Russian warships heading for Australia as Putin prepares to attend Bri

pmaitra

Re: Russian warships heading for Australia as Putin prepares to attend

Indeed.

Russia is no friend of the US and its vassals and surrogates.

Russia is no superpower these days, but it wants to give the impression that it is.
Sir, why would Putin even want to talk to Abott, the butt of jokes, if you believe this article, considering Australian isn't really a country, but just an extension, and a remnant of the British Empire, with the Queen as the Head of State.

Putin might as well talk to Cameron, or is Cameron too busy arranging for that fine he owes to the EU, and trying to keep the restless Scotts within the UK?

I guess the Saint Andrew's Cross (pun intended) is a nightmare for him these days.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I don't think they go ashore that much on foreign voyages. According to observers Russian tug boat crews don't go ashore much on foreign voyages as they are hidden from public view. They are the part of the Russian Navy (most important) that the Russians do not want the World to see...
Just the point.

While the fleet sailors can go ashore, why not such innocuous tug sailors?

There lies the nub.

If one of them can 'vanish' ;), there could be much that he can spill by 'singing'.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

It is not a matter of "could" anymore, these fleet tug boats are well known to accompany Russian Navy ships on long voyages as insurance against mechanical troubles on its warships.
Believe that and feel happy.

They also have cranes as insurance alongside their SAMs.

The 'could' was what the tugs can do, if one does not close one's eye with unsubstantiated glee.

Last edited:

pmaitra

As always, this tugboat is built in Finland. Without us Russia is going nowhere. I hope they at least have clean and new uniforms when they go on shore.
In which year was that ship built?

I wonder why Russia chose to buy a ship from Finland. The Russian ships Yamal and 50 Years of Victory seem to be far more refined and better built than this tug boat.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

As always, this tugboat is built in Finland. Without us Russia is going nowhere. I hope they at least have clean and new uniforms when they go on shore.
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=...&q=Foreign made ships in Russian Navy&f=false
This does not give any indication that, even in the early days when the Russians had foreign constructed ships, any came from Finland.

This powerful tug that is accompanying the Russia ships to anchor off Australia was made in Finland?

Any links?

I have tried to Google but nothing came up.

jouni

I wonder why Russia chose to buy a ship from Finland. The Russian ships Yamal and 50 Years of Victory seem to be far more refined and better built than this tug boat.
Finland has traditionally supplied Russia with the best ships with ice breaking capabilities. One of the shipyards is even partly owned by Russia. Arctech - Home

It is in the center of Helsinki

Last edited:

pmaitra

Finland has traditionally supplied Russia with the best ships with ice breaking capabilities. One of the shipyards is even owned by Russia. Arctech - Home

I am sure modern Finnish made ships are of good quality. Just this tug boat looks a bit dated, and that ochre colour not only makes it look like a civilian ship, but also reminds me of rust. I wonder what kind of steel was used. I hope not Corten-steel. That would be so yesterday's technology.

apple

Rusting tubs, but a powerful weapon nonetheless.

Yesterday's trawlers could be today's tug - both apparently looking like jokes!
No Ray, once again you don't understand what I am writing about. I wasn't just joking about the tug. I was joking about the Russian military as a whole.

Wish the Russian's good luck with the intelligence they'll be getting. Russian's know people don't use MS-DOS anymore, right?

Indeed.

Russia is no friend of the US and its vassals and surrogates.

Russia is no superpower these days, but it wants to give the impression that it is.
And Australia cares "Mightie Stronk Bear Rushsia" doesn't want to be our friends...

jouni

50 years of victory, stood unfinished almost 15 years and was launched 2007. It was no victory for Russian shipbuilding industry.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Girding for Battle: The Arms Trade in a Global Perspective, 1815-1940 - Google Books
This does not give any indication that, even in the early days when the Russians had foreign constructed ships, any came from Finland.

This powerful tug that is accompanying the Russia ships to anchor off Australia was made in Finland?

Any links?

According to this Russian website Fotiy Krylov was built in Finland in 1989:

The Fotiy Krylov was built back in 1989 together with her twin Nikolai Chiker in Finland, and after running several tests, this class of ships had been recorded in the Guinness Book of records. At power capacity 25,000 hp. they both are able to tow ships with displacement of up to 25,000 even in heavy seas.
And I must also say that according to the same Russian website this tug boat is called a "rescue boat.

Ship repair center Dalzavod OJSC (Far Eastern Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Center) has completed repairing of rescue ship Fotiy Krylov.
So there you go. It's officially a rescue ship. Used to rescue what? What else than mighty Russian warships of the Pacific Fleet in distress...

jouni

Girding for Battle: The Arms Trade in a Global Perspective, 1815-1940 - Google Books

Any links?

Ships of just one Finnish shipyard, and this thug was not built here but in Rauma.

List of ships built at Hietalahti shipyard (401 onwards) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

No Ray, once again you don't understand what I am writing about. I wasn't just joking about the tug. I was joking about the Russian military as a whole.

Wish the Russian's good luck with the intelligence they'll be getting. Russian's know people don't use MS-DOS anymore, right?
Unlike you I know the Russian military. Your knowledge is 'borrowed' knowledge.

They are down, but not out.

And when you are down, your best weapon is knowledge about the adversaries to know exactly what one is up against and how best to use the meagre resources available to deter since defeating is well nigh impossible.

Further, the blind charged with arrogance cannot see the reality.

The Soviet Navy could never match the US Navy and yet they had to know about the Western naval activities. They offset the weakness by deploying decrypt, rusty, innocuous trawlers that were the bugbear to US Navy activities. Read what the US Navy officer had to say in that post where I appended it?

Same goes for your jocular interpretation of the tug with the Russian ships off Australia.

Russians are laughing up their sleeves.

Do they use MS DOS?

Funny, you feel so of a country on whose space shuttle US and other astronauts hitch a ride to the Space Station.

And Australia cares "Mightie Stronk Bear Rushsia" doesn't want to be our friends...
Actually, who takes Australia to be a nation worth anything beyond her natural resources that is there for the picking to the highest bidder?

But for the protective umbrella of the US, Australia is as good as Burkina Faso militarily.

Last edited:

pmaitra

50 years of victory, stood unfinished almost 15 years and was launched 2007. It was no victory for Russian shipbuilding industry.
Akademik Shokalskiy is a better product from Finland. It's hull design is the same as the Yamal. 50 years of Victory is a major improvement in ice-breaking technology. Masa-Yards has done pioneering work with Double Acting Ships.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Unlike you I know the Russian military. Your knowledge is 'borrowed' knowledge.

They are down, but not out.

And when you are down, your best weapon is knowledge about the adversaries to know exactly what one is up against and how best to use the meagre resources available to deter since defeating is well nigh impossible.

Further, the blind charged with arrogance cannot see the reality.

The Soviet Navy could never match the US Navy and yet they had to know about the Western naval activities. They offset the weakness by deploying decrypt, rusty, innocuous trawlers that were the bugbear to US Navy activities. Read what the US Navy officer had to say in that post where I appended it?

Same goes for your jocular interpretation of the tug with the Russian ships off Australia.

Russians are laughing up their sleeves.

Do they use MS DOS?

Funny, you feel so of a country on whose space shuttle US and other astronauts hitch a ride to the Space Station.

Actually, who takes Australia to be a nation worth anything beyond her natural resources that is there for the picking to the highest bidder?

But for the protective umbrella of the US, Australia is as good as Burkina Faso militarily.

Fotiy Krylov is the most powerful tug boat in the World. I don't think you need all that power just to repair hydrophones of resupply submarines. That power is there for serious pulling tasks, like pulling Varyag class cruiser. In fact as I said earlier no less than a Russian website has called the ship as a "rescue ship":

Ship repair center Dalzavod OJSC (Far Eastern Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Center) has completed repairing of rescue ship Fotiy Krylov. xxx

The Fotiy Krylov was built back in 1989 together with her twin Nikolai Chiker in Finland, and after running several tests, this class of ships had been recorded in the Guinness Book of records. At power capacity 25,000 hp. they both are able to tow ships with displacement of up to 25,000 even in heavy seas.

Dalzavod OJSC completes repairing of rescue tugboat Fotiy Krylov (photo)

Last edited:

jouni

I am today in Russia, it is good to write about ships. Criticizing Russia too much and at the same time enjoying the hospitality of their wonderful people would not feel right ;)

pmaitra

Fotiy Krylov is the most powerful tug boat in the World. I don't think you need all that power just to repair hydrophones of resupply submarines. That power is there for serious pulling tasks, like pulling Varyag class cruiser. In fact as I said earlier no less than a Russian website has called the ship as a "rescue ship":
Tug boats are tug boats. Their job is to tug other disabled boats.

Example: USNS Apache (T-ATF-172) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pmaitra

I am today in Russia, it is good to write about ships. Criticizing Russia too much and at the same time enjoying the hospitality of their wonderful people would not feel right ;)
That is very nice of you. You should be thankful to the Slavic people for liberating you from those tribute extorting Vikings. :)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

As long as you don't earn you r living there I don't see any problem you giving some constructive criticism... ;)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Tug boats are tug boats. Their job is to tug other disabled boats.

Example: USNS Apache (T-ATF-172) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So in every long journey Russian warships are always in danger of being disabled? That's why they always have ocean going tug boats with them! The US Navy and other Western Navies are not known to attach tug boats to their Naval flotilla for long deployments...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles