Israel Developing 'Underground Iron Dome' to Combat Palestinian Tunnel

sorcerer

Country flag
Israel Developing 'Underground Iron Dome' to Combat Palestinian Tunnels

Israel is developing a system that would detect tunneling at a distance, as a way to deter any terrorist attacks.

The system is being developed by a defense electronics company in conjunction with the Israeli Defense Ministry and is based on a series of sensors to detect any movement.

Israeli officials stepped up development of the system after last summer's 50-day conflict with Hamas. Israeli authorities found 32 "attack tunnels" built by Hamas, with one even getting right under the border. In that instance, Hamas fighters were able to emerge from the tunnels inside Israel and ambush troops, with some succeeding in escaping back to Gaza.

The new system is being praised as the underground equivalent of the Iron Dome, the Israeli system that interdicts nearly 90 percent of rockets fired into populated areas.

The estimated cost of fully constructing the new system is $3.5 million per mile along the entire 35-mile border between Gaza and Israel.

Read more: Israel Developing 'Underground Iron Dome' to Combat Palestinian Tunnels / Sputnik International

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Re: Israel Developing 'Underground Iron Dome' to Combat Palestinian Tu

We need this at LOC

Blackwater

chak looo...:thumb::thumb:

but only with govt to govt deal:p:p:p

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

It is pretty expensive. I think building tunnels is also expensive, so we should let Pakistan bleed economically through these ventures.

Although, I think it is much cheaper to come to India through porous borders in Nepal and Bangladesh. Not much incentive for Pakis to build tunnels!

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

It is pretty expensive. I think building tunnels is also expensive, so we should let Pakistan bleed economically through these ventures.

Although, I think it is much cheaper to come to India through porous borders in Nepal and Bangladesh. Not much incentive for Pakis to build tunnels!
If India ignores the potential of dangers of tunnels as you have tried to sweep it under the carpet than we are going to be in a big trouble. I have been thinking of the same when some type of tunnels digging operation was detected on our Western border in the district of Sargodha. What if they reach deep inside our borders and place the nukes? Here are some links for you to read and comment.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tunn...v&sa=X&ei=zeAzVfOmAcWHsQSN1oGwDg&ved=0CEIQsAQ
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...D3UlCvQVYsehDiB-I30XXyg&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cWc

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tunn...v&sa=X&ei=zeAzVfOmAcWHsQSN1oGwDg&ved=0CE8Q7Ak

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

If India ignores the potential of dangers of tunnels as you have tried to sweep it under the carpet than we are going to be in a big trouble. I have been thinking of the same when some type of tunnels digging operation was detected on our Western border in the district of Sargodha. What if they reach deep inside our borders and place the nukes? Here are some links for you to read and comment.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tunn...v&sa=X&ei=zeAzVfOmAcWHsQSN1oGwDg&ved=0CEIQsAQ
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...D3UlCvQVYsehDiB-I30XXyg&bvm=bv.91071109,d.cWc

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tunn...v&sa=X&ei=zeAzVfOmAcWHsQSN1oGwDg&ved=0CE8Q7Ak
It boils down to cost in the end my friend.

1) Place the nukes and then blow them. We will know Pakistan did it. I do not see the difference if they use nukes on their missile or in a tunnel. The hazard is the same and Indian reaction would be same. Why should we increase the defence cost for this scenario, when our nuclear doctrine can solve the purpose.

2) Tunnels are themselves costly to make. So lets say Pakistan becomes successful in building few tunnels. If they use it for too big movement of infiltrators we will notice it whether or not we spend 3 million $ for one km. If they can only move small number of infiltrators, then tunnel is not useful and they won't build it. I am sure current satellites can look at standard build-up of tunnels, which would bring the cost of tunnel even higher for Pakis.

Just because there have been some tunnels, does not mean we should go for buying useless expensive tech.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag

It boils down to cost in the end my friend.

1) Place the nukes and then blow them. We will know Pakistan did it. I do not see the difference if they use nukes on their missile or in a tunnel. The hazard is the same and Indian reaction would be same. Why should we increase the defence cost for this scenario, when our nuclear doctrine can solve the purpose.

2) Tunnels are themselves costly to make. So lets say Pakistan becomes successful in building few tunnels. If they use it for too big movement of infiltrators we will notice it whether or not we spend 3 million $ for one km. If they can only move small number of infiltrators, then tunnel is not useful and they won't build it. I am sure current satellites can look at standard build-up of tunnels, which would bring the cost of tunnel even higher for Pakis.

Just because there have been some tunnels, does not mean we should go for buying useless expensive tech.
It depends who is paying for it. The leadership in Pakistan and China is obsessed with gaining upper hand in the Indian subcontinent. China has the reserve funds and Pakistan has no vision for their country other than defeat and capture Indian territory starting from Kashmir which is lethal mixture for the region.
If they only realize the consequences of their game than they would not have started 1965 and Kargil wars for which they are still paying and fighting to regain their honourable place in the International community.

I agree with you that satellites can help us with monitoring but once the tunnels have been dug, we do not know what is going on that is why we have to keep ahead of their activities and procure technology that can penetrate the deepest core of earth near for early detection of activities if any thing is going on. We should also focus on developing and improving the technology in India and also filter the same from foreign suppliers. We have to have deterence in place instead of wait for surprises as was the case of Kargil invasion which was above ground. We have to know our weakness and strengths of our two enemies.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

It depends who is paying for it. The leadership in Pakistan and China is obsessed with gaining upper hand in the Indian subcontinent. China has the reserve funds and Pakistan has no vision for their country other than defeat and capture Indian territory starting from Kashmir which is lethal mixture for the region.
If they only realize the consequences of their game than they would not have started 1965 and Kargil wars for which they are still paying and fighting to regain their honourable place in the International community.

I agree with you that satellites can help us with monitoring but once the tunnels have been dug, we do not know what is going on that is why we have to keep ahead of their activities and procure technology that can penetrate the deepest core of earth near for early detection of activities if any thing is going on. We should also focus on developing and improving the technology in India and also filter the same from foreign suppliers. We have to have deterence in place instead of wait for surprises as was the case of Kargil invasion which was above ground. We have to know our weakness and strengths of our two enemies.
I understand all your points but I think tunnels do not have much strategic value to Pakistan which would require huge investment with low return.

Situation of Israel on the other hand is very different. They have problem of small population and would like to avoid even small collateral damage in terms of human life and hence the technology. We have 3000km of border and using this technique would imply 9 billion$. It is much preferable to allow some collateral damage and use firing on the border to teach Pak a lesson once any such tunnel is discovered.

Blackwater

cant be possible as long as Islamic brotherhood and blackmail by pakis is present and kufur India and Israel present

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

cant be possible as long as Islamic brotherhood and blackmail by pakis is present and kufur India and Israel present
I meant let them build the tunnel, spend a lot of money and then we find it with small collateral damage and damage it. To top the punishment we fire artillery on the border for a week. Much cheaper than 9 billion$ and more fun.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles