What is your best cold war era battle rifle?

Which battle rifle would ou rather prefer?

• Total voters

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
The original was available as both automatic and without. That is not really difference.

I have heard that the Indian clones had some uniquely made parts, but by and large, it was the same as the original one.
My uncles who seved in IA had told that indian made SLRs were able to fire in automatic mode as against the common belief that it is semi auto only.
They said it was done by changing some settings done in armoury.That was the technique used during Srilankan ops to counter burst fire of AKs of LTTE till East German AKs were imported.

syncro

Country flag
One the best western battle rifle was the Beretta BM 59... a cheap modification of M1 Garand... better in all aspects respect to the expensive and delicate M14 (maybe only superior as accuracy in very long shot, but the BM 59 have also a 2 inchs short barrell)... the other marginal defect was the too high cycling rate... over 750 round/minute, but full auto with a battle rifle is a idiocy ;)

The muzzle tri-compensator working faboulous and as the 7.62 NATO round kick as mule, sustain firing was always controllable.

New MP.net Members Intro Thread - Page 129

mine and my Beretta BM 59... uff I hate those modern small assault rifles :/

at the time of the photo: the couple Beretta BM 59 and MG 42/59 for Italy and G-3 and MG-3 for Germany as standard squad weapons was unmatched for firepower, accuracy and reliabity ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ky Loung

FN FAL also known as the "right arm of the free world." Follow by M14. G3 is so overated and pretty much failure IMO.

H&K is going bankrupt again. 3rd time in almost 4 decades.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
'Battle', 'Assault' are terminology more for marketing the product. Sound impressive and that is about all. Of course, some spin will be given, but then it will be what it is, spin.
Officially M-14 is

United States Rifle, 7.62 mm, M14

In my active service during 60s referred to as my rifle or my weapon, never heard terms "battle" or "assault."

An armorer was required to covert to selective fire.

The M16 rifle, was officially designated Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm, and was selective fire. Saw my first one in 1966.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
My uncles who seved in IA had told that indian made SLRs were able to fire in automatic mode as against the common belief that it is semi auto only.
They said it was done by changing some settings done in armoury.That was the technique used during Srilankan ops to counter burst fire of AKs of LTTE till East German AKs were imported.
Armorer is your friend.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Officially M-14 is

United States Rifle, 7.62 mm, M14

In my active service during 60s referred to as my rifle or my weapon, never heard terms "battle" or "assault."

An armorer was required to covert to selective fire.

The M16 rifle, was officially designated Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm, and was selective fire. Saw my first one in 1966.
Same here.

apple

H&K is going bankrupt again. 3rd time in almost 4 decades.
Is that so? Do you know what's going to happen to H&K? Will they be forced to stop production?

Not entirely relevant, but the Australian Army used to use FN-FALs. We stopped using them ages ago and some time after that we got some American AR-15 derivative in 7.62 (forget/ don't know what they were called). These new rifles were, apparently, sort of OK. But we got some, new build, M14's for use in Afghanistan. Not sure if we are still using the M14 but our standard, new, "Designated Marksmen's Rifle" is an H&K (not the G3).

Ky Loung

Is that so? Do you know what's going to happen to H&K? Will they be forced to stop production?

Not entirely relevant, but the Australian Army used to use FN-FALs. We stopped using them ages ago and some time after that we got some American AR-15 derivative in 7.62 (forget/ don't know what they were called). These new rifles were, apparently, sort of OK. But we got some, new build, M14's for use in Afghanistan. Not sure if we are still using the M14 but our standard, new, "Designated Marksmen's Rifle" is an H&K (not the G3).
Yes rumors is H&K is going bankrupt. I do not know what going to happen when they close their doors. What I can said H&K fans in the USA are panicking. They trying to horde as much H&K guns as their bank account allows. The current $200 mail in rebate help tho, ie fire sale before closing.

Heckler & Koch GmbH Financial Statements
Heckler & Koch GmbH Financial Statements

H&K USA Sold Rumors
HK USA has been SOLD!

H&K rebate
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/attachme...bate-hk-days-rebate-offer-2014-tear-sheet.pdf

A jab at HK
HK. Because you suck. And we hate you. | Monster Hunter Nation

Heckler & Koch GmbH has load of debt and sucking on government tits can only goes so far.

Rumor has it H&K USA been sold to a billionaire between 1 million to 10 million. It include H&K gray room collection (H&K historical collection of firearms). Keep in mind H&K USA and H&K GmbH are different. H&K GmbH own H&K USA and if the rumors are true they no longer the owner. H&K GmbH design and produce H&K firearms. H&K USA assemble H&K firearms in the USA sent from Germany for sale in the USA.

Gun manufacture selling guns to civilians in the USA have been making record profits for the past 6 years. Between 2012-2013 gun manufacture stop talking new orders because they couldn't meet US civilian demands. Over 200 millions guns sold in the last 16 or so.

H&K for decades decided to forgo civilian market. Only recently did they made an effort to enter the civilian market. Firearm manufactures needs a lot of government subsidies to survive if there is no civilian market (gun banned). That's why UK, Frence, and so many countries no longer produce their own small arms.

Non US firearm companies that are still in business must relied on the largest consumers of firearms, ie USA. Sig, Glock, Beretta, CZ, Taurus, etc. They sell their firearms without any hesitation. H&K on the other hand do not open their entire product line for civilian sells and the firearms they offer in most cases overpriced. For example: Glock the most popular handgun manufacture in USA. Glock cost 500 or less. While HK UPS $800 and up.

Background checks is the only thing in the USA to determine how many firearms are being sold in the USA. It is by no means accurate. One background check doesn't mean one gun sold. In other words a customer buy 5 guns, he/she only need to fill out one background check at the cash register. The next day the same customer decided he/she want to buy another gun, that's another background check. Background checks are not need if you build your gun at home. Some states if you have a conceal carry permit you do not need background checks. Some states if you're in the military or law enforcement you do not need a background check.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/reports/1998_2014_state_program_to_date_purpose_ids.pdf

FBI — Gun Checks/NICS

Buds gun shop one of the largest online gun store in the USA.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

Slickguns, 24/7 guns deals listing. Best gun deals on the internet.
http://www.slickguns.com/

One last thing M14 is nowhere as accurate as AR10/SR25. Armalite pattern rifle are the most accurate auto loader firearm every made.

Last edited:

apple

Yes rumors is H&K is going bankrupt. I do not know what going to happen when they close their doors.

One last thing M14 is nowhere as accurate as AR10/SR25. Armalite pattern rifle are the most accurate auto loader firearm every made.
Suspect the Australian, and a whole lot of other, armies buy their H&K products not from H&K USA, but from the parent company... Even if they manage to keep production lines open, it would be hard for them to get new military contracts if the can't guarantee they will be able to provide servicing and meet additional orders in the future.

SR25, that was the rifle Australia had(/has???). What I'm about to say is all heresay i.e. something I read on an internet forum, but it was their accuracy that was our problem with them. Apparently, they are fine when their barrel is cool. But, we were (perhaps) misusing them in Afghanistan and putting too many rounds through them in too short a period of time. While the M14 mightn't be as accurate with a cool barrel, it's less bad than a SR25 when the barrel gets hot. BTW Australia's M14s didn't look like Mr. Ewald's picture, they were very "tacti-cool".

Could maybe add the term Designated Marksmen Rifle to this threads discussion of Battle vs. Assault rifle.

Ky Loung

Suspect the Australian, and a whole lot of other, armies buy their H&K products not from H&K USA, but from the parent company... Even if they manage to keep production lines open, it would be hard for them to get new military contracts if the can't guarantee they will be able to provide servicing and meet additional orders in the future.

SR25, that was the rifle Australia had(/has???). What I'm about to say is all heresay i.e. something I read on an internet forum, but it was their accuracy that was our problem with them. Apparently, they are fine when their barrel is cool. But, we were (perhaps) misusing them in Afghanistan and putting too many rounds through them in too short a period of time. While the M14 mightn't be as accurate with a cool barrel, it's less bad than a SR25 when the barrel gets hot. BTW Australia's M14s didn't look like Mr. Ewald's picture, they were very "tacti-cool".

Could maybe add the term Designated Marksmen Rifle to this threads discussion of Battle vs. Assault rifle.

All barrels will heat up when fire. There nothing to prevent it. The more heat build up the more the group will open up (less accurate). It happen to all firearms. You can migrate the heat by using a heavy barrel. Heavy barrel will heat up slower but it also get rid of the heat slower. There are fluted barrel tries to mimic heavy barrels but without the extra weight.

The M14 will suffer the same heat problem as the SR/25. The M14 take a lot of work and resources to make it accurate (sub MOA). While the AR family (M4, AR15, SR25, M110, etc) all that is need is a heavy barrel and scope. We had a lot of M14 in storage and at the time needed a precision .308 as fast as possible so the military accurized M14. It was design as a stop gap. The m110 replaced most of the accurized m14 in US services. M14 is a great rifle but it has one of the shortest service life in the US military.

H&K GmbH probably going to get a bailout or bought by a big defense contractor. Happen the last two times. Replacement parts is what scaring lot of people. If the replacement parts supplies run out well it's cannibalism time.

It will be funny tho if H&K fanboy are force to buy Pakistan Ordnance Factories replacement parts. That is if POF decide to ship H&K clone parts to the USA. Before H&K start selling parts to civilians, POF setup shop in the USA and made a ton of money selling H&K clone firearms/parts.

Once H&K start to enter the civilian market, POF sales dried off and they retool to make AR15 type rifles. Pakistan Ordnance Factories USA changed their name to Patriot Ordnance Factories USA. Not sure if still they are own by Pakistan Ordnance Factories.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles