Snipers & Sniper Tactics: Photo & Discussion..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I learnt from my grandpa and my uncle, both from Calcutta police. I used to shoot Air Rifles, Air pistols, both in .177 & .22, .22 rimfire rifle, .303 lee enfield rifle and 12 guage shotgun.

With such "private coaching" I used to compete district level for 10mt air rifle shooting with a 10 shot group of 76-80 score.

When we shoot in .22 50mts prone ,,, we close our left eye (for right handed shooters) it helps us to point the bull. @arnabmit where do you learn shooting mate in Kolkata????

Last edited by a moderator:

shom

I learnt from my grandpa and my uncle, both from Calcutta police. I used to shoot Air Rifles, Air pistols, both in .177 & .22, .22 rimfire rifle, .303 lee enfield rifle and 12 guage shotgun.

With such "private coaching" I used to compete district level for 10mt air rifle shooting with a 10 shot group of 76-80 score.
I used to be a member of North Calcutta Rifle Club ,,, never had a chance to fire lee enfield,,, but it used to be a good sniper rifle,,,
During both World Wars and the Korean War, a number of Lee-Enfield rifles were modified for use as sniper rifles. The Australian Army modified 1,612[44] Lithgow SMLE No. 1 Mk. III* rifles by adding a heavy target barrel, cheek-piece, and a World War I era Pattern 1918 telescope, creating the SMLE No. 1 Mk. III* (HT). (HT standing for "Heavy Barrel, Telescopic Sight),[7] which saw service in the Second World War, Korea, and Malaya and was used for Sniper Training through to the late 1970s. There is evidence that some SMLE No. 1 Mk. III* (HT) sniper rifles were used by Australian forces during the later stages of the Vietnam War.
During the Second World War, standard No. 4 rifles, selected for their accuracy during factory tests, were modified by the addition of a wooden cheek-piece, and telescopic sight mounts designed to accept a No. 32 3.5x telescopic sight.[46] This particular sight progressed through three marks with the Mk. 1 introduced in 1942, the Mk. 2 in 1943 and finally the Mk. 3 in 1944. Many Mk. 3s and Mk. 2/1s (Mk. 2s Modified to Mk. 3 standard) were later modified for use with the 7.62 mm NATO L42A1 Sniper Rifle. They were known by the designation Telescope Straight, Sighting L1A1.
Holland and Holland, the famous British sporting gun manufacturers, converted the majority of No. 4 Mk. I (T) sniper rifles, with the rest converted by BSA and, in Canada, Long Branch arsenal.[47] These rifles were extensively employed in various conflicts until the late 1960s, and when the British military switched over to the 7.62x51 NATO round in the 1950s, many of the No. 4 Mk I (T) sniper rifles were converted to the new calibre and designated L42A1.[35] The L42A1 sniper rifle continued as the British Army's standard sniper weapon until the mid-1980s, being replaced by Accuracy International's L96.

screen capture software

free screen capture

picture hosting
Courtesy:- Wikipidia

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
When we shoot in .22 50mts prone ,,, we close our left eye (for right handed shooters) it helps us to point the bull. @arnabmit where do you learn shooting mate in Kolkata????
I first shot .22 for NRA marksmanship awards as a kid in New Hampshire, USA :)

Last edited by a moderator:

shom

I first shot .22 for NRA marksmanship awards as a kid in New Hampshire, USA :)
thats great to know sir,,, shooting here in India is very expensive game,,, for shooting 10 shots in .22 I had to pay 300Rs. And my family income is less than 4 lakhRs per annum. You can understand how much expensive it is,,, also if you want to have your gun then it costs the total of my family income. So if you want to be a shooter in India either you have to be a shooter's someone or from a rich family....

W.G.Ewald

Professional
thats great to know sir,,, shooting here in India is very expensive game,,, for shooting 10 shots in .22 I had to pay 300Rs. And my family income is less than 4 lakhRs per annum. You can understand how much expensive it is,,, also if you want to have your gun then it costs the total of my family income. So if you want to be a shooter in India either you have to be a shooter's someone or from a rich family....
Here in the States now the Department of Homeland Security is buying up ammunition at such a rate that private citizens can't afford it. :-(

shom

Here in the States now the Department of Homeland Security is buying up ammunition at such a rate that private citizens can't afford it. :-(
I have a elder sister staying at Chicago,, she is an NRI,, she says that she pays half the money there to shoot,,, and as the gun laws are lowered she gets to shoot all the assault rifles,, she is so lucky,,,

shom

Anti- Material Rifle Vidhwansak:-

image hosting websites

"¢ Multi Calibre � 12.7 mm, 14.5 mm & 20 mm
"¢ Anti Material Weapon up to the range of 2000 metres
"¢ Manual Bolt Action
"¢ Magazine Feed
"¢ One Minute Change of Calibre (12.7 mm or 14.5 mm or 20 mm)
"¢ Easily carried by Two Men
�

Specifications- 12.7/14.5/20 MM

Ammunition 12.7 × 107 mm 14.5 × 114 mm 20 × 82 mm
Weight

25 kg

29 kg

26 kg

Overall Length

1.7 m

2.015 m

1.795 m

Barrel

8 Grooved, 1.1 m length, Quick Change type

8 Grooved, 1.22 m Length, Quick Change type

8 Grooved, 1 m Length, Quick Change Type

Pitch of Rifle

1: 390 mm

1 : 420 mm

1 : 560 mm

Sights

8 X 42 Power Telescopic Sight with Parallax adjustment

Muzzle Velocity

845 m/s

1,080 m/s

720 m/s

Range

1,800 m

1,800 m

1,300 m
From IOFB website

W.G.Ewald

Professional

shom

IMI Galil 7.62 Sniper Sniper Rifle:-

screenshot program
For use by Indian Army Special Forces.The 7.62 mm Galil Sniper (Galil Tzalafim, or Galatz) is a derivative of the ARM that is used with high quality 7.62x51mm NATO ammunition for consistent accuracy.[4]
ARM:-ARM
The ARM light machine gun variant is additionally equipped with a carrying handle, folding bipod and a larger wooden handguard. The wooden handguard remains cooler during sustained automatic fire and has grooves for bipod storage. When folded, the bipod's legs form a speed chute for rapid magazine insertion; the bipod will form a wire cutter and the rear handguard ferrule, which retains the bipod legs, can be used to open bottles by design, in order to prevent soldiers using magazine lips for this purpose which damaged them.
The precision rifle is a semi-automatic-only rifle with a similar operating system to other Galil variants, but optimised for accuracy. The rifle is fed from a 25-round box magazine. It uses a heavy profile match barrel that is heavier than that used on other variants. It is fitted with a multi-functional muzzle device, which acts as a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake. It can be replaced with a sound suppressor which requires the use of subsonic ammunition for maximum effectiveness.
The weapon was modified with a two-stage trigger mechanism with an adjustable pull force, a wooden buttstock that folds to the right side of the weapon and a heavy-duty bipod, mounted to the forward base of the receiver housing that folds beneath the handguard when not in use. The buttstock is fully adjustable in length and height and features a variable height cheek riser. The rifle comes with mechanical iron sights and an adapter used to mount a telescopic day sight (Nimrod 6x40) or a night sight. The mount is quick-detachable and capable of retaining zero after remounting. The precision rifle is stored in a rugged transport case that comes with an optical sight, mount, filters, two slings (for carrying and firing) and a cleaning kit. Recent production models feature synthetic plastic furniture and a skeletonized metal stock.

screen shot tool

screenshot program

free screenshot software

Last edited:

t_co

A New 'Smart Rifle' Decides When To Shoot And Rarely Misses : All Tech Considered : NPR

New Sniper Rifle with built-in automated trigger technology - you lock on to the target with a laser, hold down the trigger, and then the gun calculates wind, range, and ballistic drop to determine when to fire the bullet. Comes with wifi so you can let your spotter use an iPad or iPhone in lieu of the traditional binoculars.

Freaking awesome.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles