Indian Culture

Rebelkid

I went out side to forum mall in Bangalore today but could not help but become kinda upset at the huge growth of western lifestyle. Why in the world is generation X Indians thinking western lifestyle is Modern lifestyle . I believe in the next coupla decades the very identity of what India has, which is its culture will be lost. Most of the educated youth believe western lifestyle is modern.

I really have been really worried about this, i know its a man's personal choice to choose his lifestyle, but still our cultural heritage and lifestyle is far far better than any western lifestyle . This is mainly one reason i have no problem with saas bahu serials, which help highlighting Indian culture with a lotta Drama ofcourse..

I really want everyone's thoughts on this. I fear we are loosing our grip on Indian culture and society
Seriously i would prefer a girl with a salwar kameez with a bindhi and long hair than someone wearing skirts shorter than my underwear..

Rebelkid

Indian culture and generation X

'INDIA' WHICH is known for its rich culture and heritage is currently struggling to keep intact her own traditions and values. The culture which we are showing to the world is on the verge of extinction in our so-called metropolitan cities.

Despite Indian culture being one of the richest cultures in the world, Indians are still being influenced by Western culture especially the young generation or the so-called generation X. Indian culture is good enough to influence people all around the world but the saddest part is that our own youth are influenced by West. The shocking thing is that they do not know much about their own rich heritage. There has been enormous amount of effect of Western culture on our youth. Joint family tradition which is India's biggest asset is now vanishing under the shadow of Western culture and people especially youth prefer nuclear families.

In this so-called modern society, we are losing our rich heritage because we are influenced by our Western counterparts. And by some extent electronic media is also responsible as it portrays West as the epitome of refinment and class at the cost of our traditions and values.

India is an independent country and it is the responsibility of every Indian to keep our culture and heritage intact and we should be proud of our rich culture. It is not right to stop whatever we have learnt from Western culture but to maintain our dignity we have to set an example that there are countries like us, who can set as an example for all.

We the people of this beautiful country should come forward and take steps to preserve our rich and heritage culture so that the next generation can appreciate and feel proud of the same.

Rebelkid

lol..if u wanna stop that..elect our Racist party...
Rascist party ? not a single political party cares a** sh*t about INdain culture, they only care about votes and $$$ and they will go to any level to achieve that....

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Media has popularized so called western lifestyle in such a way that younger generation view them as being "cool" and Indian traditions as being ancient history.

Since most of the people are generally sheep and follow others because they dont want to look/act differently you see most of the young generation in urban areas trying to copy western lifestyle.

Please highlight what parts bothered you when you were in mall ?

Rebelkid

Media has popularized so called western lifestyle in such a way that younger generation view them as being "cool" and Indian traditions as being ancient history.

Since most of the people are generally sheep and follow others because they dont want to look/act differently you see most of the young generation in urban areas trying to copy western lifestyle.

Please highlight what parts bothered you when you were in mall ?
Girl's wearing Baniyan type dress,extreme low (chest area >.>) shirt, i mean extreme, jeans worn below the butt and skirts shorter than my underwear(literally).. seriously , 4 more decades and being nude in the mall will be cool and the general extreme ultra modern western dress we see..

Last edited:

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
First of all thanx to Rkid for bringing a subject on an ectopic view on our changing life style and burrowed western atttributes and again setting western standards as Indian way of living. Especially as the current generation love to emulate whatever they watch on media and internet,Indian female attire is dimensionally getting shorter as the time/generations ensue with an inversely proptional limit.For eg take a look at this our few movie starts/models from past /present

in 1940s

in 1970s

in 1990s

in 2010s

Are we heading for an Oriental identity crisis in another 20 years I dunno..However
I feel relinquishing our cultural identity would make us more vulgur than more attractive.

How many of us would accept our partners/our siblings/our kids in everyday life in our own home get along with inappropriate dressing in all occassionswith a lack of reverence to our grandparents or our parents presence is a moot point.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Girls wearing revealing clothes is fault of parents. I know plenty of girls wearing mini skirts and flashing there cleavage....personally i dont have a problem with it. But id have a problem with it if it were my sister,wife,daughter wearing the same.

Yes i have double standards. :)

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Man, I don't care what girls wear or what young people think is "cool", as long as HYDERABAD BIRYANI, the BEST DISH IN THE WORLD, still exists :)

Just this picture is making me so hungry...

Indian food is the best part of Indian culture

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I personally prefer delhi biryani...hyderabadi biryani is overrated.

devgupt

Country flag
I have heard these comments many times.
Now the fact is the girls who were wearing these dresses- they certainly were someone's daughter/sister.
And it implies that their family members approve of it

Culture is an ever changing entity and today our culture is going in that direction.We adopt the culture which we feel is superior and currently the west is winning hands down

Last edited:

Rebelkid

The Question is not what girls are wearing, the question is are we loosing our culture ?

the girls wearing part was just an example....

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The Question is not what girls are wearing, the question is are we loosing our culture ?

the girls wearing part was just an example....
no.

in time the whole world will have one culture and one common language....be it 100 years from now or 1000 or 5000 years. Even villager uses one or two english words.

It is inevitable!

Rebelkid

NO ...not really, people can easily co-exist without having their cultures forgotten, just look at the CWG event and think about it for a minute, don't just give up on everything and have " Zhindagi aise hi hai" attitude...

I believe today's CWG opening ceremony re-enforces my point..

@dev: tell me one good reason to believe western culture is superior ? watching CWG do you believe western culture would have put such a perfomance ?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
NO ...not really, people can easily co-exist without having their cultures forgotten, just look at the CWG event and think about it for a minute, don't just give up on everything and have " Zhindagi aise hi hai" attitude...

I believe today's CWG opening ceremony re-enforces my point..
That is all well and good but eventually whole world will get integrated. It will be a mixture of cultures not only western.

Rebelkid

That is all well and good but eventually whole world will get integrated. It will be a mixture of cultures not only western.
I don't care about mixed culture, but i do care about people thinking Indian culture is backward culture and western is modern culture.

devgupt

Country flag
West ruled/dominated Asia for a long time. And the slaves do tend to ape their masters.
And after that came US - and their own definition of personal freedom as supreme. This idea has its followers - and it makes more admirers of them everyday. Young people are generally rebellious and in western culture they do find an attraction - their idea of personal freedom and 'me at the center of everything' attitude of west.
The movies they produce, the music they all have an appeal to youth and to instincts a youth have and that's why they are attracted to it.

And its not only about the base stuff. They do produce high quality serious stuff.Hollywood is far ahead of us - not only in technology, but in narration and this is not me but Aamir khan's words
So people find lot of good things in them -at both ends of spectrum.

I am not saying that I find western culture superior to Indian culture but I am giving you the reasons what the youth like in them.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I don't care about mixed culture, but i do care about people thinking Indian culture is backward culture and western is modern culture.
who said Indian culture is backward ? people who think that are copy-cat westerners.

One point you missed to highlight was people moving away from family........like children living seperately from parents and thus in old age no one to look after parents.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I am not sure if the Indian culture is progressing all around ? Khap Panchayats in Haryana, Islamists in Bengal-Kerala, Tribal rural societies of UP, Bihar, MP, Rajasthan etc, and then you have Rajni saar temples in the South.

On the positive side at least in the urban middle classes the youth is taking to ancient Indian cultural practices like vastu shashtra, yoga, ayurveda etc. and leaving the stupid middle ages practices like sati, casteism, female foeticide etc.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles