Muslims fighting against other Muslims is nothing new, but I do not know of any instance where Ghaznavid forces destroyed a mosque(s) in the course of a conflict. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned

Did he destroy any mosques, though? Muslims fighting against other Muslims is nothing new, but I do not know of any instance where Ghaznavid forces destroyed a mosque(s) in the course of a conflict. Please correct me if I am wrong.
As i have read , he did in Multan and other places specially of Ismails and this was mainly to show that he is the leader of Persian, Iranian, central Asian and India 's Muslim tribes and during that time in North India , islam was mostly in Rajput lands , Gujarat and Jats and was not crossed in central India.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

As i have read , he did in Multan and other places specially of Ismails and this was mainly to show that he is the leader of Persian, Iranian, central Asian and India 's Muslim tribes and during that time in North India , islam was mostly in Rajput lands , Gujarat and Jats and was not crossed in central India.
It would help us if you could cite the source please.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
You are free to disown them, but that doesn't prevent them from being proud of their Rajput origins.

Iirc there is a very famous folklore of Muslim rajputs breaking ranks from the Mughal army to come to the rescue of Hindu Rajputs (Maharana Pratap and Akbar?)
And then there are the Gautam Thakurs of UP.
Gautam in UP West are Brahman. Never heard that someone with a Gautam surname can be a Thakur, as well.

nirranj

Country flag

My contention is that the Cholas and the Ghaznavids were similar in their savagery and warmongering. So yes, if you want you can use the yardstick of "not destroying temples" for the Cholas and compare them in that regard to the Ghaznavids, who refrained from destroying mosques. However, you can also compare the Cholas' destruction of Buddhist monasteries with the Ghaznavid destruction of Hindu temples. The Cholas' sectarian intolerance was truly unique in this regard, as most Indian dynasties were liberal and open-minded in matters of religion and patronized multiple sects. The Guptas and Satavahanas are good examples; they were essentially "Hindu" dynasties who were also great patrons of Buddhism and Jainism. And of course the Mauryas.
Hope You have never read anything about the Buddhist Vihara in Nagapattanam.

nirranj

Country flag
I think a Crusade like expedition should be added to the options in voting.

In my opinion, We should think and debate on a Crusade like expedition against the Afghans and the Arabs to protect the traditional lands of bharatvarsha.

What will be the strengths of the contemporary kingdoms of India vis a vis the Arabs and Afghans and what are their weaknesses. How a expedition shoud have been planned and how and when the enemies are to be attacked. Here not only the Hindu kingdoms but the Buddhist kingdoms should also be included as they are part of Bharata.

So a Alliance between the Cholas, Chalukyas, Pala's, Rajputs should be worked out and this aliance should fight the invaders and take the fight to the invaders homeland and eliminate the threat.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned

It would help us if you could cite the source please.
During the attack on Multan by Sultan Mahmud in ad 1009-10, a large number of Qaramita were massacred and the Shi'i mosque was left to decay, being reduced to a barn-floor.

page 285
History of Science, Philosophy and Culture in Indian Civilization
General Editor D.P. Chattopadhyaya
Volume VII Part 2
Religious Movements and Institutions in Medieval India
edited by J.S. GREWAL
Project of History of Indian Science, Philosophy and Culture OXFORD

page 139
Organized Crime and Its Containment: A Transatlantic Initiative
edited by C. J. C. F. Fijnaut, James

There are even detailed account of the plundering of Multan and Mansura including mosques but those are not in English but in Persian and Urdu .

Mahmud Ghazni was against the Ismailis of Multan and it was not just this main mosque , Mahmud Ghazni destroyed many Ismaili mosques in Masura and even in Afghanistan, Iran . And during that time Fatimids were waiting for their Messiah to come similar like the Iranians are waiting for the Mahdi .

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Gautamanas must be something of an nondescript aberration in some small village of Missi in the Bidinki sub-division of Fatehpur whereas Gautam's are a politically & economically powerful, respected & numerically significant community throughout multiple districts of Western UP. They abound in Muzaffarnagar (Meerut-Saharanpur/Rishikesh/Haridwar region), deemed to be richest district in India. Anyone who has ever spent some time in Western UP would tell you that.

Gautam Brahmins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gautamanas & Gautam cannot be interchangeably used. Hope that clears your confusion.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@TrueSpirit1

Gautamanas must be something of an nondescript aberration in some small village of Missi in the Bidinki sub-division of Fatehpur
Their very existence supports my original post made 6 months back

whereas Gautam's are a politically & economically powerful, respected & numerically significant community throughout multiple districts of Western UP.
I specifically mentioned Gautam Thakurs.

Gautam Rajputs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They abound in Muzaffarnagar (Meerut-Saharanpur/Rishikesh/Haridwar region), deemed to be richest district in India. Anyone who has ever spent some time in Western UP would tell you that.
I believe Haridwar and Rishikesh come in Uttarakhand. These districts are definitely not richest in India, not even close.

I haven't spent enough time in this region, even though most of my paternal relatives are settled here.

Gautam Brahmins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gautamanas & Gautam cannot be interchangeably used. Hope that clears your confusion.
Gautam Thakurs doesn't refer to Gautam Brahmins but Gautam Rajputs. I am sorry you were unaware of this subdivision of Rajputs and got confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Their very existence supports my original post made 6 months back.
Sorry, I didn't get the context.

Gautamanas & Gautam cannot be interchangeably used. Some Muslims' claim (who are restricted to some nondescript village of Missi) to be Rajput at the same time deserves nothing beyond ridicule. Even if their ancestors were Rajput in some distant antiquity, it meant zilch since the moment they adopted Islam, in keeping with tenets & principles of Islam.

I believe Haridwar and Rishikesh come in Uttarakhand.
I was alluding towards the agrarian belt in which Gautams predominantly dwell. Meerut-Muzaffarnagar-Saharanpur-UdhamSIngh Nagar-Haridwar-Rishikesh is one belt, simply the richest agrarian belt in in world. When you visit it, you would forget farmlands of Punjab: the vast sizes & the unending expanses of verdure.

Second, Muzaffarnagar has consistently been the richest (or among the richest districts in India, since decades; expected you to know that), & this is what I wrote:

They abound in Muzaffarnagar (Meerut-Saharanpur/Rishikesh/Haridwar region), deemed to be richest district in India. Anyone who has ever spent some time in Western UP would tell you that.
Notice the conspicuous usage of brackets in the above sentence, which leaves little doubt about what it intends to convey.

So, I joined two facts in 1 sentence above:

1) Muzaffarnagar is deemed to be richest.
2) Gautams abound in this belt (Meerut-Saharanpur/Rishikesh/Haridwar region).

These districts are definitely not richest in India, not even close.
Not all of these districts, Muzaffarnagar alone (as stressed above), but Meerut is quite close economically, as well.
Surprised, are you ?

I haven't spent enough time in this region, even though most of my paternal relatives are settled here.
So, you can easily ask them what do they think of Gautams. Within a jiffy & without a second thought, you would get an unequivocal answer. The same answer that anyone from West UP would give you.

Gautam Thakurs doesn't refer to Gautam Brahmins but Gautam Rajputs. I am sorry you were unaware of this subdivision of Rajputs and got confused.
Unfortunately, Gautam Thakurs are restricted to wiki. Please ask your relatives.

Gautamanas & Gautam cannot be interchangeably used & this is what that ToI article was doing: The Muslim Rajputs of UP - Times Of India

This is what happens when clueless reporters who have no connection or in-depth knowledge of a region indulge in yellow journalism.

As for what Gautam surname implies, your relatives know the best. They have lived there unlike the ToI reporter or the wiki article which has just one reference, none other to corroborate & no contemporary reference.

But, what source can be more contemporary than who have spent their lives in the Doab.

AdityaG

I still find it weird that Hindu rulers preferred to fight against each other, instead of allying against their common enemy: Muslim invaders.

Global Defence

Articles