CSTO is going to have own Air Force

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Russia's NATO to have its own Air Force

Taking into account the latest crisis events that include the Steadfast Jazz Exercise in Poland and the Zapad 2013 event, as well as simulated attack on Sweden, it is interesting that the Russian NATO counterpart, CSTO, is going to have own air force, as it was revealed by Russian documents last month.

Collective Security Treaty Organization is an intergovernmental military alliance between Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia and Tajikistan.

The eventual Collective Air Force (CAF) would be equipped with combat helicopters (provided by Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan) to conduct CAS (Close Air Support) missions, and cargo planes, to move CSTO forces supporting the alliance's operations.

The CAF would have in Kant airport, in Kyrgyzstan, where a Russian Air Force contingent is already deployed, its main operating base.

However, the information may not be totally viable, as the budget of CSTO is tight.

According to defence24.pl analyst, Piotr Maciążek, two upcoming events could led to the creation of such air component.

First, NATO is preparing to withdraw its forces from Afghanistan, leaving the country unstable. The Russians have already claimed that they are going to send some 'peacekeepers' to the ex-Taliban-ruled country.

Second, the succession in Uzbekistan, which has a great chance of destabilizing the region.

Provided it can be funded by the participating countries, each providing the required assets, with its own Air Force, CSTO would have the capability to intervene in the region should the need to police it arise.

The Aviationist » Russia’s NATO to have its own Air Force

DivineHeretic

Country flag
-The Russians have already claimed that they are going to send some 'peacekeepers' to the ex-Taliban-ruled country.

This bit is interesting. I was under the impression that Russia would not want to put its forces on the ground in Afganistan. But then again, some 1-1.5 year back, the Russian Anti-Narcotics (SF units actually) team undertook co-ordinated operations in Afganistan with American SFs. At that time, it seemed like a anti-drugs campaign only, but now it does appear that it could be a re-familiarization exercise before boots are stationed on the ground.

Although I'd still be skeptical, seeing as no other official statement or information has come out stating that boots will be placed on Afgan soil. But if true, it offers us some interesting possibilities.

Austin

Officials have denied they will send any force to Afghanistan

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
-The Russians have already claimed that they are going to send some 'peacekeepers' to the ex-Taliban-ruled country.

This bit is interesting. I was under the impression that Russia would not want to put its forces on the ground in Afganistan. But then again, some 1-1.5 year back, the Russian Anti-Narcotics (SF units actually) team undertook co-ordinated operations in Afganistan with American SFs. At that time, it seemed like a anti-drugs campaign only, but now it does appear that it could be a re-familiarization exercise before boots are stationed on the ground.

Although I'd still be skeptical, seeing as no other official statement or information has come out stating that boots will be placed on Afgan soil. But if true, it offers us some interesting possibilities.

They are very apprehensive about fundamentalism, spawned in Pakistan and matured in Afghanistan, spreading to Russia's soft underbelly in the South, be it in the CAR nations or in Southern Russia itself.

pmaitra

Rule of Geopolitics

Whenever there is an imminent power void in your neighbourhood, be ready to fill that void, or else, a hostile power will. Russia will have no other option but to fill that void in Afghanistan, if it wants to prevent it from becoming a threat to the Central Asian republics. This time around, I do not see the US playing the antagonist, but you can trust the Saudis of doing all they can to foment violence and bloodshed.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Seems highly unlikely, what I am interested is, will Iran join the organisation?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles